Senior Dog Dilemma

Started by slikchik
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

slikchik

New Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I adopted a cocker spaniel mix about 6yrs ago from an animal shelter. I don't know much about her history because she was found roaming the streets, however it was guessed at the time of adoption she was between 7-10 years old. Now that she is 13-16 yrs old she has definitely started to go down hill physically and mentally and I don't know how one knows when to draw the line and put a dog to sleep.

My dog is now completely deaf and blind, and has been diagnosed with dog dimentia. This makes it really tough because she can not navigate her way around the house very well and frequently walks into walls or finds her self trapped under things. She has no interest in playing at all and walking down the stairs to go outside is a huge struggle for her. She also has developed a habit of just wanting to drink water all the time. Controlling her water in take now, she has resorted to sleeping on top of her water bowl waiting for a refill. The last major issue she has is smelling terrible due to skin issues. For this I have to bathe her weekly with RX shampoo.

So I'm struggling because clearly she doesn't have a "happy dogs life" but would I be putting her down for my own convenience?? Help shed some light on this!
 
I feel really sad about your post. Making that decision is one of the hardest things you may ever face, in my opinion. I had a chocolate lab and my family made the decision to put her down when she went blind after struggling with cancer for about 9 months. It was an incredibly hard decision, but we all knew that she was suffering and that her quality of life had dramatically decreased. My mom said that it was the first time she had ever seen my dad cry and they have been married 40 years!

Anyway, I just wanted to offer my support because I know that you are in a very tough spot. 🙁
 
Think about your dog's favorite things to do. Can she play with toys anymore? Does she still like chewing bones? Does she seem content when she's with you? I have an old German Shepherd mix who has severe arthritis/degenerative joint disease, neurological issues with his legs, heart enlargement, and an inability to know when he has to go poop, so he poops in the house almost every day because he doesn't realize he needs to go anymore. He can't walk for long periods of time anymore -- sometimes around the block tires him out now -- and often needs help up the stairs or he'll stumble and fall. He's hypothyroid and has crappy skin and frequent bacterial/yeast infections that make his hair fall out. Yet, when we pull his leash out of the drawer, he dances around in a circle and wags his tail and trots on the leash with a happy spring in his step and a smile on his face. And he loves being near my mom and since she works from home he can be with her every day. While his quality of life has definitely declined he is still, I feel, ultimately happy, and still has things to look forward to. We have all decided as a family if the day comes that he no longer wants or is able to go out on his walks, that it will be his time.

If you feel that day has come for your own dog -- that she has nothing more to look forward to, and that nothing is bringing her happiness, then it may be her time as well. The increased water drinking could be a sign of a new health issue as well. You're the one who has to make the choice -- you know your own dog best and you know whether or not she's really happy anymore.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
One thing that I would consider, is that quality of life isn't all about pain. Yes, sometimes animals are euthanized to end their pain, but I don't think it would be a convenience thing to end a life that isn't enjoyable. If she were perfectly healthy and happy, but incontinent, that would be one thing. However, I think one thing you can ask yourself is "does she enjoy waking up each day?"

Sorry you have to go through this, its always so hard.
 
I know exactly what you are going through too, and I agree with what everyone so far has said. My best advice would be to talk this over with your vet, someone who knows your animal's history and can see the symptoms that she displays. Of course it is ultimately your choice, a very hard one at that, but a vet that you trust may be able to help guide you to the correct decision. Whatever you decide, realize that you have probably given your pet the best life possible, and remind yourself that the worst part about being a pet owner is knowing that you are going to outlive your beloved pet.
 
She also has developed a habit of just wanting to drink water all the time. Controlling her water in take now, she has resorted to sleeping on top of her water bowl waiting for a refill.


This is a huge red flag medically. Take you dog to your vet and tell him/her about this. 🙁