Senior Year Grades

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NumbaOneStunna

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
When applying to colleges I know they ask for a mid year report to get your senior year first semester grades. Well for dental schools since I know you can mail out your application during the summer before your senior year do senior year grades matter for d school admissions?

Members don't see this ad.

When applying to colleges I know they ask for a mid year report to get your senior year first semester grades. Well for dental schools since I know you can mail out your application during the summer before your senior year do senior year grades matter for d school admissions?

From reading all the threads you have posted (how low can my GPA possibly go and still get accepted...etc), I feel like you are trying to figure out how little effort you can put into school. If this is the case, you are in for a surprise in dental school. Don't get lazy now....you haven't even gotten in yet (and you still have 4 years to go once you get accepted). Just try your best, work hard, and don't slack off. You won't get into dental school with the "how little can I do" attitude....that is my advice to all your questions.

If you get acceptances by Dec 1st then you don't have to worry about any senior grades.

I think if you are not accepted before your fall grades come out then schools will have the right to see your fall grades.

Members don't see this ad :)
Also, who knows if you'll get in this year? If you don't get accepted this year, that means you'll have to go through the application process all over again -- meaning whatever grades you got in your last year is going to be incorporated into the gpa that schools see. I don't understand why you're trying to see how low you can go without it hurting you. Just do your best. Plus, some schools require you to have a B or better, or other such requirements for your last year.

Does anyone know the rough % of acceptances that come before January?

From reading all the threads you have posted (how low can my GPA possibly go and still get accepted...etc), I feel like you are trying to figure out how little effort you can put into school. If this is the case, you are in for a surprise in dental school. Don't get lazy now....you haven't even gotten in yet (and you still have 4 years to go once you get accepted). Just try your best, work hard, and don't slack off. You won't get into dental school with the "how little can I do" attitude....that is my advice to all your questions.
Thanks for the concern, but I'm just looking at my school work from a cost benefit perspective. No need to stress over getting the best GPA I can when I could get by with a lower but still respectable one (like a 3.5 instead of a 3.9). Although it sounds like this thread is about slacking off, I'm just wondering if it's smart to move the hardest classes in my major to senior year in hopes of inflating my gpa. Is it alright if I take some high lvl bio classes that aren't prereqs but recommended senior year? (Like Anatomy/Physiology and Microbio) Or would d schools need to see my grades in these classes before I apply? Is there a slot for senior year schedule on the application - so you can say you're going to take so and so classes.

PS I'm just a junior, so I'll be applying next year.

Last edited:
Does anyone know the rough % of acceptances that come before January?

Thanks for the concern, but I'm just looking at my school work from a cost benefit perspective. No need to stress over getting the best GPA I can when I could get by with a lower but still respectable one (like a 3.5 instead of a 3.9).
Also I'm just a junior, so I'll be applying next year.

So...if you are sure you only want UF and UCLA then by all means slack off a bit and let your gpa drop a wee bit. 3.6 is still very safe.

Other schools will not like anything below a 3.7 so it's up to you.

EDIT: Maybe a school gives out about 70 acceptances and has 70 seats by Dec 1. Then gives out another 30 or something. I am really estimating.
Depends on the school.

grades always matter....

grades always matter....

Sort of. When you get your acceptance letter each school will tell you what the "conditions of acceptance" are. Some schools say that you must maintain or improve your GPA. Others say that you have to get B's or better in required courses. Most say that you must complete the rest of the classes that you told them you would take ( C or better).

Make sure that you clearly understand what you have to do to maintain your acceptance. You don't want to go that far and then lose your acceptance because you got a D in biochem. Good luck.

Sort of. When you get your acceptance letter each school will tell you what the "conditions of acceptance" are. Some schools say that you must maintain or improve your GPA. Others say that you have to get B's or better in required courses. Most say that you must complete the rest of the classes that you told them you would take ( C or better).

Make sure that you clearly understand what you have to do to maintain your acceptance. You don't want to go that far and then lose your acceptance because you got a D in biochem. Good luck.

Post grad residencies such as OMFS still require undergrad transcripts. If you want that option open, grades still matter.

Post grad residencies such as OMFS still require undergrad transcripts. If you want that option open, grades still matter.

But...why would a school care for a relatively joke courseload compared to the courses we take in dental school that truly demonstrate our potential.

Is this really true? So when apply to post grad residencies they actually look at your undergrad gpa and factor it into the decision - if so how much weight does it carry?

Is this really true? So when apply to post grad residencies they actually look at your undergrad gpa and factor it into the decision - if so how much weight does it carry?

http://web.adea.org/webapps/EPS/SearchDetailResults.asp?ProgNum=OMS235

"Must submit pre-dental college transcripts directly to the program (not to ADEA PASS)"

I won't speculate on how much weight it carries...you'd have to go into the residency subforum. Regardless, they wouldn't include it if it was irrelevant.