Seriously now, a "K"?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

imdavid28

Enginerd
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got my scores MCAT scores back today and got a PS 10, VR 8, BS 12 and a K on my writing sample. The AdComs are going to think I'm illiterate! Bah!

Oh well, at least you know one person that you beat on the writing sample.. ;)

Members don't see this ad.

You must have really choked. I'd give your original post at least an M or N.

VR 8 + WS K + engineer = doubts about communication skills.

If you haven't submitted your AMCAS yet, make sure your PS is perfect. Double, triple check your secondaries, and make sure you nail those interviews (I know, easier said than done).

Members don't see this ad :)
I got an L the first time I took the MCAT. My writing didn't change much and I got an O the second time. Given my luck, I will probably have to take the MCAT a third time and will get an L. Spelling out L-O-L. :)

I got my scores MCAT scores back today and got a PS 10, VR 8, BS 12 and a K on my writing sample. The AdComs are going to think I'm illiterate! Bah!

And here I am thinking that "L" was the lowest possible writing sample score... (I kid)

I was worried about my terrible writing score too, but here is an excerpt of an email from my pre-med advisor on the subject.

"Second, don’t sweat the writing score. The dean of admissions at X-School told me that unlike the numerical scores which actually correlate to something useful in medical school, the writing score doesn’t correlate to anything – it’s not a predictor of anything. He mentioned they don’t look at that letter score. I’ve heard something very similar from Y-School. I suggest you not worry about that Z. "
-My awesome advisor.

I am not sure if he would have said the same thing if I received a K, but I hope this is a little reassuring. What percent of people recieve a K (something like 10% or so???)?

The adcomm at a school I am familiar with does not even know how the writing sample is scored.

I was worried about my terrible writing score too, but here is an excerpt of an email from my pre-med advisor on the subject.

"Second, don’t sweat the writing score. The dean of admissions at X-School told me that unlike the numerical scores which actually correlate to something useful in medical school, the writing score doesn’t correlate to anything – it’s not a predictor of anything. He mentioned they don’t look at that letter score. I’ve heard something very similar from Y-School. I suggest you not worry about that Z. "
-My awesome advisor.

I am not sure if he would have said the same thing if I received a K, but I hope this is a little reassuring. What percent of people recieve a K (something like 10% or so???)?

Most pre-med advisors I've talked to or heard about knew very little about the admissions process... If you want real answers, call med schools anonymously or ask med students/doctors who have been through it.

By the way, thanks for the advice / info / humor people! :oops:)

Members don't see this ad :)
perhaps you could pursue a less writing intensive career? You are going to have to write alot so you better start practicing writing or rethink about medicine.

perhaps you could pursue a less writing intensive career? You are going to have to write alot so you better start practicing writing or rethink about medicine.

The OPs writing APPEARS clear enough. OP did you write on the right topic (???)

The graders must have been stoned

The OPs writing APPEARS clear enough. OP did you write on the right topic (???)

Yeah, but for the most part, I just blanked out and couldn't think of anything insightful to put on there.

I'm from a engineering background, so I had never written an essay of the MCAT style until, well, the day of the test (knew I should have done that ahead of time!)

While the score is a bit disheartening, I am not entirely convinced I should up and consider another field because I am capable of producing respectable lab reports (usually graded highest in the class.) I imagine dictating is closer to something of that nature than of writing about how "The object of education should be to teach skills, not values.”

I'm thinking maybe I should take some non-technical writing courses, get some tutoring, retake the test, and wait to apply in the next go-around. That and pick up a marijuana habit so I can think on the same wavelengths of the graders* ;)

Question is: when you walked out of the test, did you actually think you did decently on it?

I mean your writing samples are graded on a scale of 1 to 6. A score of K means you got a 1 and a 2... maybe you blanked out on one of them, but it seems like you completely flopped on both. Now, if you left the answer space completely blank, then yeah I'm not surprised. But if you actually wrote a relatively full and coherent essay (in English of course), then holy crap a K is freaking harsh!

I felt good about the BS and PS sections.

The VR I had to guess on an entire passage because of time, so I didn't expect to do as well on that.

And the WS, I blanked out on both. It wasn't very coherent because I couldn't think of anything to write. It was pretty much about the lenth of my replies on here times two.

I felt good about the BS and PS sections.

The VR I had to guess on an entire passage because of time, so I didn't expect to do as well on that.

And the WS, I blanked out on both. It wasn't very coherent because I couldn't think of anything to write. It was pretty much about the lenth of my replies on here times two.

Umm this reply of yours is 5 sentences, so I'm not surprised that you got a K if for each essay you only wrote 10 sentences, and didn't have coherence. You should probably retake the test, a 8 verbal and a K writing does not look well.

