Sending GRE scores

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

purpleflower432

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a question about sending GRE scores. With the score select option, you can choose which scores to send to each school. I took the GRE in June and retook it in July, my score only went up 1 point for verbal and .5 for writing, the rest stayed the same. Both scores are high (329/330 combined), any reason to send both/only send one? I’m wondering if schools will see I withheld a score and assume it’s poor, or if they’ll see I took it twice and showed little improvement. Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

I've always been under the impression that you send both as an integrity thing. Some score superscore, others average, and others take the test with the overall highest score. While for the schools that take the overall highest or superscore it doesn't really matter. But for those that average your scores, it actually would make a difference. Granted, since your scores didn't change much, it would make a difference. But for people with drastically different scores between two different tests, it would actually matter.

You're best bet would be to ask schools directly (because I might just be weird about this and they actually don't care all that much)

Reactions: 1 user
Send both. A small difference could bump you ahead of someone else when they are selecting their early acceptances.
They are not concerned that you only improved to a certain degree. If you got a vastly lower score then there would be no reason to send it in considering they don't know you took it a second time if you never send the score.