sending kids to private school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

APACHE3

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
ok, I'm going IM for Match 2006. I have family, so city and schools are high priority. Does anyone have experience using financial aid to send kids to pre-school or elementary school? I mean federal aid money. Thanks :)

Members don't see this ad.

save you money, send them too public school.

APACHE3 said:
ok, I'm going IM for Match 2006. I have family, so city and schools are high priority. Does anyone have experience using financial aid to send kids to pre-school or elementary school? I mean federal aid money. Thanks :)
Private or Catholic?

I don't think there's much (if any) federal financial aid at private schools. I know my parents took out some private loans for my sister's high school education. My cousin (who had financial need) ended up with a full scholarship (for her entire career, K-12) at a good school in the South. I think I mentioned this before, but you should get in touch with the admissions office and explain your situation - that you are a doctor, but still currently in training, that your children's educations are important and that you expect in a couple of years to be able to pay full price but for now you can't afford it. This will flag you/your kids as a "development interest" for the future and will encourage admissions/financial aid to work with you now in hopes of some generosity down the line. Obviously you would have to follow through with that generosity when you are established in your career - but it would be better than loans because it would be interest free.

I know this sounds a little strange, but as someone who is a product of private education, has worked in a private high school and as well as spent time in college admissions, there is validity to what I'm saying. Good luck!!

I appreciate the quick feedback. I thought the Bush administration allowed education vouchers to be applied public or privately to help fund children's education inlcuding the preschool years. I've tried to find info on this but to no avail. Maybe I'm not looking hard enough, but appreciate the replies. I did an away rotation, and when I was in the ER one night with my resident, I overheard someone talking about using financial aid to send his kid to private school. he was a PGY-3 and only banked about $42,000. he said he got $2-3000 in financial aid with vouchers, but we were so busy, I really couldn't follow-up with him and didn't write anything down!!! oh well.. :D