Sent thank you letter for interview and have not heard back...bad sign?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pittgirl88

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I had an interview for a PhD program last weekend. On Sunday I sent out thank you emails to three of the professors I interviewed with, including my POI. I heard back from the other two, but not my POI. Should I send another thank you or is that weird? I don't know if it was lost in her many emails, and I don't want her to think I was ungrateful!

I feel like I have been waiting forever to hear back from this school, but it's been less than a week. I'm sure you all can relate!

Any advice on the thank you/moving forward would be appreciated! I'm completely new at this.

Members don't see this ad.

I agree with Dr E - a thank you note doesn't warrant a reply. There are plenty of reasons s/he might not have replied -- didn't want to convey any information that isn't final, too busy, didn't want to get into an awkward exchange where you then reply to the reply and then you're in an infinite thank you note loop... Don't sweat it. :cool:

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm in the same boat but my POI doesn't often reply to emails. I'm sure he must get them though. Can I ask what school and POI? Feel free to PM it.

No, because I had my POI actually say that he/she was going to strongly recommend my admission into the program when he/she responded to my thank you email and then I was waitlisted. So those responses mean nothing as far as I am concerned!

I don't think you should send another. Everyone in the process still have their daily work to do, their research doesn't stop because of admissions season. Sending another will probably just annoy them. Plus, the PIs all discuss applicants, I'm sure, so your poi will know you sent them even if it got lost amongst emails. I agree with others that a thank you email is just that...you shouldn't expect a reply. Some of mine replied and others didn't, I see it as a preference and a function of their own schedule.

Hello all,

I had an interview for a PhD program last weekend. On Sunday I sent out thank you emails to three of the professors I interviewed with, including my POI. I heard back from the other two, but not my POI. Should I send another thank you or is that weird? I don't know if it was lost in her many emails, and I don't want her to think I was ungrateful!

I feel like I have been waiting forever to hear back from this school, but it's been less than a week. I'm sure you all can relate!

Any advice on the thank you/moving forward would be appreciated! I'm completely new at this.

While a thank you email is better than nothing I have always operated under the assumption that a handwritten note on proper stationary is the best way to go. I would think more important correspondence would merit a handwritten note. Just a thought. Good luck!

While a thank you email is better than nothing I have always operated under the assumption that a handwritten note on proper stationary is the best way to go. I would think more important correspondence would merit a handwritten note. Just a thought. Good luck!

Not in this case - handwritten notes take forever to get sorted through our university mail and wind up in the prof's box. An email is quicker and easier for the prof.

Like others have said, I don't think you should send another email or worry about the lack of response. I personally hate responding to thank yous when I don't have more information to give. Saying thank you to a thank you seems unnecessary.

Not in this case - handwritten notes take forever to get sorted through our university mail and wind up in the prof's box. An email is quicker and easier for the prof.

Like others have said, I don't think you should send another email or worry about the lack of response. I personally hate responding to thank yous when I don't have more information to give. Saying thank you to a thank you seems unnecessary.
:thumbup: to all of this. Handwritten notes are a lovely thought but rather impractical, especially when time is of the essence here.

I admittedly get a bit annoyed at receiving the thank you email in the first place. If you were the least bit enthusiastic during the interview, I already know you're thankful about hearing more about the program and meeting the people involved. In fact, you most likely already told me thank you at the interview itself. I understand the nerves and courtesies about this process, though, and wouldn't hold it against a person for sending a thank you.

I admittedly get a bit annoyed at receiving the thank you email in the first place. If you were the least bit enthusiastic during the interview, I already know you're thankful about hearing more about the program and meeting the people involved. In fact, you most likely already told me thank you at the interview itself. I understand the nerves and courtesies about this process, though, and wouldn't hold it against a person for sending a thank you.
I would definitely disagree with this, I know my POI specifically expects thank you emails. It's common courtesy, and shouldn't be assumed that you "seemed thankful enough" while you were there.

I really appreciated the sites I interviewed at for internship that specifically said not to send thank you notes. It's just another step that can cause needless anxiety.

I would definitely disagree with this, I know my POI specifically expects thank you emails. It's common courtesy, and shouldn't be assumed that you "seemed thankful enough" while you were there.

I'd argue it's common courtesy to offer thanks, not necessarily through a follow-up correspondence. Most people I've interviewed have in some form or another have thanked me in person at or after the interview. I would never expect an additional thank you, and as I said, I wouldn't hold it against them if they offered one.