Seriously what should I do about transcripts

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

badasshairday

Vascular and Interventional Radiology
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm sort of in a dilemma because I just don't know what to do. I most likely want to have my spring semester grades on my transcript so I could send them to AAMC. However, my semester does not end until May 18 and I don't know how long it will take to get the exams graded and final grades posted onto my transcript.

I want to submit my application early, but if I just do the transcript verification now i will be missing this semesters grades.

Members don't see this ad.

So I'm sort of in a dilemma because I just don't know what to do. I most likely want to have my spring semester grades on my transcript so I could send them to AAMC. However, my semester does not end until May 18 and I don't know how long it will take to get the exams graded and final grades posted onto my transcript.

I want to submit my application early, but if I just do the transcript verification now i will be missing this semesters grades.

I don't think you have a problem. The semester ends May 18 which gives you another 22 days before you can submit AMCAS and the schools don't even look at the apps until early July, I think.

If you're still worried though, you first need to consider how much your GPA will change by including Spring semester. If it'll change a lot, I'd wait since it's up to the schools on whether or not they'll go through the hassle of recalculating your GPA after you update them. If it won't change much, I'd just send in your transcript without the last semester.

As a UCD student, my quarter won't even end until mid-June so I say don't worry.

Ask your profs about the grading timeframe. I know ours had like 2 weeks to do it, which should be ok, since you could have your transcript requested right about June 3rd and only miss like a week's worth of time.

Also, if you are graduating this spring, the marks will probably come within a few days. At my school's registrar, the profs had to grade the seniors' work first in order to have the diplomas ready by the time of the graduation ceremony.

Members don't see this ad :)
You'll be fine. Submit everything as early as possible. Submit the transcript request form but tell your registrar to wait until Spring Semester grades are ready. Even if it all comes together around the first week of June, you will probably still be one of the first. Seriously.

The reality of submitting your application early is that it will just sit there doing nothing.... getting it in by like sometime in July is still really early. At my undergrad we could fill out a transcript request form that allowed us to check a box telling them to send it right when the grades for the current grading period were posted. If you can do that, that's probably about as fast as you can make the process go.

You'll be fine. Submit everything as early as possible. Submit the transcript request form but tell your registrar to wait until Spring Semester grades are ready. Even if it all comes together around the first week of June, you will probably still be one of the first. Seriously.

ditto

It's common for schools to have a form where you can check to hold until the semester's grades are out before it will get sent out to where ever you like. Go talk to your registrar.

The reality of submitting your application early is that it will just sit there doing nothing.... getting it in by like sometime in July is still really early. At my undergrad we could fill out a transcript request form that allowed us to check a box telling them to send it right when the grades for the current grading period were posted. If you can do that, that's probably about as fast as you can make the process go.

True. There is no tangible difference when you are talking about 20 days. Especially this early. They won't even see your applications yet.

My spring grades wont be ready until the end of June. I really don't know how much they will change my GPA or in what direction...Should I bother waiting?

My spring grades wont be ready until the end of June. I really don't know how much they will change my GPA or in what direction...Should I bother waiting?

You could aways apply now. And send in an update letter to your school when the grades come back.

You could aways apply now. And send in an update letter to your school when the grades come back.

So if they grades are good they could be added and if they are bad I could choose not to update my transcripts???

Oh, and on another thread someone said it was a really bad idea to send two sets of transcripts in....and that its just better to wait and send the most updated ones a little later???? ANYBODY SECOND THAT OPINION?

stop freaking out, it will be ok :)

not everyone who's ever been accepted had their applications ready on June 1

thanks....i probably do need a paper bag or something right about now...It just sort of hit me that its all about to start. I remember reading these forums earlier this year thinking it was so long till I would be in that situation and now its actually here!

thanks....i probably do need a paper bag or something right about now...It just sort of hit me that its all about to start. I remember reading these forums earlier this year thinking it was so long till I would be in that situation and now its actually here!
it's a marathon, not a sprint. don't burn out too quickly. the fun hasn't even begun yet.

So if they grades are good they could be added and if they are bad I could choose not to update my transcripts???

Oh, and on another thread someone said it was a really bad idea to send two sets of transcripts in....and that its just better to wait and send the most updated ones a little later???? ANYBODY SECOND THAT OPINION?
Yes, you can go that route. The potential problem lies in the fact that you need to update each school individually and even then, it's up to each school whether or not they'll recalculate your GPA. That's why if your GPA will increase with the new grades, it's best to wait before sending in transcripts to ensure that your GPA will include those grades.

If you are complete by July, you are in good shape. I applied on the first day and didn't get secondaries until the first week of July (and those were the automatic secondaries). Secondaries from screening schools came at least a week later.

AMCAS doesn't release applications until like July 1. Be complete by then, and you will be in the first pack of secondaries offered.

Good luck!