September is Pain Awareness Month

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drusso

Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
Reaction score
1630558112682.png

Members don't see this ad.

It’s going to be PTSD awareness for me…Texas just passed a medical marijuana bill for PTSD, I anticipate a lot more anxious people suddenly discovering they have been traumatized.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
It’s going to be PTSD awareness for me…Texas just passed a medical marijuana bill for PTSD, I anticipate a lot more anxious people suddenly discovering they have been traumatized.
How this gonna change ur practice? Also who’s gonna be prescribing this? Psychiatrists - along with their benzos?

How this gonna change ur practice? Also who’s gonna be prescribing this? Psychiatrists - along with their benzos?
Probably set opioid MED limit to <30mg and require a note from their psychiatrist/PCP confirming they have PTSD. As far as the medical certification that states they qualify for THC for cancer pain or THC for PTSD, that will have to come from their oncologist or psychiatrist/PCP. Or they can find another pain physician to address this. I'll be interested to see what people think at the Texas Pain Society meeting.

Probably set opioid MED limit to <30mg and require a note from their psychiatrist/PCP confirming they have PTSD. As far as the medical certification that states they qualify for THC for cancer pain or THC for PTSD, that will have to come from their oncologist or psychiatrist/PCP. Or they can find another pain physician to address this. I'll be interested to see what people think at the Texas Pain Society meeting.
Or they can find another pain physician to address this.

Easy answer from you already.

Reactions: 3 users
Meds or thc not both. Same for Etoh and meds

Reactions: 3 users
Only thing you can control is your prescribing. I think that only thing you need to do is remind people that THC use is a violation of their opioid contract (assuming it is). I did the same thing when my state made recreational marijuana "legal".

Reactions: 1 users
Only thing you can control is your prescribing. I think that only thing you need to do is remind people that THC use is a violation of their opioid contract (assuming it is). I did the same thing when my state made recreational marijuana "legal".
This is what I have done as well. No opiates with other substances.

Patient's choice THC (I don't RX or provide "card"), etoh, benzo, soma, ambien, or opiate

In my state any physician can pay to obtain license to prescribe medical marijuana card. A sports med doc and a neurosurgeon are the ones that provide the most.

Reactions: 2 users
This is what I have done as well. No opiates with other substances.

Patient's choice THC (I don't RX or provide "card"), etoh, benzo, soma, ambien, or opiate

In my state any physician can pay to obtain license to prescribe medical marijuana card. A sports med doc and a neurosurgeon are the ones that provide the most.
Neurosurgeon? I would expect palliative but I guess ok

“We don’t know the long term effects of combining opioids with dank herb because of the government’s racist prohibition of medical research on the ganja for 6 decades , and I personally am not willing to role the dice on your health because of this ignorant government policy from the Nixon era. Please write your legislators and ask them to pass the J immediately.”

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Worth joining/attending?
I signed up for the conference based on the agenda but I wanted to pick some brains about local guidelines and practice culture. I don’t pay membership dues.

You made the words big
Lobel with the big words for big fax.

If anything, for me September is mismanagement awareness month. The worst combination in a clinician is being ignorant of proper prescribing practices, and being a sucker for a good story.

Had an inherited pump not working that we were weaning down morphine to try prialt. Decided he was uninterested and found a new doctor:

$150 cash for 30 min telehealth. Not bad.

Had an inherited pump not working that we were weaning down morphine to try prialt. Decided he was uninterested and found a new doctor:

$150 cash for 30 min telehealth. Not bad.
I see billboards for this kind of thing when I drive through legal states. I imagine it’s brisk business until more people get into it.