senior year gpa doesn't count?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jillzhou

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
After a sucky freshman year, I realized that if I want to enter medical school as soon as I graduate that would leave me to applying during the summer of junior year..which means senior year practically doesn't count? Is this true?

Members don't see this ad.

Only the first three years of undergrad are counted in the AMCAS GPA if you plan on matriculating after graduation. Your senior courses will probably be listed as "in progress" or something along those lines. However, if you did well in your fall semester senior year classes, you can probably send ad coms an update letter.

Members don't see this ad :)
Wasn't there a thread recently about someone who had their acceptance rescinded due to their poor performance senior year?

Don't blow off your classes.

Just how "sucky" was your freshman year? If you aspire to go to medical school, you may need to take a gap year; in which case, your senior year grades would count.

In my experience about 1/2 of the schools let me submit my fall grades as updates, the others said they'd throw any new grades in the trash.

Oh. That's a shame.

In any case, you've been aiming to be the best you can be from freshman to junior year in order to apply to med school, so why not do the same senior year.

My school has the power to rescind their offer if your senior marks have an average that is 5% or more below your overall average excluding your senior marks. I live in Canada, though, but perhaps some US schools have a similar system. And it's been mentioned it's in your best interest to do well in your senior year in the case that you don't get an admission offer during your senior year.

My school has the power to rescind their offer if your senior marks have an average that is 5% or more below your overall average excluding your senior marks. I live in Canada, though, but perhaps some US schools have a similar system. And it's been mentioned it's in your best interest to do well in your senior year in the case that you don't get an admission offer during your senior year.

I'm glad this didn't apply to my schools. That would've sucked.

Canadian med schools are insane.

My school has a similar policy, but it's not 5%. To be honest, I don't know the exact number, because they make it somewhat subjective, while implying it should be >3.0.

Getting a C during app season = Sentinals made it into Zion
Getting a D during app season = Machines have destroyed the docks and are breaching the keep with big ass drills
Getting an F = Pray for Neo....

Remember, the Adcoms are watching you.

AE604E9A179FADCE6524EB_Large.jpg

After a sucky freshman year, I realized that if I want to enter medical school as soon as I graduate that would leave me to applying during the summer of junior year..which means senior year practically doesn't count? Is this true?

Technically not really, but you still need to do well because you never know what might happen.