Sending Secondaries before being invited ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

albaniandoc

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have already completed the secondaries for five DO programs.
LECOM-B
LECOM-Erie
TOURO-NV
TOURO-MI
UMDNJ
I downloaded their application on their website.
My AACOMAS application was just mailed to schools this Saturday 07/22.
I was wondering if the schools would have a problem if I send the secondaries right away.
Does anyone know?

Members don't see this ad.

onmywayRN said:
LECOM-B
LECOM-Erie
TOURO-NV
TOURO-MI
UMDNJ
I was wondering if the schools would have a problem if I send the secondaries right away. Does anyone know?

I don't know if they would have a problem or not but it is suggested that you wait for them to invite you to fill theirs out. You can have it done ahead of time and send them out once you get the invite. :luck:

Here's the risk: the admissions office gets a secondary for you and they don't have a file made for you yet. Maybe they hold onto it pending making a file for you, or maybe they throw it away. If you just sent in your primary application, I say just wait a week for two until you get the request for the secondary.

Members don't see this ad :)
onmywayRN said:
LECOM-B
LECOM-Erie
TOURO-NV
TOURO-MI
UMDNJ
I was wondering if the schools would have a problem if I send the secondaries right away.
Does anyone know?

Get them ready to mail but hold onto them until you are invited. You never know, you may not be asked. I had good numbers when I applied and was denied pre-secondary at a couple of places. It isn't all numbers.

Makes sense. I guess I'll wait and get invited first. I have them all ready. The only thing left to do is drop them in the mailbox.
Thanks for the input.

onmywayRN said:
LECOM-B
LECOM-Erie
TOURO-NV
TOURO-MI
UMDNJ
Does anyone know?

Send in secondaries immediately. There is ABSOLUTELY no reason to wait.

Most schools won't "invite" you and you may never hear from them again if you don't send the secondaries.

I think you should contact the schools to make sure it's OK. Some of the schools screen and will say not to send the secondary unless you are invited. This is what it says on Touro's website:

"DO NOT SUBMIT A SUPPLEMENTAL APPLICATION UNLESS YOU ARE INVITED TO DO SO. Supplemental applications received prior to notification of eligibility will be returned unprocessed."

well, if you do send em, and they dont want to take you, will they not cash your check?

something tells me, they will take your money and then reject you if you send them secondaries without them asking for it...

but yes, its an interesting question.

onmywayRN said:
...I was wondering if the schools would have a problem if I send the secondaries right away... Does anyone know?

LECOM-B actually requires everyone to send in a secondary before they will take a look at you seriously. They will, however, snail mail you one after your primary is received and the new class is well under way. Believe it or not, they aren't even looking at applications yet. With orientation for 2010 beginning on Monday, they have their hands full right now. They still anticipate a few people dropping right up until orientation day, so they are looking at making sure all of this year's seats are full. In fact, interviews won't even begin until October.

No, it won't hurt you to mail it in now, but don't expect an immediate response. This is a looooooong process. You might feel as if you've been at it forever, but there's still a long way to go. You are still in the very early stages of the interview cycle.

LECOMS' website says that u can download one off their site or you can wait till the send the mail copy to you. I believe it is still the 2006 one, but if you change the date I is fine according to others on here who have called and asked LECOM.

I hear that the UMDNJ-SOM supplemental can be sent out ASAP, too.

Packamylase said:
I hear that the UMDNJ-SOM supplemental can be sent out ASAP, too.

thats true--I confirmed this with the admissions office before i sent mine.

Members don't see this ad :)
CuttinEmUp said:
thats true--I confirmed this with the admissions office before i sent mine.

CuttinEmUp is my source.

Also, to the Bucknut, October is too long of a wait for me!

Packamylase said:
CuttinEmUp is my source.

Also, to the Bucknut, October is too long of a wait for me!

Its to long for most people. I just want to make the point to 1) not be overanxious and 2) submit it early, but its not like you have to be the first person to do so.

