Seriously, now

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Toejam

Terminal Student
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
How on God's green earth can I get an "S" on my essay and a 6 on my verbal? Plus, I swear that I felt like I BREEZED through that verbal section! I read every stinking passage and literally felt trouble on about 4 or 5 questions!!!!! I'm truly beside myself! I was not worried IN THE LEAST about the verbal part. NOT AT ALL!!! Please, someone talk some sense into me!

Members don't see this ad.

You know from reading various posts on sdn it seems like a lot of folks did not do as well on the verbal section. Maybe (hey you never know) there is some error, if you did extremely well on the other sections can you not request that your test be graded again? I am sure that for a small fee (he he) it can be done..

I know how you guys feel. I finished verbal with 10 minutes to spare and I was even able to go back and recheck answers. I was scoring consistently around 11-14 on my practice tests and got a 7 on the real thing.

Is is possible they made a mistake. I am actually gonna ask for my test to be regraded. I hope this is possible.

Members don't see this ad :)
my friend was scoring 10's on the verbal, and got a 5. I really think something got screwed up. You never now, maybe we'll be getting an announcement soon about aamc's mistake!

I got a 10 and as expecting like a 12, so I think the actual MCAT is scaled much steeper than the Kaplan & other review tests.

This is probably because everyone does fairly good on verbal, so they have to scale it tough/steep, resulting in what seems to be lower scores than expected.

On some of the practice tests the difference between the high scores on verbal were only like 2 correct answers. I was getting 10-12 range on Kaplan and AAMC. I somehow got a 13 this time. It seems to me that luck plays a significant role when the scaled scores are only separated by slim point margins.

Maybe you got unlucky and they screwed up your verbal score on the website. Who knows, might as well wait for it to come in the mail to confirm.

•••quote:•••Originally posted by Doctor Octopus:
•On some of the practice tests the difference between the high scores on verbal were only like 2 correct answers. I was getting 10-12 range on Kaplan and AAMC. I somehow got a 13 this time. It seems to me that luck plays a significant role when the scaled scores are only separated by slim point margins.•••••Yup. This is why most schools treat an "11" on par with a "13" in VR.

[The same isn't necessarily true for sciences, though, since the point spread is better.]

•••quote:••• Yup. This is why most schools treat an "11" on par with a "13" in VR.••••So a "8" on the VR is a "11" at most schools?

:D