sending secondaries without MCAT scores?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jaybird

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Should I send in secondaries if I have not taken my MCAT yet?

Members don't see this ad.

wont they just put it aside until they get the scores. or will they process ur info and "save a spot" untill they get ur scores?

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think they save your spot in line. But at least sending them now will mean you will be complete as soon as they get your MCAT score. That way, you don't have to worry about the processing time/wait for your secondary.

yes send everything in. You never know if something else is going to get caught up along the way. Send your secondaries and your LORs ASAP. This avoids the delay later if something gets lost or delayed and gives you a chance to clear them up in advance.

I'm in a similar situation. Took the MCAT 07/18, feel pretty solid about my PS and BS, but think the verbal might have been a disaster.

Registered (just in case) for the 09/03 administration.

Question is, do I send in my secondaries now? Because it seems that if I do, schools will review my application when they get the July MCAT score on about 08/18, and may decide to reject me shortly after.

Say I did relatively poorly on the 07/18 MCAT and decide to retake on 09/03. Will my application get a second look after the new scores come in?

BTW, my GPA is my biggest weakness, but I have tons of great research experience (1 publication) and lots of clinical stuff too. I've heard that applying early is key when you have a low GPA, so I'm not sure what to do here.

I had submitted my primary before I even took the test. I had submitted 13 secondaries before I got my score. It's a gamble, but worth it if you ask me. I risked going a whole year knowing I stood no chance to get in because there was no way I could have prepared again to where I would have felt comfortable.

I'm in a similar situation. Took the MCAT 07/18, feel pretty solid about my PS and BS, but think the verbal might have been a disaster.

Registered (just in case) for the 09/03 administration.

Question is, do I send in my secondaries now? Because it seems that if I do, schools will review my application when they get the July MCAT score on about 08/18, and may decide to reject me shortly after.

Say I did relatively poorly on the 07/18 MCAT and decide to retake on 09/03. Will my application get a second look after the new scores come in?

BTW, my GPA is my biggest weakness, but I have tons of great research experience (1 publication) and lots of clinical stuff too. I've heard that applying early is key when you have a low GPA, so I'm not sure what to do here.

I was advised to go ahead and ship the secondaries, too. Someone from Michigan told me they will look at your first score and still evaluate your application while waiting for the second score.

Good luck.

Thanks everyone. I actually called Penn State today and they said my app will get only one review, so I should make it with an MCAT score I feel comfortable with. Feels like too big of a gamble (literally after what this app cycle's going to cost) to jeopardize the whole cycle just because my MCAT didn't go as well as I thought.

It seems like the policy does vary from school to school...so maybe calling all 29 schools isn't a bad idea...