September 13 DAT :D

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

crow14

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I took my DAT on September 13, I had only took 1 practice test before taking it...got a 14AA 18PAT 14TS :scared: Although I had taken my MCAT a week before the practice test....[taking both to keep my options open]. So here's my breakdown on the DAT I took on Sep 13:

PAT: 20
QR: 19
RC: 24 :D
Bio: 17
Gchem: 21
Ochem: 17
TS: 18
AA: 20

I have a 3.5 cGPA, around a 3.4 sGPA...Do I have a chance at lower tier dent schools in California?

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know about your chances but congrats!

Why do you want dentistry? Do you have a preference either way. I don't know for sure but I think going for medical and dental simultaneously could hurt you at interviews.

I agree that taking both tests will hinder your chances of getting in for dentistry because the schools will think (accurately I think) that you just want to become a doctor with no particular desire to be a dentist. Most of us here have always wanted to be dentists and those schools want to give their limited spots to people who adore the profession. Not, people who adore the paycheck the profession may provide. Anyway, best of luck with your application to dental and medical school. :)

So I took my DAT on September 13, I had only took 1 practice test before taking it...got a 14AA 18PAT 14TS :scared: Although I had taken my MCAT a week before the practice test....[taking both to keep my options open]. So here's my breakdown on the DAT I took on Sep 13:

PAT: 20
QR: 19
RC: 24 :D
Bio: 17
Gchem: 21
Ochem: 17
TS: 18
AA: 20

I have a 3.5 cGPA, around a 3.4 sGPA...Do I have a chance at lower tier dent schools in California?

JUst go to Medical School better and let me take your spot in Dental School. Congrats on your scores ..:) ,( i am so jealous ) Find real reason why you want to be a dentist instead of Doctor? How did you do on MCAT? If you get interview for dental school be prepare to get question like " huh, I see you also took MCAT, why would I consider you for admission to dentistry? Well, GOOD Luck

Members don't see this ad :)
JUst go to Medical School better and let me take your spot in Dental School. Congrats on your scores ..:) ,( i am so jealous ) Find real reason why you want to be a dentist instead of Doctor? How did you do on MCAT? If you get interview for dental school be prepare to get question like " huh, I see you also took MCAT, why would I consider you for admission to dentistry? Well, GOOD Luck

Dentists are doctors.

Dentists are doctors.

Attorneys have a doctorate as well, but I don't think they expect to be called doctor. This whole forum is dedicated to "dr" professions, but everyone knows the term doctor is widely reserved for physicians..ease up.

Well, I've always been good with my hands and I've always wanted to work in the medical field since I was like 7 or 8. My plan is to be a missionary and the most needed professions overseas are Dentists and Surgeons. My original plan was to just do surgery but my cousin got into Dental school two years ago and it seems really interesting and something I would really enjoy so it's something that I've been thinking about for the past two years.

and @awaitsimpatient I haven't gotten my MCAT score yet, I get it on October 6 :xf:

So I took my DAT on September 13, I had only took 1 practice test before taking it...got a 14AA 18PAT 14TS :scared: Although I had taken my MCAT a week before the practice test....[taking both to keep my options open].

So many people ask if the DAT is harder than the MCAT, and geez, if you could take the MCAT a week before and end up with those scores on a practice test... That's saying something! The tests are very different, though, and I think the DAT sciences may very well be more difficult (in my unprofessional opinion)! It kind of rubs me wrong when people think of going to dental school as the "easy route." It ain't easy!! :D

I also remember reading a thread back in the day where a person said they studied a few weeks for the MCAT and did well but it took them months to study for the DAT and do well. I wonder if this is at all common between those who take both tests? The amount of people who do this is probably far too small to form any consensus.

Congratulations, and best of luck in all that you do!

P.S. I don't think that taking both will necessarily hinder you too much, provided that you have a good reason for pursuing dentistry instead of medicine--and this would take some time and experience to determine. If you're applying this year, though, it might seem like you are just completely undecided, and schools might not take too fondly to that. If you are a 2013 applicant, though, then I think this is fine! It's good to keep options open!

P.S.S. It isn't any of my business, but when you get your MCAT scores, I'd love to know what they were... I've just always been curious as to how a person's scores would compare between the two. If you'd rather not, though, I completely understand!

So many people ask if the DAT is harder than the MCAT, and geez, if you could take the MCAT a week before and end up with those scores on a practice test... That's saying something! The tests are very different, though, and I think the DAT sciences may very well be more difficult (in my unprofessional opinion)! It kind of rubs me wrong when people think of going to dental school as the "easy route." It ain't easy!! :D

I also remember reading a thread back in the day where a person said they studied a few weeks for the MCAT and did well but it took them months to study for the DAT and do well. I wonder if this is at all common between those who take both tests? The amount of people who do this is probably far too small to form any consensus.

Congratulations, and best of luck in all that you do!

P.S. I don't think that taking both will necessarily hinder you too much, provided that you have a good reason for pursuing dentistry instead of medicine--and this would take some time and experience to determine. If you're applying this year, though, it might seem like you are just completely undecided, and schools might not take too fondly to that. If you are a 2013 applicant, though, then I think this is fine! It's good to keep options open!

P.S.S. It isn't any of my business, but when you get your MCAT scores, I'd love to know what they were... I've just always been curious as to how a person's scores would compare between the two. If you'd rather not, though, I completely understand!

I agree, going dentistry is NOT the easy route. lol But I think I'm just naturally good with perceptual things, I'm very artistic and I love drawing and I use to make 3d models for cgi videos just for fun.

I'm applying for Dent in 2013 so I hope things go fine :)

I honestly think that out of the sciences, BIO and OCHEM are aloooot harder on the DAT, but Gchem seems about the same. The verbal part (at least to me) seems to be easier on the DAT. the PAT and QR are both completely different from anything on the MCAT so I think it makes it harder.

But yea, I'll let you know. I don't really mind. :laugh: If I do good or bad, it doesn't really affect me if I tell other people. lol