Serious Question, Please Advise

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

plzhelp2012

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
First off, this is a personal and true story, and I am not looking for people who are going to criticize or lecture me. I know I screwed up, and now I simply want to know whether I should spend the time, money and effort on the MCAT....Here's the story: a few years ago (3 to be precise) I was pulled over for having my headlights out. I was warming the car up in the parking lot and had simply forgot to turn the knob all the way (i was driving my sisters car and didn't realize only the fog lights were on). Anyways, i had drank 4 beers over the course of a few hours, and when the cop asked if I had been drinking I said yes. He gave me a roadside and I blew a .071. However, I was 20 years old and therefore was immediately given a DWAI, which is what they give to minors if they aren't legally drunk but do have alcohol in their system (it is a traffic misdemeanor). The worst part was that I was driving my friend about a block, as we were going to spend the night at his place. I have never done anything else wrong (aka my record is otherwise clean). And I thank god that I did not bring harm to anyone as I never would have been able to forgive myself.

Since then, I have started a designated drivers program at my university (as it did not previously exist), and I assumed the role of Risk Manager for my fraternity--both to show I have matured and learned from my mistakes. I rarely consume alcohol anymore (only an occasional glass wine or beer for special occasions). I have volunteered at a hospital, I have done research for diabetes, and I have shadowed multiple doctors to total over 500 hours in clinical settings. I am also submitting a personal research project for publication right now. My cumulative and science GPA's are 3.62 and 3.52 respectively.

Now for my question, does it make sense for me to put in the time and effort on the MCAT? More specifically, does anyone know if I can get accepted to med school with a DWAI (essentially a DUI) conviction on my record? I feel that I could do very well on the MCAT and my goal is to break at least a 30, but i think it would be pointless if I did so and never got accepted to med school because of my poor and immature decision I made a few years ago. In addition, I would be perfectly content with D.O. School if I could not become an M.D.

Members don't see this ad.

I wouldn't say you'll encounter no problem at all, but by the sounds of it, it seems you've taken all the right steps to prove maturity and change. I think it all boils down to people reading your story or not. If I were you, I'd apply.

its very hard to say. You will have a rough time at any type of program (MD,DO,PA,Podiatrist) with a DUI...

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, to be entirely honest, we all know that we all do stupid stuff all the time. And you're not the only one who has driven underage with etoh.

That being said, it all depends on how you present yourself. I can see two limbs you can present yourself:

1) focus on the situation, and show how it was a true learning experience and since then you're basically night and day from the old you. I think if written well, i think it shows some humility, modesty, and maturity in the way you've developed.

2) avoid it, and only mention it if it's needed. Some schools do in fact do the background checks pretty late in the game, whereas some have questions right off the bat about your 'criminal history', such as Vermont. I'd say a school like UVM would not be a perferred school to apply to, because of that.

I think if you make a very solid impression with the school, do follow-up letters and really get your name across to the admissions director, they might be able to vouch for you when the situation is brought up. If not, it might be hard for them to standup for your during the questioning period.

That's how I see it, but heck i'm not an adcom, so there you have it.

Good luck though, and I'm glad you've decided to be honest with yourself and mature through the process.

Well, to be entirely honest, we all know that we all do stupid stuff all the time. And you're not the only one who has driven underage with etoh.

That being said, it all depends on how you present yourself. I can see two limbs you can present yourself:

1) focus on the situation, and show how it was a true learning experience and since then you're basically night and day from the old you. I think if written well, i think it shows some humility, modesty, and maturity in the way you've developed.

2) avoid it, and only mention it if it's needed. Some schools do in fact do the background checks pretty late in the game, whereas some have questions right off the bat about your 'criminal history', such as Vermont. I'd say a school like UVM would not be a perferred school to apply to, because of that.

I think if you make a very solid impression with the school, do follow-up letters and really get your name across to the admissions director, they might be able to vouch for you when the situation is brought up. If not, it might be hard for them to standup for your during the questioning period.

That's how I see it, but heck i'm not an adcom, so there you have it.

Good luck though, and I'm glad you've decided to be honest with yourself and mature through the process.

Cant you clear a juvenile record?

Cant you clear a juvenile record?
20 is not a juvenile.

I hope ADCOMs see it the way I do: stupid little mistake, and since you were under the alcohol threshold for adults, it was mostly the cops being dicks (or "following the law" if you still believe in that) than anything else.

There is a guy on here that got DUI and was accepted. He might pm you to tell you about his situation.

Anyway, I think you will have some explanation but it seems doable. I would apply if I were you. I got an arrest w no conviction so I know how it feels to apply with something like that. However my background checks are all clean.

First off, this is a personal and true story, and I am not looking for people who are going to criticize or lecture me. I know I screwed up, and now I simply want to know whether I should spend the time, money and effort on the MCAT....Here's the story: a few years ago (3 to be precise) I was pulled over for having my headlights out. I was warming the car up in the parking lot and had simply forgot to turn the knob all the way (i was driving my sisters car and didn't realize only the fog lights were on). Anyways, i had drank 4 beers over the course of a few hours, and when the cop asked if I had been drinking I said yes. He gave me a roadside and I blew a .071. However, I was 20 years old and therefore was immediately given a DWAI, which is what they give to minors if they aren't legally drunk but do have alcohol in their system (it is a traffic misdemeanor). The worst part was that I was driving my friend about a block, as we were going to spend the night at his place. I have never done anything else wrong (aka my record is otherwise clean). And I thank god that I did not bring harm to anyone as I never would have been able to forgive myself.

Since then, I have started a designated drivers program at my university (as it did not previously exist), and I assumed the role of Risk Manager for my fraternity--both to show I have matured and learned from my mistakes. I rarely consume alcohol anymore (only an occasional glass wine or beer for special occasions). I have volunteered at a hospital, I have done research for diabetes, and I have shadowed multiple doctors to total over 500 hours in clinical settings. I am also submitting a personal research project for publication right now. My cumulative and science GPA's are 3.62 and 3.52 respectively.

Now for my question, does it make sense for me to put in the time and effort on the MCAT? More specifically, does anyone know if I can get accepted to med school with a DWAI (essentially a DUI) conviction on my record? I feel that I could do very well on the MCAT and my goal is to break at least a 30, but i think it would be pointless if I did so and never got accepted to med school because of my poor and immature decision I made a few years ago. In addition, I would be perfectly content with D.O. School if I could not become an M.D.
Enough time has passed that if this is the only blemish on your record, with an otherwise excellent application and a good explanation for the required essay, I think you can reasonably proceed with an application cycle and have a chance of success.

Fattyslug, can u pm me the user and I'll message him/her myself to see if they have any advice for me? Thanks!