SENDING THE Letters of Recommendations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

berdugo75

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do the ERAS people allow for letters of recommendations to be sent all together in a package, rather than from each individual letter writer? Do they even care how it gets there?

Members don't see this ad.

Do the ERAS people allow for letters of recommendations to be sent all together in a package, rather than from each individual letter writer? Do they even care how it gets there?

As long as you attach a document submission form with the pertinent information about the LORS you are sending and each letter have their LOR cover sheet clipped, it is okay. Send them together.

Each letter writer should be sending the letter to ERAS directly, in most situations. Usually you would give a cover sheet and a stamped envelope (One with a tracking number if you're being smart) to each letter writer.

Each letter writer should be sending the letter to ERAS directly, in most situations. Usually you would give a cover sheet and a stamped envelope (One with a tracking number if you're being smart) to each letter writer.

Do IMGs have them sent directly to ECFMG, and ECFMG sends them to ERAS?

Do as the ERAS cover sheet for ERAS IMGs says: send to ECFMG - ERAS Documents.

The ERAS has a cover sheet for AMG and IMG applicants, be sure you download the correct sheet. The instructions for submission of the LORs are on these cover sheets.

Really? That's not how they do things at my school. We were told to give the cover sheets to the letter writers, have the letter writers send the letters with cover sheets to the registrar, and then the registrar's office uploads them directly into ERAS. I kind of assumed all schools did it that way--having each individual letter writer physically mail an actual paper letter to ERAS seems so 20th century. :p

Really? That's not how they do things at my school. We were told to give the cover sheets to the letter writers, have the letter writers send the letters with cover sheets to the registrar, and then the registrar's office uploads them directly into ERAS. I kind of assumed all schools did it that way--having each individual letter writer physically mail an actual paper letter to ERAS seems so 20th century. :p
Totally my bad. You are correct, the letters go to your dean's office. My point is that the letters should usually not come to the applicant to package together -- although I'm certain this sometimes happens.

So IMGs send everything (besides MSPE and Med school transripts) to the ECFMG, right?

We send everything to the ECFMG with an OASIS-created DSF. They're our designated deans office, and handle everything as far as I'm aware.

We send everything to the ECFMG with an OASIS-created DSF. They're our designated deans office, and handle everything as far as I'm aware.

Right, but it's our schools who send ECFMG the MSPE's and Transcripts, right? (I know the answer, but NEVERRRRRR hurts to double-check).

Oh jeez. Not only did I not give an envelope w/ a tracking #, I forgot to mention for them to put my AAMC ID# on the letter itself. Hopefully all the LORs reach ECFMG-ERAS intact.

Right, but it's our schools who send ECFMG the MSPE's and Transcripts, right? (I know the answer, but NEVERRRRRR hurts to double-check).

I sent them my Transcript myself and will be getting my school to send the MSPE. Other than for LoRs that you've waived the right to see, I don't think they're as hardcore as they were for the Form 186 etc