Send secondaries now, or wait two/three weeks?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JDAD

1K Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am trying to determine when I should send my secondaries. (Yes, I know I am late, but I took the august mcat, and nothing can be done with my application until they get the scores)

So, should I send them now, (by the end of Sept), or should I wait until I get my MCAT scores back. Will the two/three weeks make a huge difference? What if I fill them all out, but wait for my scores to hit submit within the hour of getting my score. If I did this, I still think I would be ahead of those who are waiting for their schools.

My problem is that I am applying to a lot of top-end schools because they are the only ones who accept canadian students on an F1 visa. So I need something above 33 and I don't have a clue how I did on the MCAT.

Members don't see this ad.

Rolling admissions favors those who have a complete file. Your application is limited by the speed of the slowest component. You want your MCAT score to be the sloweset component.

Admissions committees are already inundated, they're currently putting files in the queue. There will certainly be a huge group ready to be processed the day the scores come out. You want to be in that group. Anyone who submits after that will be FAR BEHIND.

Submit now and interview in December/January. Wait and interview in late March.

You can still get in if you interview that late, but it's harder. By the new year most schools will still have half their class to fill. In March they may be down to the last dozen slots or so. Competing for those last slots can be harsh.

Hey Jdad, I am in the same boat. I am waiting for my MCAT scores. I already received secondaries from almost all the school I applied to. I took Kaplan course in August and had teacher who got admited to Univ of Colorado. He waited for his scores to come out and only then submited hi AMCAS, not ever secondaries. He got accepted at 3 or 4 schools. AT this point I submited secondaries to schools I am really interested and left rest for later.

JDAD said:
I am trying to determine when I should send my secondaries. (Yes, I know I am late, but I took the august mcat, and nothing can be done with my application until they get the scores)

So, should I send them now, (by the end of Sept), or should I wait until I get my MCAT scores back. Will the two/three weeks make a huge difference? What if I fill them all out, but wait for my scores to hit submit within the hour of getting my score. If I did this, I still think I would be ahead of those who are waiting for their schools.

My problem is that I am applying to a lot of top-end schools because they are the only ones who accept canadian students on an F1 visa. So I need something above 33 and I don't have a clue how I did on the MCAT.