Umm this reply of yours is 5 sentences, so I'm not surprised that you got a K if for each essay you only wrote 10 sentences, and didn't have coherence. You should probably retake the test, a 8 verbal and a K writing does not look well.
i think i agree. i know people say writing doesn't matter, but a K and an 8 will not look good.

I got an L the first time I took the MCAT. My writing didn't change much and I got an O the second time. Given my luck, I will probably have to take the MCAT a third time and will get an L. Spelling out L-O-L. :)

:laugh:

Er...? Even if you're having trouble coming up with examples, a fluffed up paraphrase and conclusion would be longer than that.

:scared: I hope this was hyperbole (throwing out a writing term for you folks :D)

The ws is the most bs section of the test.

Agreed. I went from an S to an N. An S to an N? An S to an N?? Maybe I decided to retroactively change my native tongue to something that doesn't represent itself well on paper or LCD... maybe a click language...

The graders must have been stoned

Actually at least one of the graders for the writing section is a machine (according to Princeton Review and Kaplan test prep sources). Not sure if machines can blaze a j....

...but who knows?

Actually at least one of the graders for the writing section is a machine (according to Princeton Review and Kaplan test prep sources). Not sure if machines can blaze a j....

...but who knows?

I'm sure they're currently working on this.

That reminds me of a story from one of my friends who interviewed and was asked why he got a "zero" on the writing sample. :laugh:
lol I wish adcomms (correction: the computers that screen applicants without a human even touching your application) in my country were this ignorant of the WS....one of my top choices had R as their WS cutoff for interviews last year. Pretty sad a Q will possibly doom me.

Last edited:

I don't understand your post.

Ha ha ha, j/k ... its very intelligble.

can you share what your essay was about, that is a most rare score, i am impressed ...

seriously, i hope that doesnt hurt your app. would be a bummer to put in all that hard work and have it messed up by a 30 minute writing exercise on the proper colour for bike tires or whatever ... hope you have a good pre-med advisor who can tell you if it matters or not ...

lol at this guy giving you writing advice after he typed this.

lol at this guy giving you writing advice after he typed this.

The letter K, being a two-dimensional and non-tangible representation of a sound, would probably have difficulty looking at much of anything.

Of course that sentence makes sense...:thumbup::laugh:

Getting a low score means you didn't follow the directions.

Even if you write a good essay, you can score poorly if you don't complete the tasks.

If you accomplish all 3 tasks for both writing samples, you should get a P... even if you write poorly.

Agreed. I went from an S to an N. An S to an N? An S to an N?? Maybe I decided to retroactively change my native tongue to something that doesn't represent itself well on paper or LCD... maybe a click language...

Totally off-topic, but every time I read your posts I think/hope you're a guy cause I'd date you if you were. I know you're not, and that makes me a little sad.

My advice to you would be to apply broadly with what you have here. Yes, your VR score is low and your writing score is very low but you are likely to receive some interviews anyway. If you interview better than you write, you are likely to gain admission. I would strongly advise against repeating the MCAT unless you are not successful in getting into medical school anywhere with broad application. That VR score is easier to explain that a poor score in BS and PS. If the rest of your application is competitive (uGPA, ECs, LORs and PS), you should get some interviews and an acceptance.

Someone (MCAT prep teacher I think) told me that the main purpose of the WS is to mentally drain you before the biology section. Has anyone heard this?

Someone (MCAT prep teacher I think) told me that the main purpose of the WS is to mentally drain you before the biology section. Has anyone heard this?

I doubt that was its originally intended main purpose, but that's basically what it does. I used to joke about this with my friends.

Unless you're Canadian. I hear those schools are crazy about the WS. Not that it helps me any, since I'm not applying to any of them.

Its true, in Ontario they are. There are even writing sample cutoffs, it's crazy. Luckily I practiced for, and did well on the WS. My 11 in verbal is probably right on the border of the Ontario VR cutoff. If the cutoff was say a 12 in VR in the coming year, I would be immediately disqualified.

Its true, in Ontario they are. There are even writing sample cutoffs, it's crazy. Luckily I practiced for, and did well on the WS. My 11 in verbal is probably right on the border of the Ontario VR cutoff. If the cutoff was say a 12 in VR in the coming year, I would be immediately disqualified.
Hey, I wouldn't mind of some American schools had the same policy. ;)

Er...? Even if you're having trouble coming up with examples, a fluffed up paraphrase and conclusion would be longer than that.

Yeah, even without concrete examples, you could just throw in hypotheticals and argue your azz off.

I like the writing section. You just present an argument, dont have to remember anything for that.

The letter K, being a two-dimensional and non-tangible representation of a sound, would probably have difficulty looking at much of anything.

Of course that sentence makes sense...:thumbup::laugh:

You shouldn't be mocking anyone for their writing or language skill if you believe "non-tangible" is correct manipulation of the word "tangible". (Should be "intangible".)

Owned?

Last edited: