Seriously considering PT School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

amclough

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all. I am a graduate of a big 10 school with a degree in Mechanical Engineering Technology. The degree was tough but I came out with a great job. The only problem is I am not sure if it is what I really want to pursue. After doing research, and some serious thinking, it seems that PT is an extremely valid career that would truly be fulfilling.
One of my concerns is that upon graduating my gpa was a dismal 2.79. With my major being MET, there are a lot of classes that I would need to take for prereq's...listed below are what I am considering:
Chem 1, Chem 2, Bio, Anatomy, Physiology, Calc (got a C in Calc 1 but a B in Calc 2), Psychology, Stat (Stat I had to take will not qualify), Neuroscience, Medical Terminology, Exercise Physiolog and Pathophysiology.
Obviously that's a TON of additional classes I need to take but I am hoping once I start they can be completed within 2 years (have a full time job that I need to keep and having a 1 1/2 year old= not much free time). Doing some quick math, assuming good grades, I have the potential to bring the gpa to at or above a 3.0.

With all that being said, I just want to get your guys' opinion of how realistic of a dream this is and if it's worth pursuing. I don't want to give up but am looking to get some great opinions from all the years of experience on this board.

PS, I currently live in Ohio, and, since I have a child, my ability to relocate is somewhat difficult. Obvious choice would be Ohio State but looking at their webpage it states that the average gpa of accepted students is ~3.6. Anyways, just looking for some helpful advice.

Members don't see this ad.

I say go for it. I just started classes last week, and there are plenty of people with a non-traditional background (came from another country, worked for 5 years in a different field, etc.).

Does OSU require pathophysiology, neuroscience, and exercise phys? Those are pretty specialized prerequisites...most schools don't require them. You might be able to get away without taking those, unless the schools you want to go to demand them. The chemistry, bio, A&P, stats, and psych are pretty much standard amongst the PT school admissions requirements.

Have you shadowed at a PT clinic at all? You'll want to get a variety of PT observation experience, both to make sure it's the career you want to pursue and because PT schools usually require a certain number of hours.

I say go for it. I just started classes last week, and there are plenty of people with a non-traditional background (came from another country, worked for 5 years in a different field, etc.).

Does OSU require pathophysiology, neuroscience, and exercise phys? Those are pretty specialized prerequisites...most schools don't require them. You might be able to get away without taking those, unless the schools you want to go to demand them. The chemistry, bio, A&P, stats, and psych are pretty much standard amongst the PT school admissions requirements.

Have you shadowed at a PT clinic at all? You'll want to get a variety of PT observation experience, both to make sure it's the career you want to pursue and because PT schools usually require a certain number of hours.

OSU does require exercise phys as well as a secondary phsychology (intro to life span, critical phases in life or Life Span Human Development). I was just noting the req's of pretty much all Ohio school's combined into one list.
I do not have any volunteer hours and am going to contact local hospitals to see if they have any open spots where I could possibly start off with just a few hours a week. It'd be great to get some clinic as well as acute experience.
Thanks again and appreciate/welcome all feedback.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would definitely suggest getting some volunteer hours at a couple different settings before you commit yourself to another couple years of pre reqs. Make sure you enjoy PT and what it entails. If you find that it's for you, go for it!

The area I'm from typically has a lot of married students, some with families. A few of my classmates are in their 30's...anywhere up to 5 kids. They are happy in the program and making it work. I think expressing your situation and desire to stay close to home for the sake of your child is an aspect a school would really take note of. So, when you get to that point in your application process, make sure that your essays or personal statement emphasize your desire to stay in state. Good luck with everything!

The degree was tough but I came out with a great job. The only problem is I am not sure if it is what I really want to pursue.

To me a great job would be one that I could see myself in for many years down the road. Perhaps that isn't how you would define it. I would ask yourself what characteristics you would consider a great job to have, and see if your current job has those. Also, does physical therapy have those characteristics?

Also, you're right. Your GPA needs some pretty serious work. While some programs let those students with GPAs around 3.0 into their program, I don't think that OSU is typically one of them. Certainly there are exceptions, but commiting so much time and effort just to get yourself a slim chance at exceptance may not be worth it to you in the grand scheme of things.

Additionally I'm not sure what the salary is for MET, but the salary for PT is typically less than most people think. While you can live comfortably on a PT salary, you're probably not going to be living luxuriously on that salary either. Also, you're going to incur some additional debt by obtaining a DPT that will likely decrease your disposable income. Financially, going to grad school for PT may not be wise. This will, or course, depend on your current financial situation.

So, long story short, I'd think long and hard about leaving a job that I described as "great" for a chance at pursuing a career that likely makes less money than you think.

hello fellow ohioan! unfortunately, i know some people in the PT program at OSU and your gpa would need some real work. i also would suggest getting some real experience with the field. i LOVE pt and would recommend it to anyone but it is a lot of work and commitment. most of the pre=reqs are very time consuming. if it's what you want go for it but def. make sure it is indeed what you want.