Sending Multiple Letters of Intent

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jisbaseball14

PGY1, Psychiatry Resident
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I currently hold multiple waitlist spots (and 0 acceptances) at several MD schools, including Temple and Drexel, which are top choices of mine. I'd be content going to either, but had a slight preference toward Temple post-interview. As a result, I sent a letter of intent to Temple in early May. However, as June has rolled around, I've noticed that Drexel's waitlist has started moving, and Temple's has not. I'm worried that not sending a letter of intent to Drexel will hurt my chances of getting off the waitlist at this point, but I also don't want to send multiple letters of intent to different schools, in the fear that they will talk to each other and eliminate me from the running altogether. I've sent one letter of INTEREST to Drexel as well (but not INTENT), and am debating just sending another and abstaining from using the phrasing "I will intend if accepted" etc.

Maybe I am overthinking this, it has been a long process..what do you guys think?? Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you!!

Members don't see this ad.

Letters of Intent aren't taken seriously by schools, since it's not a binding agreement and there are people out there who send these out to multiple schools, in an attempt to boost their chances of fishing an acceptance.

Letters of Interest are received differently, depending on the school, ranging from "hurts your chances" to "no effect" to "necessary to get off the waitlist". Be sure to check if Temple is receptive to these sort of Letters of Interest.

Reactions: 1 users
So I currently hold multiple waitlist spots (and 0 acceptances) at several MD schools, including Temple and Drexel, which are top choices of mine. I'd be content going to either, but had a slight preference toward Temple post-interview. As a result, I sent a letter of intent to Temple in early May. However, as June has rolled around, I've noticed that Drexel's waitlist has started moving, and Temple's has not. I'm worried that not sending a letter of intent to Drexel will hurt my chances of getting off the waitlist at this point, but I also don't want to send multiple letters of intent to different schools, in the fear that they will talk to each other and eliminate me from the running altogether. I've sent one letter of INTEREST to Drexel as well (but not INTENT), and am debating just sending another and abstaining from using the phrasing "I will intend if accepted" etc.

Maybe I am overthinking this, it has been a long process..what do you guys think?? Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you!!

It can't hurt, but just think about it from the adcom perspective. They can see that you don't have any acceptances. Of course you would go to their school if accepted, since it would be your only option.

Try to make your interest letter a letter of update as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am sorry you are in a tough position (I've been there, 4 WLs and no acceptances and just barely squeaked into my top choice)

Anyway, I sent interest letters to all the schools. BUT, an INTENT letter only to my top choice. I understand that many people on here say that there letters are ignored, but I guess I take my word seriously. I will not write to multiple schools saying each is my 'top choice'.

By the way, do you happen to have any mentors/PIs (physicians you worked with) that you are close with? Some people have had them call on your behalf... Yes, those types of things have little bearing, but my thinking is that it may get your to stand out a little more which is better than nothing when were talking WLs.

Wish you the best. A girl from my lab got into Temple two years ago and really likes it.

Edit: you can incorporate an 'update' into a letter of interest/intent which is a nice and sneaky way of making the letter not too sappy.

It can't hurt, but just think about it from the adcom perspective. They can see that you don't have any acceptances. Of course you would go to their school if accepted, since it would be your only option.

Try to make your interest letter a letter of update as well.

Woaw schools can see where you get accepted to?