Sending scores to schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Svart Aske

Dental Padawan
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Would it be better to designate all the schools to which you want to send the DAT scores before taking the test or would it be better to compile the list of schools after knowing your score? The latter option seems to be more prudent to me, but I'd like to know if there are advantages to the former. I plan on taking the test before application opens.

Members don't see this ad.

With the test fee you are allowed to send 5 pre-designate schools your scores free of charge. If you wait until after the test you must pay $25 per school to send out your scores. If you decide to retake the test the schools receive all previous scores anyway so you might as well pre-designate and get your moneys worth.

With the test fee you are allowed to send 5 pre-designate schools your scores free of charge. If you wait until after the test you must pay $25 per school to send out your scores. If you decide to retake the test the schools receive all previous scores anyway so you might as well pre-designate and get your moneys worth.

But you'll have to pay $25 per school ('cept the 5 free ones) regardless of before or after you took the test anyway, correct? That is, there's no difference between pre-designating 10 schools (including the 5 free schools) and the option of picking out an additional 5 after the test is done. Doing the latter makes more sense because you can better choose schools with your test scores in mind.

Members don't see this ad :)
correct ... only the first 5 are free, after those you are required to pay. It might be a nice way to save $125. I dont see the advantage of waiting until after and i would recommend taking advantage of the 5 free submissions. This can be a very expensive process. I do agree that waiting until after you know your score may help you choose schools that meet your numbers.

correct ... only the first 5 are free, after those you are required to pay. It might be a nice way to save $125. I dont see the advantage of waiting until after and i would recommend taking advantage of the 5 free submissions. This can be a very expensive process. I do agree that waiting until after you know your score may help you choose schools that meet your numbers.

Gotcha. I didn't mean that I will forgo sending scores to 5 schools for free, just that it's better to choose the non-free schools after knowing your score.

If you wait until later on, is it still 25$/school or is the price different than if you put the schools down before taking the test? I'm not talking about the 5 free schools.

After the 5 free schools, the price per school does not depend on if you designate them before or after taking the test. So save yourself some money and add schools after you take the test. Also, be very logical in choosing your 1st five so that they are not a waste. I wish I had known to do this when I applied. You cannot change the designations once they have been made.