Sending Christmas cards/e-cards to professors etc.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Shredder

User
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
The thought just occurred to me to send out Christmas e-cards to professors, advisors, lab supervisors, and anyone else who may play a part in my admissions or success in general.

How do you think this would be viewed? Positively, an annoyance, kissing up? Does it cross the line between personal and professional life? Would anyone consider doing it, or already does it and I've just been too oblivious so far to think of it as a tactic/sincere gesture of appreciation and good will (a bit of both). If you do this, do you feel it has been effective?

Members don't see this ad.

Shredder said:
The thought just occurred to me to send out Christmas e-cards to professors, advisors, lab supervisors, and anyone else who may play a part in my admissions or success in general.

How do you think this would be viewed? Positively, an annoyance, kissing up? Does it cross the line between personal and professional life? Would anyone consider doing it, or already does it and I've just been too oblivious so far to think of it as a tactic/sincere gesture of appreciation and good will (a bit of both). If you do this, do you feel it has been effective?

I don't know if it would help, but I don't see anything wrong with sending them. Don't over do it though, it may look strange. Maybe send it to people that you really know.

if you send cards, DO NOT SEND AN E-CARD!!!! a hand-written card is much more personal and appreciated than another e-mail cluttering a busy inbox.

just my .02

Members don't see this ad :)
It's always nice to hear from people who think enough of you to take a second of their day to send you the best over Christmas. I'm sure it's doubly rewarding for professors. Go ahead and send a card, but make it a personal card (not an e-card, as someone mentioned).

freaker said:
It's always nice to hear from people who think enough of you to take a second of their day to send you the best over Christmas. I'm sure it's doubly rewarding for professors. Go ahead and send a card, but make it a personal card (not an e-card, as someone mentioned).
The problem is that finding home addresses can be difficult and a little stalker-like. E-mail addresses are much more readily available, and a real card would still clutter their inbox, no? Plus, it can't be forgotten that a real thing would cost more, and the idea is really to just show that you thought of them and not to spend lots of cash.

Shredder said:
The problem is that finding home addresses can be difficult and a little stalker-like. E-mail addresses are much more readily available, and a real card would still clutter their inbox, no? Plus, it can't be forgotten that a real thing would cost more, and the idea is really to just show that you thought of them and not to spend lots of cash.

You should send it to their work address, not their home address.

E-cards are totally inappropriate. If you're that concerned with 'spending lots of cash' on greeting cards, then you should just not send them at all. Greeting cards are not expensive anyway, but if you don't have the money, then don't send anything. E-cards are tacky and inappropriate for a professional relationship.

I would be careful about sending "Christmas" cards, and would play it safe by sending a "Happy Holidays" card instead.

stinkycheese said:
You should send it to their work address, not their home address.

for sure!

Good tips guys, thanks. I'm glad to see there's no mention of trolling as well, and that this thread hasn't been closed (yet).

My 2 cents...

I would only send a "Happy Holidays!" card to a person I've actually conversed with a couple of times (ie. they know my name etc.). I would also limit such cards to those persons I've discussed stuff outside of cursework (freudian slip, sorry). Getting a card from the "guy" who always asks questions and sits in the front of the class but hasn't bothered to make a statement other than "what's on the exam?" seems highly innappropriate.

All in all, it is a great gesture. So with that...

Happy Holidays!

TweetyPie said:
Yep, I'd watch the use of "Christmas cards". Also, I wouldn't use "Happy Holidays" either, since Holidays comes from "Holy" days.

Oh yeah, try not to send something with a candy cane on it. I've heard that it represents the crooks of the shepherds in the Christmas story.

Oh, and I'd think twice about using the Christmas tree as it is said this started with "Saint" Boniface in Germany. I would also limit your use of Santa Claus as many believe it originated with "Saint" Nicholas.

And, you better hope that not any of your professors religion is Christian....it might be better if you ask them each what their preference is before sending them....

Oh, BTW, If I were you, when writing, I'd replace the "Christ" in Christmas and replace it with "X". Unless of course you buy into the story that the "X" represents Christ ("Christos") in the greek....well, whatever you do I'm sure it will be okay.

What an ass! Altough your Christian ideals are apparent from your signature; most of us do not have to put our Christian ideals on a bumper sticker. I think the "Happy Holidays" sentiment represents sensitivity and respect to those that chose to celebrate other religions. Please be sure to pull your bottom lip over your head and swallow. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
TweetyPie said:
As it is not my intent to indulge people like yourself on a public forum (and this will be my only reply to you) the sarcastic point made was to reveal the utter absurdity of trying to erase an entire tradition that is the fabric of America.

"Sensitivity" and "respect" goes both ways. By calling me an "ass", and by the snide comment "most of us do not have to put our Christian ideals on a bumper sticker", in what way were you being sensitive and respectful. Oh irony, that's where you became the "ass", as you put it. *buzzer sounds* You're discredited--conflict of interest.

The "Happy Holidays" sentiment does not represent sensitivity and respect rather it represents an attempt to include any and all types of celebration at the exclusion of this great, centuries old American tradition. You are a liar through and through, and that's where you are not only an ass but a bigot, a Christophobe, and a modern day dupe.

