Sept 14 DAT done done done

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pewpeww

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Long time lurker, conquered the DAT today and just wanted to share my thoughts since other breakdowns helped me out.

I basically studied for 2 months. Took me 2 weeks to get through Kaplan blue book and Cliffs.I then went over KBB and Cliffs AGAIN and made flashcards for all the key concepts. (pretty helpful for bio I think). After that I started DAT Destroyer. I would also alternate between taking a Math destroyer test or a PAT test. Took me about a month to get through DAT destroyer once. I then went over DAT destroyer again but only got through half way. (fyi, the ochem section of the destroyer is BRUTAL in the middle) Every time I missed something, I would write it down on a note card so I could go over it whenever. About 3 weeks before the test I started doing practice tests.
Monday- test, tuesday- go over test, wed- test, etc. I took the weekends off. Day before the test I just went of DAT destroyer roadmap and Alan's notes for bio. That's about it. I never got how some people studied for 7 days a week, 8-10 hours a day. But if it works for you, go for it. I think the key is to always be attacking your weaknesses and not just studying EVERYTHING

PAT: 22 (90.9)
QR: 23 (97.0)
RC: 24 (94.4)
Bio: 24 (99.1)
Gchem: 28 (99.0)
Ochem: 22 (88.7)
TS: 24 (98.6)
AA: 24 (99.4)

The Breakdown

PAT:
  • keyhole- like what most people said, make sure you pay attention to PROPORTIONS. Difficulty was harder than CDP. I'm pretty sure I missed a couple here
  • TFE- similar to CDP. Speed just comes with practice, just work on it.
  • angles- Slightly easier than CDP (cdp's angles were so frustrating). A tip is sometimes they will give you an angle with two long legs and another another with one short leg and one long leg. Don't fall into the trap. What I like to do is literally cover up parts of the angle with my finger so that I'm always comparing angles with legs of the same length. You'll be surprised how this changes things.
  • hole punching- This is the one section that really caught me off guard. On practice tests and CDP I was easily getting 15/15 on this section but the real test I had a lot of 1/3 folds. You might want to look into some practice problems with 1/3rd folds..but I'm not sure where.
  • cubes- pretty straightforward..
  • pattern folding- slightly harder than CDP but not too bad.

QR: Get math destroyer and use it... seriously. This section just comes down to timing. Actually, this was the one section I freaked out a little bit on. I guessed on 2-3 problems at the last minute because I forgot some trig identities.

RC: Never practiced for this section... I scored an 800 on SAT reading so I was just hoping the DAT would be similar. It pretty much is, just the passages are a little denser. I think the questions are easier on the DAT though. My passages were about hurricanes, Bose-Einstein condensate, and some bacteria and stomach ulcers.

Bio: use Cliffs for sure. I would also use Kaplan blue book for anatomy because cliffs is pretty weak on that. I feel like the more practice you have with bio, the better you'll do generally since there are random questions. But if you study all the main concepts you'll be able to answer at least 80% of the section. A week before the test I went of ALAN's notes which were REALLY helpful. Make sure you go over it. Just google "Alan's notes DAT bio"

Gchem: I feel like most people use Chad's videos or whatever but I didn't. I found the section pretty straightforward... just used Kaplan blue book for a refresher and DAT destroyer for problems.

Ochem: This section was okay. Use DAT destroyer for sure. I recommend going over the roadmap questions first so you can get a grasp on all the important reactions.

Practice Tests
I used KBB which has two tests. I think I scored around 22 for both the tests.

CrackDat PAT: The first test I took I got a 16 and then an 18 mainly because I ran out of time. Don't get discouraged. Just keep working at it and you'll build speed. I ended up getting 22's on the next 8 tests. (ALSO, the CDP software is pretty much identical to the real DAT so that was nice)

TopScore:
Test 1: AA 19, Bio 18, chem 18, ochem 16, PAT 21, QR 23, RC 22
Test 2: AA 21, Bio 19, chem 23, ochem 20, PAT 22, QR 22, RC 22
Test 3: AA 21, Bio 18, chem 18, ochem 23, PAT 22, QR 24, RC 22

ADA 2007 (free):
Don't remember the exact numbers but I think I scored like 28's on the sciences. Good confidence booster I guess, but don't get discouraged if you do poorly. Practice is still practice.

ADA 2009:
only took sciences and PAT: bio 24, chem 24, ochem 21, PAT 22

Pretty much, practice tests are good for practice and timing. But don't get too worried about the score. It gives you a rough estimate but you never know come test day.

GOOD LUCK !

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Monday- test, tuesday- go over test, wed- test, etc. I took the weekends off. Day before the test I just went of DAT destroyer roadmap and Alan's notes for bio. That's about it. I never got how some people studied for 7 days a week, 8-10 hours a day. But if it works for you, go for it. I think the key is to always be attacking your weaknesses and not just studying EVERYTHING.

Yes, yes, yes! I agree with all of this. Being an efficient studier is key!

Anyhow, congratulations! Your scores are absolutely wonderful.

Congratulations! If I were you I would play "24" as a lotto number :laugh: Good luck with your application!

Members don't see this ad :)