Senator Casey introduces bill to remove cap on residency slots

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

You can do anesthesia as PP, but the scalability for someone looking to employ a large group of others isn't really there, nor are there areas where the competition is low. Rural areas are the only place where the competition is low, but thanks to the rural pass-through payment legislation that subsidizes CRNAs but not physician anesthesiologists, a physician can't compete in a cost-effective manner. The only real cost-effective way for a physician entrepreneur to start their own anesthesia business would be to start a rural AMC that employed CRNAs exclusively, or at very high (4:1) ratios with anesthesiologists. Anesthesia is a good field for someone that wants to practice medicine, but not so much someone that wants to run their own business nowadays. Competing in major metro areas is straight out impossible thanks to the multi-state scale of many AMCs.

https://www.asahq.org/For-Members/A...ctivities/Rural-Pass-Through-Legislation.aspx
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/another-one-goes-down.1052649/
It's easy to not care about the bottom line when you're not hundreds of thousands of dollars in debt.
Will have to read up on that, as the anesthesiologists I know are going into private practice.

Also, my comment on PCPs (the ones who don't want a single payer system) were referring to people who actually want to see patients and do a good job in their care for patients and not be business administrators (a.k.a. why most people go to medical school). The PCPs who are for "Medicare for all" are usually people who don't have a full understanding of how medicine would work in that type of system (government rationing, long waits, etc.). Of course, there will always be physicians willing to sacrifice the good of the individual patient to the needs of the collective.
 
It's easy to not care about the bottom line when you're not hundreds of thousands of dollars in debt.

Yes, that's true. Sort of reinforces my point though. In my opinion many physicians who oppose the ACA do so because it has implications to affect their income, ability to practice, and level of respect and prestige.

Not being 6 figures in debt has a way of freeing you from worrying about the personal finance portion of the equation.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Will have to read up on that, as the anesthesiologists I know are going into private practice.

Also, my comment on PCPs (the ones who don't want a single payer system) were referring to people who actually want to see patients and do a good job in their care for patients and not be business administrators (a.k.a. why most people go to medical school). The PCPs who are for "Medicare for all" are usually people who don't have a full understanding of how medicine would work in that type of system (government rationing, long waits, etc.). Of course, there will always be physicians willing to sacrifice the good of the individual patient to the needs of the collective.
Private practice and running a business in which you employ a group of other physicians/midlevels are entirely different things. It's totally possible to be a PP anesthesiologist, but to get your own AMC in which you employ others up and running is very difficult. Most of the physicians I've heard rallying for single payer are academics- it's easy to push for something that is the "greater good" when it doesn't really affect you personally.
 
Private practice and running a business in which you employ a group of other physicians/midlevels are entirely different things. It's totally possible to be a PP anesthesiologist, but to get your own AMC in which you employ others up and running is very difficult. Most of the physicians I've heard rallying for single payer are academics- it's easy to push for something that is the "greater good" when it doesn't really affect you personally.
Yes, usually academic primary care physicians. The same ones who put out papers that medical assistants are an answer to a primary care shortage (even after accounting for physicians, NPs, and PAs): http://archinte.jamanetwork.com/article.aspx?articleID=1868539
 
Yes, usually academic primary care physicians. The same ones who put out papers that medical assistants are an answer to a primary care shortage (even after accounting for physicians, NPs, and PAs): http://archinte.jamanetwork.com/article.aspx?articleID=1868539
ron-swanson-computer.gif
 
Love the GIF! I'm sure the exhausted Family Medicine residents at UCSF must love him. Talk about adding insult to injury.

He obviously doesn't know what actual medical assistants are trained to do. Though he wouldn't be the first ivory-tower academic (and UCSF is definitely one) to put out something so ridiculous.
 
It's easy to not care about the bottom line when you're not hundreds of thousands of dollars in debt.
Specialty choice isn't only influenced by level of debt. It's simplistic to think that not being six figures in debt is somehow the solution.

If that was the case - many medical students whose parents pay the entire bill in cash would be heading towards primary care. It doesn't happen, and not just bc of salary (which has it's own accompanying easier lifestyle). Medical students rotate in primary care practices and see for themselves the problems that are inherent to the system that the PCP can't change.
 
Specialty choice isn't only influenced by level of debt. It's simplistic to think that not being six figures in debt is somehow the solution.

If that was the case - many medical students whose parents pay the entire bill in cash would be heading towards primary care. It doesn't happen, and not just bc of salary (which has it's own accompanying easier lifestyle). Medical students rotate in primary care practices and see for themselves the problems that are inherent to the system that the PCP can't change.
I'm not saying from a student perspective. I'm saying, it's easy for academics who have no debt and have already chosen primary care as a specialty to say, sure, let's have a national health care system that lowers payments across the board and throw midlevels into direct competition with PCPs. They don't have to worry about the competition, or how the hell their bills are going to be paid if their payments drop by 20%. They'll leave that to the next generation to figure out.
 
I'm not saying from a student perspective. I'm saying, it's easy for academics who have no debt and have already chosen primary care as a specialty to say, sure, let's have a national health care system that lowers payments across the board and throw midlevels into direct competition with PCPs. They don't have to worry about the competition, or how the hell their bills are going to be paid if their payments drop by 20%. They'll leave that to the next generation to figure out.
I agree 100%. I was more referring to the non-physician hassles: prior authorizations, insurance hassles, rushing thru patients, coordinator role, etc.
 
