(Serious) Why do 4th year students need supervision but midlevels don't?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I agree. They couldn't be more different. But not being equivalent doesn't mean there isn't a reason for NPs to ever function independently.

Should there be a high standard? Yes. Should they need YEARS of experience first? Yes.

But I'd rather patients see a NP/PA rather than not be able to be seen. And especially in rural areas, it can be difficult to be seen. I've experienced this myself. For primary care in my hometown of 1,200 people (called officially a "Village", your only real option for a PCP is a nurse practitioner unless you want to drive 45 mins or so.
If we're so big on the NP rural thing, would it be fine to mandate X years of rural work to accompany this independence?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I would have no problem with that. Like I and everyone else has stated, you won't find much opposition to holding NP/PAs to a high standard. It shouldn't be just handed out to everyone. It should be an alternate method to practice only given to the most experienced nurses that have much experience.

If you disagree, what role would you suggest NPs fill? What would distinguish them from a typical RN?

I would have no problem with that. Like I and everyone else has stated, you won't find much opposition to holding NP/PAs to a high standard. It shouldn't be just handed out to everyone. It should be an alternate method to practice only given to the most experienced nurses that have much experience.

If you disagree, what role would you suggest NPs fill? What would distinguish them from a typical RN?

I think most of us were cool with NPs/PAs existing in fewer numbers, fully dependent on physician supervision and seeing the very basic visits. Independence would be something to agree to if it meant long term commitment to a rural area with no physicians.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I think most of us were cool with NPs/PAs existing in fewer numbers, fully dependent on physician supervision and seeing the very basic visits. Independence would be something to agree to if it meant long term commitment to a rural area with no physicians.
Sounds reasonable to me...

This thread finally actually jumped the shark for me.

Jerry-Seinfeld-No-Thanks-and-Leave.gif

Fun fact: if you block medicinez0z, the last 200 posts just look like people bitching out no one in particular, just all vying to repeat themselves ad nauseum until they are the person with the last word. That that i *did* (at least not permanently), but that its awfully funny if you happen to do it.

Reactions: 1 users
This thread finally actually jumped the shark for me.

Jerry-Seinfeld-No-Thanks-and-Leave.gif

Fun fact: if you block medicinez0z, the last 200 posts just look like people bitching out no one in particular, just all vying to repeat themselves ad nauseum until they are the person with the last word. That that i *did* (at least not permanently), but that its awfully funny if you happen to do it.
Tu quoquo everywhere!