Semester vs. Quarter System

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

curious5321

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I am currently trying to decide between going to NECO and SUNY and I'm having a really hard time doing this even after making a pros and cons list, so I am trying to add more things to the list and I was wondering what you thought about the semster system (used by NECO) vs. the quarter system (used by SUNY). For undergrad we used a semester system so I just want to know how a quarter system works, how the semester system compares to the quarter system and particularly how it compares to the quarter system when used in optometry school. Is one easier than the other? Would you prefer one over the other? Advantages/Disadvantages?

Thanks in advance for your help/advice!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi Everyone,

I am currently trying to decide between going to NECO and SUNY and I'm having a really hard time doing this even after making a pros and cons list, so I am trying to add more things to the list and I was wondering what you thought about the semster system (used by NECO) vs. the quarter system (used by SUNY). For undergrad we used a semester system so I just want to know how a quarter system works, how the semester system compares to the quarter system and particularly how it compares to the quarter system when used in optometry school. Is one easier than the other? Would you prefer one over the other? Advantages/Disadvantages?

Thanks in advance for your help/advice!
im not sure about graduate school but im currently in the quarter system at my undergrad and i think the best way to put it is that its FAST. it goes by in the blink of an eye and a lot of stuff is learned in that short period of time. some ppl might not think its quite as extensive as the semester system but i wouldnt agree with that.

SCCO has a quarter system. Here's my two cents:

Cons - very fast pace and you take midterms more frequently...very often it's twice a week!
Pros - it's much easier to cram since there is less material, usually about three weeks' material in each midterm. Also, if you don't like your prof, you'll have to put up with him/her for only ten weeks.

Members don't see this ad :)
if you're used to semester system, quarter system will definitely seem really fast for you.
you have to be on top of everything ALL the time.
or else, it's very hard to make up your grade once you have screwed up.
i think for semester it's easier to make up your grade since there are more things that go into your grade...
but if you know u're going to stay on top of everything.. yah it's sometimes easier to just get it over w/. heheh. =p

I'm not sure about optometry school, but at the university level I personally prefer the semester system because I actually learn! I don't think i retain as much material as i do on the quarter imo

In high school I was on the semester system and in undergrad I am on quarters. Honestly, I like quarters better, because tests are over less material (especially finals). Conversely, tests are WAY more frequent and it's very easy to fall behind. It definitely took me some time to transition from semester to quarter.