September 10th, 2009 MCAT club

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

unDRdog

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Alright everyone...I know its early but 3 months will blow by very quickly!!! Hope everyone is reaching their study goals and finding their own rhythm during this marathon!!!... Thought i would create this to track our progress/hold each other accountable/share thoughts leading up to our exam...time to narrow our scope of focus and kill this freakin thing!!!!:diebanana:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I guessed 32 questions, 5 of them I left time for review and were unmarked, others still unsure.
7 in PS, 11 in VR (can't believe it), 9 in BS
If I got all these questions wrong, based on the difficulty of the test, I could probably score 14 in PS, 8 in VR, 12 in BS, altogether 34
If I got half of them right
It would be 15 in PS, 10 in VR, 14 in BS, altogether 39, which is a satisfying score.
But there would be possible careless errors I made in my task.
Taking that into account, my estimation would be 14 in PS, 9 in VR, 13 in BS, 36 as a result. Not bad, not good either.
I will watch see if my guess is right.
However, I wish that the VR curve is forgiving, so that my total score will turn out fine.

I guessed 32 questions, 5 of them I left time for review and were unmarked, others still unsure.
7 in PS, 11 in VR (can't believe it), 9 in BS
If I got all these questions wrong, based on the difficulty of the test, I could probably score 14 in PS, 8 in VR, 12 in BS, altogether 34
If I got half of them right
It would be 15 in PS, 10 in VR, 14 in BS, altogether 39, which is a satisfying score.
But there would be possible careless errors I made in my task.
Taking that into account, my estimation would be 14 in PS, 9 in VR, 13 in BS, 36 as a result. Not bad, not good either.
I will watch see if my guess is right.
However, I wish that the VR curve is forgiving, so that my total score will turn out fine.

I'm not understanding this post

what are you basing this curve on? It is so much more generous than AAMC practice tests. 7 wrong in PS and still get a 14 in PS? I know you said it's a guess, but are there any grounds for it?

I'm not understanding this post

what are you basing this curve on? It is so much more generous than AAMC practice tests. 7 wrong in PS and still get a 14 in PS? I know you said it's a guess, but are there any grounds for it?

Yeah, not sure where you're going for these data, but 7 wrong is most definitely not a 14. More like a 12, generously. Also, 36 is a fantastic score, and certainly not one about which to be disappointed!

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, not sure where you're going for these data, but 7 wrong is most definitely not a 14. More like a 12, generously. Also, 36 is a fantastic score, and certainly not one about which to be disappointed!

Yep, in addition, not to rain on your parade, but you are also assuming that every question you answered, and was not a guess, was correct. This is something I have come to learn is far from right since many answers can be trick answers that you feel comfortable answering and think are right but ended up getting wrong in the end. With that said, just wait a few more weeks and you will know your score instead of frantically trying to calculate the range your score falls in, I do it too, but also realize it is far from my control. Based on what everyone is saying, the curve for BS will be minimal since it truly did seem to be easier relative to most exams and missing 9 would then be around the 11/12 range. The verbal and PS will hopefully have a decent one.

Everyday I keep kicking myself over 4 easy questions on the PS that I know I got wrong in retrospect. Anyone else having that problem? lol

On the real MCAT I liked the physics question about pressure that was on a practice AAMC. Didn't expect to see any questions from the practice tests on the real deal.

i am really enjoying this happy medium between test date and score release. i am pretty convinced that i messed up and will need to retake expecting like 7 ps, 5 v, 8 bs. However i am going to wait until scores come out before i start studying for the re-take. i wish scores weren't released for another 2 or 3 months again, i really don't want to sink back into this MCAT induced dark zone again- especially the 2 weeks leading to the MCAT omggg

im a huge fan of both...going to texas vs tech tomorrow...so pumped. But, reading this 9/10 blog is depressing. I thought it was much harder than most of the other samples I had taken. FML...thank god for a huge Horns/Cowboys weekend.

Anyone else trying to keep themselves busy - research, school, work - to distract them from the roughly 22 days left?:eek:

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know if some of these 9/10 questions were repeated from an earlier 2009 exam? I would assume the MCAT writers would have enough Q's so they wouldn't have to repeat, but not sure.

im hating the wait...i don't know whether i bombed it or rocked it. I feel like im in purgatory. I just want to know my score so the anxiety will go away.

Can someone help me please?
I took physics many years ago and I am having a tough time studying the physics section for the mcat. People on this site suggest to use the Berkley Review physics books because they are more detail oriented. Can anyone give me the ISBN# for these books so I can buy them online. Thanks...

