Separate Programs and student loans

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DD214_DOC

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I haven't been able to find an answer to this quesiton, so I'm hoping one of you may have an idea.

I am considering enterting a part-time MBA program, just to have the degree in the future and for something to do. Obviously, medical school and the part-time MBA will overlap.

The question, then, is if I get student loans to pay for the MBA program, will I be ineligable to get student loans to pay for the DO/MD program?

Members don't see this ad.

JKDMed said:
I haven't been able to find an answer to this quesiton, so I'm hoping one of you may have an idea.

I am considering enterting a part-time MBA program, just to have the degree in the future and for something to do. Obviously, medical school and the part-time MBA will overlap.

The question, then, is if I get student loans to pay for the MBA program, will I be ineligable to get student loans to pay for the DO/MD program?

Why not just enter a DO/MBA or MD/MBA program, that has everything combined at one school?

My school, OSU-COM, has such a program, and I know for a fact that there are several others. It would make life much easier for you.

Isn't OSU a public school and takes mostly state residents? Regardless, I'm not gonna sign a contract to practice in OH.

The other other combined DO/MBA I know of is at PCOM, and I don't think I'd be thrilled to live in Philly.

I'll look to see if there are any other programs later.

Members don't see this ad :)
JKDMed said:
Isn't OSU a public school and takes mostly state residents? Regardless, I'm not gonna sign a contract to practice in OH.

The other other combined DO/MBA I know of is at PCOM, and I don't think I'd be thrilled to live in Philly.

I'll look to see if there are any other programs later.

They take 10% out of state, including myself.

KCUMB, OSU-COM, PCOM, and NYCOM all have DO/MBA programs.

OSU is in Oklahoma, and there no contracts required to practice in the state if you attend the school. There are few public medical schools that require you to stay in state after graduation.

OSUdoc08 said:

OSU is in Oklahoma, and there no contracts required to practice in the state if you attend the school. There are no public medical schools that require you to stay in state after graduation.

I was thinking of the school in Ohio. Thanks for the info, I'll look into those schools.

OSUdoc08 said:

OSU is in Oklahoma, and there no contracts required to practice in the state if you attend the school. There are no public medical schools that require you to stay in state after graduation.
Yes there are. OUCOM does if you are an out-of-state applicant you have to sign a contract to practice in state for 5 years after graduation. If you do an osteopathic residency in a CORE hospital then that counts as the 5 years.

DORoe said:
Yes there are. OUCOM does if you are an out-of-state applicant you have to sign a contract to practice in state for 5 years after graduation. If you do an osteopathic residency in a CORE hospital then that counts as the 5 years.

That's ******ed.

OSUdoc08 said:
That's ******ed.
Wow, you responded quickly. I think that it is a bit stupid myself, but that's the way its done here. I have tried to figure out why and have come up with two explanations the first is that it is our way to give preference to in-state students. You say that OSU takes 90% in-state is that a requirement? I don't believe we have a requirement, but this little gem is a de facto preference. The second is that when founding the school the stipulation was that we do the best we can to help provide underserved communities in OH with doctors. If you haven't noticed OH has a lot of medical schools and I am sure that this was one of the things that the founders had to do in order to help justify its creation.

DORoe said:
Wow, you responded quickly. I think that it is a bit stupid myself, but that's the way its done here. I have tried to figure out why and have come up with two explanations the first is that it is our way to give preference to in-state students. You say that OSU takes 90% in-state is that a requirement? I don't believe we have a requirement, but this little gem is a de facto preference. The second is that when founding the school the stipulation was that we do the best we can to help provide underserved communities in OH with doctors. If you haven't noticed OH has a lot of medical schools and I am sure that this was one of the things that the founders had to do in order to help justify its creation.

Yeah the 90% in-state is a requirement. I'm from out of state, by the way.

If what you want is medicine, then it seems that an MBA will not be fulfilling for you. Why not get a masters in something science related? Perhaps go to PA school and keep applying to DO/MD. I know NOVA offers a 1 year Masters program that if you do well you automatically get into the DO program. Current Nova students correct me if i'm wrong

BMW-

JKDMed said:

BMW19 said:
If what you want is medicine, then it seems that an MBA will not be fulfilling for you. Why not get a masters in something science related? Perhaps go to PA school and keep applying to DO/MD. I know NOVA offers a 1 year Masters program that if you do well you automatically get into the DO program. Current Nova students correct me if i'm wrong

BMW-

I disagree.

An MBA would be very valuable for a physician, especially if you plan to own your own practice. Medicine is a business, and as a physician, you will be primarily in a management role. If you do not have any business experience, then you will have a difficult time running a practice. The Dean of our school is a DO, MBA and it is because of him that we now have the program, which just accepted its first students last year.

I would encourage anyone interested in learning more information about getting a DO/MBA to follow this link.

http://www.healthsciences.okstate.edu/college/degrees/do_mba.htm

BMW19 said:

BMW-

It has nothing to do with improving anything to get into med school. I want the MBA for the sake of having the MBA, not as a means to eventually getting a DO/MD.

In the past few months I've really taken a liking to business. In fact, I should have majored in it. So I can see from the course of things that in the future, physician or not, I'm going to be operating businesses, potentially including a practice that is managed by a holding corporation that runs, eventually, my current operation and future operations. This includes whatver practice I may or may not have.

Thus, having the MBA would be a good idea.