This cycle goes until this time, one year from now. Marathon, not a sprint.

bigfatk said:
I think you should contact the schools to make sure it's OK. Some of the schools screen and will say not to send the secondary unless you are invited. This is what it says on Touro's website:

"DO NOT SUBMIT A SUPPLEMENTAL APPLICATION UNLESS YOU ARE INVITED TO DO SO. Supplemental applications received prior to notification of eligibility will be returned unprocessed."

This isn't common. I sent in all of my supplementals immediately (if available), and had none returned. I applied to 19 schools.

Buckeye(OH) said:
Send them in October. You will be fine.

Are you kidding? Many people have already interviewed at this point. There is no reason to hold them this long.

Update:
Called LECOM-B and LECOM-E. They said that sending in the secondary before being invited is ok. It will not cause any problems.
Called UMDNJ-SOM they said the same thing. Go ahead and send in the secondary.

onmywayRN said:
Update:
Called LECOM-B and LECOM-E. They said that sending in the secondary before being invited is ok. It will not cause any problems.
Called UMDNJ-SOM they said the same thing. Go ahead and send in the secondary.

damn, now I have no excuse not to work on secondaries :thumbdown:

OSUdoc08 said:
Are you kidding? Many people have already interviewed at this point. There is no reason to hold them this long.

Interviewed for the entering class of 07? I highly doubt many people have interviewed.

Buckeye(OH) said:
Interviewed for the entering class of 07? I highly doubt many people have interviewed.

I was already accepted to 2 schools, and had 2 interviews scheduled by the time October rolled around. To wait to send paperwork in then for absolutely no reason is idiotic.

OSUdoc08 said:
I was already accepted to 2 schools, and had 2 interviews scheduled by the time October rolled around. To wait to send paperwork in then for absolutely no reason is idiotic.

Be that as it may, people havent interviewed for the class of 2011.

I interviewed on the first day for multiple schools. They were in October.

Buckeye(OH) said:
Be that as it may, people havent interviewed for the class of 2011.

I interviewed on the first day for multiple schools. They were in October.

I'm completely confused by your post.

I was referring to sending in documents in October. If you did this, you wouldn't be interviewing until AT LEAST November.

I send two secondaries in, the last week of September. OUCOM called and scheduled an interview less than a week after I sent it in.

At any rate, this disagreement isnt going to go anywhere. My original point being, you don't need to be excessively anxious to send your secondaries in...eg before being invited.

DRKUBA said:
damn, now I have no excuse not to work on secondaries :thumbdown:

That's what I am talking about! I can't even have a few weeks off while I wait for the secondaries to get sent! Now I need to start working on them now!

Buckeye(OH) said:
I send two secondaries in, the last week of September. OUCOM called and scheduled an interview less than a week after I sent it in.

At any rate, this disagreement isnt going to go anywhere. My original point being, you don't need to be excessively anxious to send your secondaries in...eg before being invited.

To the ongoing discussion about sending the secondaries in October: I really don't think it will kill anybody to wait till then to send it in. As long as there is still time to get interviews I don't see the big deal. People on this website get so anxious and so I completely understand why the comment was made and I think it was meant to be helpful.

So Buckeye, I wanted to thankyou for trying to not freak everyone out about not having their secondaries stamped and in the mail yet.

That being said, I will still try to get my secondaries out ASAP, however that probably wont be until the end of August/early September (retaking the MCAT in August so I will be a bit occupied).

Soccer885 said:
To the ongoing discussion about sending the secondaries in October: I really don't think it will kill anybody to wait till then to send it in. As long as there is still time to get interviews I don't see the big deal. People on this website get so anxious and so I completely understand why the comment was made and I think it was meant to be helpful.

So Buckeye, I wanted to thankyou for trying to not freak everyone out about not having their secondaries stamped and in the mail yet.

That being said, I will still try to get my secondaries out ASAP, however that probably wont be until the end of August/early September (retaking the MCAT in August so I will be a bit occupied).

Im glad it helped. In my experience, you don't need to be the first one out the door.

early bird gets the worm, but the late worm gets to live :smuggrin: