Send USMLE vs. COMLEX transcripts?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mrdowntoearth

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm applying to allopathic IM only and took both USMLE and COMLEX. My question is can I just send the USMLE transcript only since all are allo programs? Or, do I need to send both USMLE and COMLEX transcripts because I'm a DO applicant?

I would assume the PDs will only be interested in looking at USMLE scores if they're available.

Members don't see this ad.

You only have to report your USMLE scores, so you can leave off your COMLEX scores. I guess the question is "why?".

As a DO student, PD's will know that most schools require that you take the COMLEX. If you don;t report it, it makes it look like you did badly.

So:

If you did fine on the COMLEX but are worried about confusing PD's, then simply release your COMLEX and USMLE's.

If you did poorly on your COMLEX and better on your USMLE's, then you can release the USMLE's only although you may be questioned about it.

Good luck!

You only have to report your USMLE scores, so you can leave off your COMLEX scores. I guess the question is "why?".

As a DO student, PD's will know that most schools require that you take the COMLEX. If you don;t report it, it makes it look like you did badly.

So:

If you did fine on the COMLEX but are worried about confusing PD's, then simply release your COMLEX and USMLE's.

If you did poorly on your COMLEX and better on your USMLE's, then you can release the USMLE's only although you may be questioned about it.

Good luck!

What if you did much better on your COMLEX than the USMLE?

My concern is that the COMLEX will be completely ignored, even though that is the exam we were prepared for---not the USMLE.

What if you did much better on your COMLEX than the USMLE?

My concern is that the COMLEX will be completely ignored, even though that is the exam we were prepared for---not the USMLE.

As a DO applying to ACGME programs, you have to release your USMLE scores. PD's will likely look at both, and will weigh both in their decision. Some PD's may ignore your COMLEX scores, but there is nothing you can do about that -- allopathic PD's are more comfortable with USMLE scores.