Serious Question: GPA aside, what should you be coming away with from the prerequisites?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LM75

Membership Revoked
Removed
Reaction score
I thought I'd ask this here and not the pre-med forum.

Obviously the numbers are what counts but lets all be honest here, even though we get an A in general biology, we will forget most of that information and remember things here and there.

I remember I took a respiratory physiology test in my A&P class once and I failed it. I probably should have studied harder but for whatever reason for that test, I ended up failing that exam. I went to talk to the professor and he said don't worry about it, I know you are getting it. He knew I would ask questions in class and during office hours so he was already familiar with me. Now that test was eventually dropped and I got an A in the course but the A did not mean that I got 100's across the board.

So using that as an example, what is the real takeaway from the prerequisite work or of undergraduate work in general? Is it all about knowledge or is it more about building some type of foundation for which you can then build your next steps on.

Members don't see this ad.

Have the strongest understanding of the concepts as you can. Minute facts are forgotten 6 months out.
I have met the kids who score 90+% on every exam but when you speak about novel concepts in the subject area they are lost.

Have the strongest understanding of the concepts as you can. Minute facts are forgotten 6 months out.
I have met the kids who score 90+% on every exam but when you speak about novel concepts in the subject area they are lost.

That's good to know. Do you think the higher the grade you get has more of a correlation to hard work and dedication?

Our brains are not hard drives even though sometimes I think that's what school thinks they should be.

Members don't see this ad :)
A large part of grades I feel like is being proactive with assignments and study. But for individual courses...
Bio- Flash cards or Anki and an A is easily achievable.
Chem- Strength with basic algebra and basic chemistry concepts.
Orgo- Slightly harder concepts and some memorization of mechanisms and reagents.
Physics- A little stronger algebra skills required and do some practice problems before exams.

I have strong algebra skills (not a math wizard just fundamentals) and concepts click but I am average with memorization.
I don't see why anyone cannot 4.0 the prereqs but you may have to dedicate more time to your weak subjects.

Med school I guess I will see next year ;) But I am excited to be a FT student instead of juggling 15 credits with working a job.

Working knowledge of cell bio, physiology, microbiology and general concepts of biochemistry can be useful in medical school. Everything else such as general chemistry, organic chemistry, physics, sociology and psychology are unnecessary knowledge. You can pick up whatever else from med school.

Working knowledge of cell bio, physiology, microbiology and general concepts of biochemistry can be useful in medical school. Everything else such as general chemistry, organic chemistry, physics, sociology and psychology are unnecessary knowledge. You can pick up whatever else from med school.

Thanks, I've heard that before so it's nice to hear it again.

Any other things that really separate the medical school experience from undergrad?

I do have a solid working knowledge of all those classes minus the chem/orgo/physics but I feel like I don't know anything. That's the part that is a little scary. I have no idea what you're expected to know BEFORE you start class.

Thanks, I've heard that before so it's nice to hear it again.

Any other things that really separate the medical school experience from undergrad?

I do have a solid working knowledge of all those classes minus the chem/orgo/physics but I feel like I don't know anything. That's the part that is a little scary. I have no idea what you're expected to know BEFORE you start class.
You're expected to know nothing. Whatever you know from before may make some parts easier, but they won't assume that you must know the structure to each intermediate of the krebs cycle (in fact, you'll never learn structures).

Medical School is basically undergrad on steroids. Imagine that microbiology class you took over quarter or a semester but instead now it's 4 weeks, but you're also taking that immunology class and for ****s and giggles they also add pharmacology. You get a test every 2 weeks, but now the test is some clinical scenario like "45 yo M presents with knee pain. PMHx is remarkable for Bell's palsy. Yada yada yada. He states he recently retired as a park ranger in New England. What will be seen on gram stain for the offending organism?" You just finished learning 40 bugs and all they do the last 2 weeks.

You're expected to know nothing. Whatever you know from before may make some parts easier, but they won't assume that you must know the structure to each intermediate of the krebs cycle (in fact, you'll never learn structures).

Medical School is basically undergrad on steroids. Imagine that microbiology class you took over quarter or a semester but instead now it's 4 weeks, but you're also taking that immunology class and for ****s and giggles they also add pharmacology. You get a test every 2 weeks, but now the test is some clinical scenario like "45 yo M presents with knee pain. PMHx is remarkable for Bell's palsy. Yada yada yada. He states he recently retired as a park ranger in New England. What will be seen on gram stain for the offending organism?" You just finished learning 40 bugs and all they do the last 2 weeks.

LOL Awesome! :p