Senior in college with absolutely no extracurricular experience

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doctorastro

Reaction score
So due to mental health issues I had throughout college, I was never able to get any type of extra curricular experience. I have no internships, research, volunteer hours, and I've also never had any type of job. I'm going to be graduating with a degree in public health in fall 2020. I'm starting to get better and want to finally get experience after I graduate. How do you think I should start and what types of things should I do. I obviously would need to take some gap years, how many do you guys think would be enough to have a good amount of extracurricular experience. Also with the pandemic, I guess some things will now be delayed so I'm not really sure when I will be able to do them. I'm been thinking about this website called Crisis Text Line, which is a remote volunteer opportunity to get 200 hours of experience in a year, I guess this would be my best choice for starting out i'm not sure.

Members don't see this ad.

I've asked about the remote volunteering in another thread (Pre-MD) yet to get a response.

What I've seen as the common answer is: 150 hours of clinical volunteer; 150 hours non-clinical volunteer (to underserved preferably); 50 hours shadowing (do some primary care)

Get some research as most applicants would have some. You can probably scribe as well since you don't need any certification for it and it can make for a good experience. I plan to do some of this during senior year and throughout my gap year (or two)

Reactions: 1 user
The number of hours you can get will vary widely depending on the kind of experience, but I'd ditto the user above on looking for a scribe gig. YMMV of course, but I can't tell you how valuable ER scribing has been for me. If you have the time, I'd suggest looking into experiences that will both get you hours AND that you're genuinely excited about. You don't always know off the bat which experiences will turn out to be meaningful, but genuine interest and excitement will come through in essays and interviews!

If you're looking to scribe, the application/onboarding/COVID delay will take awhile so I'd apply now.

Reactions: 1 user