PCP was my goal. I wanted to run an office seeing patients and overseeing a few PAs and NPs with some ancillary services on the side, maybe even set up multiple offices and employ other physicians eventually. The market is really wide open in a lot of areas due to the primary care shortage, and there's a lot of money to be made out there. Trouble is, the financial side of things post-Obamacare have made it essentially impossible to start up a small-to-medium sized PP without substantial investment capital due to EMR costs and the like.

I'm a businessman first and a future physician second. Few markets have as much potential to develop multi-office PPs as the primary care market. Derm certainly can, but my chances at derm are slim. Anesthesia is being swallowed up by AMCs, rads is too consolidated, neuro is too unpredictable, psych is doable but less scalable, immuno is a less robust market, ortho is too procedure-based so you generally end up with a ceiling on expansion, etc etc. EM is a possibility if you establish some UC offices. Unfortunately though, startup costs have become too high, so I'm better off just getting into a higher-paying specialty and investing the surplus capital in non-medical business ventures. It's just too unfriendly right now for anyone without a mid-7 figure sum to invest in.

Agree with you, especially the bolded.
 
Specialty choice isn't only influenced by level of debt. It's simplistic to think that not being six figures in debt is somehow the solution.

If that was the case - many medical students whose parents pay the entire bill in cash would be heading towards primary care. It doesn't happen, and not just bc of salary (which has it's own accompanying easier lifestyle). Medical students rotate in primary care practices and see for themselves the problems that are inherent to the system that the PCP can't change.

I bet those douches want to do specialties just because they think they're the **** or whatever because they come from families that are going to pay for all their crap. I honestly feel that things like that (parents paying) are going to have a net financial negative on the student's life over it's duration, because of the money lessons they won't have to learn. What's a great way to ensure that a physician is going to overspend? Number 1 in my book is if they don't have any student debt. Kid thinks he/she is the baddest *ss in the world and they are rich, so they go buy a bunch of expensive crap and get themselves into trouble.

I 100% believe that on average, parents paying for medical school would end up being a negative residual on future wealth of students vs the ones that do not have this happen to them.
 
I bet those douches want to do specialties just because they think they're the **** or whatever because they come from families that are going to pay for all their crap. I honestly feel that things like that (parents paying) are going to have a net financial negative on the student's life over it's duration, because of the money lessons they won't have to learn. What's a great way to ensure that a physician is going to overspend? Number 1 in my book is if they don't have any student debt. Kid thinks he/she is the baddest *ss in the world and they are rich, so they go buy a bunch of expensive crap and get themselves into trouble.

I 100% believe that on average, parents paying for medical school would end up being a negative residual on future wealth of students vs the ones that do not have this happen to them.
Yes, according to studies that have come out with respect to student debt, the ones whose parents paid for their medical education many times end up going for the more lucrative specialties likely bc of the affluent life they're accustomed to.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...t-the-problem/2012/05/30/gJQA2ab41U_blog.html
Why do those with a higher-debt burden go into lower paying medical fields? Debt-free doctors, the thinking goes, come from higher socioeconomic backgrounds and tend to have higher expectations for their eventual salary.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I mean all that stuff means nothing if you're crippled by a) Insane regulations and amounts of paperwork b) poor compensation
It can be excellent if it's what you are into, but at the same time, there's a reason why it's what people go into when they can't do anything else. I don't mean any disrespect by that, as I'm sure there are people that choose to do it because they love it, but you have to recognize that also many people enter it because they are forced to.


Well that's a shame for the patients and colleagues with which that physician will work. Who wants a doc that has gone into an area in which he/she feels is somehow lesser or akin to leftovers? People do best in what they actually like. So, from a pt perspective, I want a PCP that actually likes what he/she does--and makes it their business to be excellent at it.
 
I bet those douches want to do specialties just because they think they're the **** or whatever because they come from families that are going to pay for all their crap. I honestly feel that things like that (parents paying) are going to have a net financial negative on the student's life over it's duration, because of the money lessons they won't have to learn. What's a great way to ensure that a physician is going to overspend? Number 1 in my book is if they don't have any student debt. Kid thinks he/she is the baddest *ss in the world and they are rich, so they go buy a bunch of expensive crap and get themselves into trouble.

I 100% believe that on average, parents paying for medical school would end up being a negative residual on future wealth of students vs the ones that do not have this happen to them.

I disagree. I've seen people that have med school fronted by their parents, and it's obvious in their spending habits. However, there are an equal or greater # of students who, while being fronted by their parents, don't have outrageous spending habits that would show their inability to handle money.

While you may assume that those with ridiculous spending are the only students who are getting their education paid for, I don't believe it's true.
 
I disagree. I've seen people that have med school fronted by their parents, and it's obvious in their spending habits. However, there are an equal or greater # of students who, while being fronted by their parents, don't have outrageous spending habits that would show their inability to handle money.

While you may assume that those with ridiculous spending are the only students who are getting their education paid for, I don't believe it's true.

Not all of them, but I bet more of them exhibit the poor spending than those that manage their money well. I mean if we look at it from the whole body of medical school, already like 3/4 of the people have no idea how to manage money. Then when you factor in the fact that they are more likely to be entitled and never have managed their own money before if their parents are paying for everything, makes me pretty confident in my statement. I'm sure there are people that are getting their stuff paid for, that are very good with money, but I bet they're in a big minority.