I'm assuming October 13th is the latest we'll get the scores back, but how soon do people usually get them back? Is it typically on that day, or on the Friday before or something like that?

am i the only one on here who doesn't want to know how poorly i did?
i am really enjoying not thinking about anything MCAT related..but i know when the results come out i will have to think about when to re-take :(

I don't know what's worse: waiting for the MCAT scores to be released or waiting for my AACOMAS application to become verified. Both suck.

So, the general feeling of the exam is: Physical = medium; Verbal = verbal; Biological = easy/moderate?

I don't think there were any experimental questions/passages, but you never know.

Man, I feel the sorrow and pain pushing its way in. Hope we all make it someday. I'll try my best to keep my composure at school. :smack:

Last edited:
i feel like i took the test two years ago...everyday i check multiple times, hoping that we will get our scores earlier. So painful...

so does anyone else keep getting that sick-to-their-stomach feeling everytime they think about the MCAT or hear someone say MCAT? I did well forgetting about for about three-and-a-half weeks, but now anxiety is starting to set in

30M

Went up from a 29O. Kind of sad about that writing score (considering I practically minored in creative writing, it's really wtf...), but I'm so glad I finally managed to score in the "30s". :)

10's across the board
30S
Not trying to be a troll but I am pretty disappointed. This is 2 or 3 points below my AAMC average. I thought I did better than this.
Oh well!

first attempt (july31): 11/8/11/S, 30S, rewrote cause that 8 in VR is just not gonna cut it anywhere.
second attempt (sep10): 12/9/9/R, 30R, satisfied enough. not really good for most ontario schools, but at least I'm eligible for UofT now!

and FYI: I thought physics was my worst section by far. I barely had any time left when I finished the section, I thought it was ridiculously hard, and I got a 12. On the other hand, I thought Bio was super easy, and lo and behold I got a 9. just another story to illustrate that you really can't know what you got after the exam is over, just need to wait for the scores to show up.

34!!!!!!!!

Is this a good enough score to apply to a school with MSAR average 36?

Yes, the MSAR takes into account everyone accepted by a given school and not just the entering class. My guess is that the entering class has somewhere between a 34 and 35 average.

i think i have officially lost my mind..i was planning on drinking and only then checking my score but i thought when i was feeling like **** and crying would be optimal...and looked right now. i've had a rough week/month and as i was watching youtube christmas videos i started balling...then i go to my score report see my 22R and start laughing hysterically. 7,7,8 R is my breakdown. I did not practice a single essay prior to this. How is it that studying during the summer the 3 other sections made me score bad, and something i did not practice at all put me in the 84% range? And english is my second language.

Its amazing how i am now smiling.
Eventhough i did not want to see my score and wasn't even thinking about it most of the month, i think subconcsiouly i was very worried about it, leading me to be very stressed out this month. Thank god this wait is over.
Now i can hopefully take care of my mental health and THEN retake.

MY lowest score ever by the way. Even my first diagnostic was higher than this.

Checked last night, slept on it.:sleep:

Score: 29Q - 9, 10, 10
I think it is very solid, no really low score on a particular sections. But definitely going to retake. I know how to study for the exam now, just need to execute.
Thought I was going to bomb verbal, but did decent. By the way, this is a higher verbal score than on any by AAMCs (average ~7). THERE IS HOPE PEOPLE! Also, on the real test, I ran out of time and skipped a passage...just guessed all C's on it....clutch.:cool:
Surprisingly biology was lower than any of my practice tests (average ~11.5).

Praises if you did well! Good luck if your going to retake!

i think i have officially lost my mind..i was planning on drinking and only then checking my score but i thought when i was feeling like **** and crying would be optimal...and looked right now. i've had a rough week/month and as i was watching youtube christmas videos i started balling...then i go to my score report see my 22R and start laughing hysterically. 7,7,8 R is my breakdown. I did not practice a single essay prior to this. How is it that studying during the summer the 3 other sections made me score bad, and something i did not practice at all put me in the 84% range? And english is my second language.

Its amazing how i am now smiling.
Eventhough i did not want to see my score and wasn't even thinking about it most of the month, i think subconcsiouly i was very worried about it, leading me to be very stressed out this month. Thank god this wait is over.
Now i can hopefully take care of my mental health and THEN retake.

MY lowest score ever by the way. Even my first diagnostic was higher than this.

