seriously need some advice...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

heyhey20

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey guys!

I hope everyone's admission process is going well! I was just wondering if you guys could help me out...I recently graduated with a B.S. in biological sciences and I plan on applying for the next cycle. However, my undergrad cum. gpa is REALLY low (2.5 ish). I am a California resident, however I know with this gpa my chances are really low, but I was wondering if taking the PCAT and doing well would offset this gpa for out of state schools. Has anyone had any personal experience with a low gpa/high pcat? Any advice would be really appreciated. I'm in the post-graduated, endlessly weighing my options phase...

THANKS EVERYONE!!

Members don't see this ad.

The best thing to do is to make an all out full effort. A high pcat definitely won't hurt the process. Apply early, hope for an interview...and when you get the interview do your best to represent yourself. Odds are you'll get waitlisted (early apps seem to give a higher chance for interviews, but a higher chance at getting waitlisted too...). After getting waitlisted...keep in touch and do everything you can to show interest.

No one on this forum is going to be able to predict what's going to happen. Be persistent...if this is what you want...go for it until you can tell a story of perseverance to everyone else who posts for encouragement.

Your GPA might be too low because schools have minimum GPA requirements. I think most of them are higher than your GPA, but do some research. You could always retake classes to at least get your GPA up to the min. A high PCAT definitely helps and people do get in with low GPAs.

Members don't see this ad :)
My GPA is 2.62 cumulative(really bad), from a bad start to university. However the last 2+ years have shown a very respectable 3.4-3.5 trend, with this semester being 3.75 :). I have a 91st (1st time) and 84th (2nd time cause the scores were "older") overall on PCAT. If your GPA is low because you screwed up early, look for schools that have grade forgiveness policies. If it is consistently B's & C's, you have a difficult road ahead. And apply early!

hey i need some help finding out what to do.
i am just so lost. i want to be a pharmacist but first i need to get into pharmacy school. so heres my break down.
physics 1- c
physics 2- c
microbio- c
cellbio&physiology- c-
genchem 1-b
genchem 2-c
orgo 1- b
orgo 2- n/a
speech 1- a
speech 8- a
bio 1- a
eng 1- c
eng 2- b
hist- b
philosophy- b
calc 1- c
macro econ- a
micro econ - b
HA-film- a
business stat- b
edhd3-b
knes-a
edhd4- a
so 82 credits and GPA is 2.65ish :mad:

yea....so should i give up on life?
how does it look like
my university doesnt have a pre-pharm program. i have not declared an undergrad (open to anything that will raise my gpa for real)

i am in the MD/DC/VA tri-state area.
any chances? what to do?

Retake classes that are pre-reqs that you got C's in. You HAVE to bump your GPA up big time. I think 99% of pharmacy schools require at minimum a 2.75 to be considered. Meaning they won't even look at your PCAT or anything else unless you at least meet that requirement.

you guys realize that even if you do get accepted, pharmacy school just gets harder. So what im' saying is, you really should have gotten A's on the gen chems and then started with the B's. Otherwise, how will you make it through biochemistry and the 2nd year of hell which i've heard about.

i am just so lost. i want to be a pharmacist but first i need to get into pharmacy school. so heres my break down.
physics 1- c
physics 2- c
microbio- c Retake
cellbio&physiology- c-
genchem 1-b
genchem 2-c
orgo 1- b
orgo 2- n/a
speech 1- a
speech 8- a
bio 1- a
eng 1- c
eng 2- b
hist- b
philosophy- b
calc 1- c
macro econ- a
micro econ - b
HA-film- a
business stat- b
edhd3-b
knes-a
edhd4- a

how does it look like
my university doesnt have a pre-pharm program. i have not declared an undergrad (open to anything that will raise my gpa for real)

any chances? what to do?

Physics 1&2, Microbio, Cellbio&physio (absolutely and positively on the latter) need to be re-taken. Also, Orgo 2 not applicable? Somebody lied to you. I have never seen a school not require 3 quarters/ 2 semesters of organic chemistry accompanied by a laboratory component. In addition to retaking these, you need to show some effort and get some A's son. 6 A's isn't going to get you into any kind of graduate program let alone a professional pharmacy institution. Consider this your intervention, bust some ass.

physics 1- c
physics 2- c
microbio- c
cellbio&physiology- c-
genchem 1-b
genchem 2-c
orgo 1- b
orgo 2- n/a
speech 1- a
speech 8- a
bio 1- a
eng 1- c
eng 2- b
hist- b
philosophy- b
calc 1- c
macro econ- a
micro econ - b
HA-film- a
business stat- b
edhd3-b
knes-a
edhd4- a

how does it look like

any chances? what to do?

Definitely do not give up. From your stats I´m thinking that there´s something in between that you did not mentioned why you got C´s one possibility is that you overloaded yourself with units while working fulltime/half time + plus some family issues that is very distracting or you really didn´t realize till later that you need A´s than just passing (something like that). The physics you´ve taken is probably calculus based...but since you started with this class you have the choice of repeating this physics calc based or just take the regular one (algebra based). Oh yeah I suggest you repeat classes with C that are pre-requisites for pharmacy such as the general chem but make sure you learn the foundation (not just getting an A). Anyway, Ace your o-chem and your biology pre-req (is that the cell& physiology, if it is repeat i guess). Yeah, take some PE classes to release stress ( I heard someone told me it can boost up gpa, but not the science lol.)

I know that sometimes it´s not all about grades but maybe from admissions point of view your grades may mean how mcuh you have strong understanding of the basics. You must have good foundation of the basic classes (the pre-requisites) or else you might have hard time with upper division classes. Lastly, it´s definitely possible to boost up your gpa ( 3-4 sems or quarter of A´s maybe or until your graduation). Also, when you apply you get to explain them why you got these grades anyway. Goodluck.