Send April GRE scores?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

made4change

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I was wondering if anyone could offer some advice. I'm taking the Psyc GRE in April and I'm not sure if I should send my scores in or not. I obviously won't know what the score is until after I get it back, but should I have them sent anyway since it's free? I'm also applying in October for the 2014 year, so are you allowed to send them early?

Thanks for all your help!

Members don't see this ad.

If i was in your position, with that much time in between, i'd skip the free scores before i found out i did well. If i knew i did well, then i'd gladly pay the $25(?) per score sent out. You'll have 6 months to decide if your scores compare to their average entrance rates and if they don't compare so well you still have the option of bowing out and retaking them again.

I know most schools will say they'll only take your best performances on each respective GRE, but i felt like i read somewhere that some schools will look at all your scores... Personally i just like having the option to start fresh.

From my personal experience, almost none of my free score reports panned out. Between taking the general and psych GRE and to actually applying, my knowledge, specific goals, and especially school choices changed dramatically. Most schools that I thought were my top choices didn't even make it to the application. Maybe this is just my own experience and is unlike others, but a year before apps, I made my choices primarily based on school reputation. Then the summer before apps, I started to look into the actual prof's bios, papers, interests, future directions and other aspects of the programs like match rate, acceptance rate, etc and I narrowed it from 20 schools to 10 and ended up applying to 7. Of those 7 schools, I believe 1 was my original "top choice" but by the time I sent in my apps, I realized their match for me wasn't great.

So in other words, I wouldn't worry too much about it. Similar to above individual, I would take advantage of the free scores if you think you did relatively well. While you can't predict if you got a 95th or 96th percentile, I'm sure you know whether you were in the 50th or 80th percentile. I'm not sure if this is the case, but I believe that when I sent my general scores, my psych scores went with it with no extra charge? I don't know though, you need to check (the whole app process was a blur).

I think what happens is if you send your scores that early, they just have it in a database and then match your name when you send in your applications. Just make sure your first, middle, and last name that appear on the test is exactly as it is on your app.

Also, the whole app process wasn't actually THAT expensive for me. I thought I'd spend at least 5K, but ended up spending significantly less than that. However, that may be a product of applying to "only" 7 schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
my knowledge said:
dramatically[/B]. Most schools that I thought were my top choices didn't even make it to the application.

I agree. My schools changed as well mostly due to POI's not taking students. Even though it cost a bit, it was much easier to confirm receipt of GRE scores by doing it closer to the application due date. There was some trouble and confusion with the one school from my original list. So for piece of mind and less trouble later, I recommend paying later. Also, as mentioned by others, you may not want your first scores sent to schools. Some schools will average two scores. Others will look at just the last scores. However, you'll want to make sure that they have the newest scores on file.

wait. the longer they have your scores, the greater the likelihood of them getting lost!

wait. the longer they have your scores, the greater the likelihood of them getting lost!

At my institution they get input into an electronic file held by the graduate school, then the program just requests them from the grad school when they get the rest of the application in. Even then, the graduate school retains them. I would be surprised if it works differently elsewhere, especially if you live in a state that requires the scores for entry.

At my institution they get input into an electronic file held by the graduate school, then the program just requests them from the grad school when they get the rest of the application in. Even then, the graduate school retains them. I would be surprised if it works differently elsewhere, especially if you live in a state that requires the scores for entry.

sounds like a good system. just speaking from my own experience.

Thanks for all your help! I think I will just wait that way i'll know if its even worth sending them. I'm terrified of sending a score that isn't my best effort. Thank you all so much!

I'm taking the GRE Psych in a couple weeks as well, and I just sent my scores to 4 schools because it was free... I'm not going to re-take the exam and I figured ... might as well get my money's worth! :)