You will not come into my back yard and steal something that has been the source of fond memories for millions of Americans. Sorry.

And I thought that statements like "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion..." and "Life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness!" were the fabric of America. Sorry, I was mistaken.

I thought that America was the land of freedom and promise; a land where those who were persecuted for their religious beliefs were free to practice as they please. I thought it was the land you would not be discriminated against when applying for a job given your religion... perhaps a professorship.

Oh wait. It is a country founded on those premises. My point is that I doubt a person who celebrates HanukKah or Kwanza or an aetheist (who may still celebrate the new year) would truly enjoy a Merry Christmas card over a Happy Holidays card.

I would give a Christmas card to a professor with whom I discussed their Christmas plans. I am a Christian. I do not need to remind myself of my beliefs and devotion by posting something that has obvious underpinnings nor by having such a signature. I embrace religion; I don't force it. And don't worry about your backyard; I'll go to the yard WITHOUT the fences - yours are too high!

If I was a professor I would think that you were a huge premed loser for sending me a card.

MEG@COOL said:
If I was a professor I would think that you were a huge premed loser for sending me a card.
And that is probably because you are a bitter, cynical person, as is apparent by your signature.

As for the Christmas debate, I side with the religious fellow.

on a more neutral note, this post has provided continuous amusement throughout my multitude of study breaks in a long ass day of cramming for an anatomy final. so i thank you, both christians and non-christians, bigots and non-bigots, asses and non-asses.

p.s. happy holidays :D

TweetyPie said:
The "Happy Holidays" sentiment does not represent sensitivity and respect rather it represents an attempt to include any and all types of celebration at the exclusion of this great, centuries old American tradition. You are a liar through and through, and that's where you are not only an ass but a bigot, a Christophobe, and a modern day dupe.

You will not come into my back yard and steal something that has been the source of fond memories for millions of Americans. Sorry.

I'm sorry, but Thanksgiving in an American holiday, Christmas is a Christian holiday. If I were a professor and a student sent me a Christmas card I would think the student was uneducated to believe that everybody celebrates Christmas. As a matter of fact, as a religious Jew, it wouldn't offend me but it would certainly irk me. If you, the student, know that I am Jewish and choose to send me a neutral or even Jewish-themed card, I would be quite pleased and think highly of you (even better if you send me this card on an important Jewish holiday not in December). If you have a professor you know is Christian, by all means send him/her a Christmas card. Just don't jump to conclusions. Those of us in America who are not Christians only dislike this season because everybody assumes we want to participate. If it weren't for that, it might be nice -- pretty lights and decorations, nice music, etc.

lilmo said:
on a more neutral note, this post has provided continuous amusement throughout my multitude of study breaks in a long ass day of cramming for an anatomy final. so i thank you, both christians and non-christians, bigots and non-bigots, asses and non-asses.

p.s. happy holidays :D

lol :laugh:

Shredder said:

it would be viewed a spam
i hate ecards
they are glorified spam
do anything but spam
i have no more comments
just NO ecards
SPAM!

chicagomel said:
I would be careful about sending "Christmas" cards, and would play it safe by sending a "Happy Holidays" card instead.

The hell with that, go ahead and send Merry Christmas card. I'm sick of all these liberals trying to do away with the word Christmas :thumbdown:

Blackstars said:
The hell with that, go ahead and send Merry Christmas card. I'm sick of all these liberals trying to do away with the word Christmas :thumbdown:

are you serious or sarcastic?

Blackstars said:
Is it possible that a conservative viewpoint coming from a young person could actually not be sarcastic? By the way, America is a Christian country.

cytoskelement said:
What an ass! Altough your Christian ideals are apparent from your signature; most of us do not have to put our Christian ideals on a bumper sticker. I think the "Happy Holidays" sentiment represents sensitivity and respect to those that chose to celebrate other religions. Please be sure to pull your bottom lip over your head and swallow. Thanks.

Agreed. We're just trying to remind the OP to be mindful of the religious proclivities of the intended recipients. We don't need a crash course in religious symbology. :rolleyes:

DON'T send an e-card, that is totally tacky. I would send cards to professors who wrote you recommendations, or took time out of their lives (beyond being a professor) to help you out. It's nice to acknowledge gratitude when people do things for you, that is not sucking up. Just send a little note saying "happy holidays" and thanks...it's really not that big of a deal. :)

Shredder said:
Is it possible that a conservative viewpoint coming from a young person could actually not be sarcastic? By the way, America is a Christian country.

Although the United States is about 82% christian and 18% non-christian (According to the 2002 Census, with numbers dropping since 1980... see link, No. 80 [ http://www.census.gov/prod/2004pubs/03statab/pop.pdf ]), once again I must remind some of the concept of the division of church and state and the first amendment.

I respect that many young people today are conservative. Obviously, Shredder, you are. But, I must say this thread demonstrates something interesting. The "liberals" on this thread are the ones trying to intially help you with insight and without sarcasm or strong words, until provoked by the the "conservative" population inherent to this thread (This is not a generalization regarding conservatives). So go ahead and send your Christmas Card.

Just a point...

Pathology, MD/MBA...
GOP

Heh, heh; reworded.

Increasing profits from death.
GOP

Interesting signature. Signing off. Darn glad to have helped you.