You've got Awesome courage. But you know how it is, it's all about how bad you want it. The great thing is that your scores are solid and not lopsided in one way (ex: 4, 12, 6), it gives you the confidence that you can crack that 30 by just improving each section a bit more!
Good luck next time!!:xf:
By the way, that is SICK writing score for zero practice!:clap:

Everyday I keep kicking myself over 4 easy questions on the PS that I know I got wrong in retrospect. Anyone else having that problem? lol

Yea I am having that problem also!! I came home after the test and figured out the questions I didnt have time for.. It pisses me off:mad:.. ah well though , nothing we can do about it now :)

I had a feeling they were going to release early because these are the last summer/september scores that were going to be released for the year. I came home and checked it and to my surprise my score popped up!

PS: 11 (felt like crap after this section, thought i bombed it)
VR: 10
BS: 11
WR: Q

overall: 32Q

I couldn't be happier! I worked so friggen hard, I'm glad it paid off. Also glad I didn't void which I really wanted to.

Congrats to all those who got the score they wanted, and good luck to those who have to retake...give em hell next time!!!

33Q!!!

PS - 13 VR-9 BS-11

This is completely unexpected...thought Physical sciences was average (not hard, not easy) - did not expect 13 AT ALL though.

VR - I ran out of time on the real exam and sort of freaked out towards the end and literally guessed on 8 different questions and somehow came out with a 9...ecstatic about this score even though it is NOTHING special.

BS - I felt like this section was a joke and was VERY easy...apparently I thought wrong and missed some tricks because I was averaging 12 on the last 5-6 exams I took and so i hoped for a 12-13 on this section. Oh well...im very satisfied that it is OVER!

Also...to give others hope...you can get any score you want if you work hard enough. I started at an 18...and with 7-8 hours every single day of studying for 2.5 months...got averages up to 34 before taking it. Anything is possible. Peace!

=)

checked last night, slept on it.:sleep:

Score: 29q - 9, 10, 10
i think it is very solid, no really low score on a particular sections. But definitely going to retake. I know how to study for the exam now, just need to execute.
Thought i was going to bomb verbal, but did decent. By the way, this is a higher verbal score than on any by aamcs (average ~7). There is hope people! Also, on the real test, i ran out of time and skipped a passage...just guessed all c's on it....clutch.:cool:
Surprisingly biology was lower than any of my practice tests (average ~11.5).

Praises if you did well! Good luck if your going to retake!

Last edited:
41Q (P:13, V:14, B:14) I'm a happy little camper :)

The stress was messing with my head the day of... I'm not kidding, I came dangerously close to voiding becase I was obsessing about a few questions and freaking out since halfway through the PS section. I also had to pee during the BS section, which helped speed my decision to have the exam scored. That really seems to be half the battle in this whole process (while combating the urge to pee was half the battle during the BS section, I'm referring to the 'not freaking out' in general :p), it's so easy to get intimidated. Gotta just keep on truckin'.
Remember: Follow your dreams. You can reach your goals, I'm living proof... beefcake. BEEFCAKE! Good luck everyone :)

Just got mine back 34Q

13(PS) 11(VR) 10(BS) Q

geez, I was expecting a 9 from VR but at least a 11 from BS. now bs is 2 points lower than what i really wanted. would it be a problem for me? (i am aiming for my state school and maybe a few top 20-40 schools). i am a non-trad student and a very late applicant in this cycle by the way.

suggestions are most welcome. thanks! (should i consider taking the January test?)

Congrats on a great score Mr Meowmeow!

I forgot to post back in this thread. I ended up getting a:

35S (PS 13, VR 10, BS 12)

I'm a little disappointed since I was expecting a higher score, but overall, I'm happy with it and glad it's done with! My practice exam range was from 35-39 and the average was between 36-37. My last practice AAMC (number 10) going into the exam was a 38 so I figured I had a reasonable chance of scoring around 36 or 37.

I'm not sure what happened with the BS section but, like many people noted, it seemed pretty easy for the most part, so I'm thinking the scale for that section was harsher that for the others. I pretty much expected a 10 on VR because I got that score on nearly every practice AAMC. I was worried about PS because it was harder than the practice exams and I expected it to be my worst section, but I'm pleasantly surprised with the 13.

Overall, I'm really happy it's done with and that I don't have to worry about retaking it. What a relief!! Good luck everyone else. Not that many people are posting; how come?

seems like everyone did fairly well on this exam. Me personally I got a 34Q (11PS, 11VS, 12BS)..... did better on verbal than i thought and worse in physical sciences but I am still happy with my score overall. I got a 27 the first time around but had studied like **** and therefore knew i could do better. Congrats to all you folks out there who stuck with it and pooped all over this exam. To those who didnt, no worries major improvements are quite easy with proper studying and more dedication. (also not studying at 9 pm til 1 am after 12 hour work days helps too).