Should I study now

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ellatha

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I’m starting a Masters program in September and won’t be done until early 2022

Should I begin studying for and take the MCAT now or wait until I’m done with the program?

Members don't see this ad.

It wouldn’t hurt to start reviewing contents now if you’re planning to take the exam next year. Also, it’s not impossible to study for the MCAT while in school or full-time employment (that was me). Regardless, you should never take the mcat if you feel unprepared.

Hey all,

I’m starting a Masters program in September and won’t be done until early 2022

Should I begin studying for and take the MCAT now or wait until I’m done with the program?
depends how warm you are from your science classes and what foundation you have. It might not be a bad idea to take a practice exam and see. If you are a task or where you could see yourself adding some points over the summer and taking it, it might be best just to do it over the summer. Otherwise, no way.

That being said, what are you doing your Masters in? If it's a biomedical science type masters, that it might be a good idea to just study lightly as you go through the master's program and then take it at the end.

David D MD - USMLE and MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors

Scores are only good for 3 years, and some schools will say something like "No scores later than January 1, 20xx." So even if you take the MCAT in September 2020, schools might still say that your score will be invalid to them after January 1, 2023 rather than September x, 2023. It's something to keep in mind.

With that said, you could still apply to medical school while in your master's program, which can help you get an application in before your score comes very close to expiration. Schools will expect you to finish the master's program by the start of classes, though.

I suppose you have to ask yourself if you would have nothing to do over the summer before the master's program starts. It wouldn't hurt to have it done while you have no other major obligations that way you don't have to worry about juggling the MCAT prep and the master's at the same time. It's more efficient use of your time. Now, if you aren't getting your target score by September 2020, delay that MCAT and just do a little bit of MCAT prep each day while in your master's (but not at the risk of doing poorly) until those MCAT practice scores get close to target.

Members don't see this ad :)
I had review books open side-by-side with my textbook when I took orgo and physics, and found it very helpful. I was exactly studying for the MCAT, but it helped to get the material down conceptually. I actually found my MCAT books to be better than my textbook at conveying the material.

However, when it comes to actually studying, you should wait until around six months before your test date to go at it hardcore.

People actually study 6 months for MCAT? I am assuming that is with school/job, because it seems excessive for just pure studying 10 hours a day. All of the popular MCAT schedules I've seen on here are 3-4 months, no other commitments. You'd burn out if you studied 1500+ hours for MCAT exam. Really, 600-1000 hours is more than enough for that exam.

When you study for Step 1 in medical school, you will only have 6-8 weeks. Step 1 is way more material than the MCAT. FA is 700-800 pages of condensed notes, mostly stuff like charts, compared to MCAT prep books which are more like miniature textbooks.

If you don't learn to manage your time when preparing for MCAT, Step 1 will have a steeper learning curve for you. If you think the MCAT is difficult, wait until you see USMLE Step 1.

Last edited: