Seriously - Where ARE the jobs, and why all Recruiters?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bulgethetwine

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For all I hear about the EM specialty being lucrative with jobs and opportunities, blah blah blah I sure am disappointed at the number of jobs available -- and it seems like the vast majority of jobs are recruiters! Don't private groups recruit anymore themselves? Don't f*^%ing hospitals? I haven't found too many appetizing offers and opportunities in big metro centers... they all want to stick us in sub-Level II positions in the rural sticks. Don't know about you, but I don't plan on de-skilling rapidly after residency.

Members don't see this ad.

For all I hear about the EM specialty being lucrative with jobs and opportunities, blah blah blah I sure am disappointed at the number of jobs available -- and it seems like the vast majority of jobs are recruiters! Don't private groups recruit anymore themselves? Don't f*^%ing hospitals? I haven't found too many appetizing offers and opportunities in big metro centers... they all want to stick us in sub-Level II positions in the rural sticks. Don't know about you, but I don't plan on de-skilling rapidly after residency.

I had NO trouble finding work. Just put together a introduction letter and send it to the department chairs of places you'd like to work. The response I got from this approach, in both academic and non-academic settings, was great. No muss, no fuss - great job secured after a plethora of interviews and lots of offers!

Short answer - who cares who is advertising, most places are always hiring qualified folks!

- H

I'm deliriously happy with my job, and it - essentially - fell into my lap. Believe me - I didn't dig for it.

Chill, young grasshopper - the yellow brick road is right in front of you, and you're just about to trip right onto it.

Members don't see this ad :)
I thought the best jobs were the ones that aren't advertised. Just because there are no ads doesn't mean there isn't a job opening. There are plenty of awesome jobs out there, you just have to be a little aggressive about it, from what I hear of course.

I know this was done some last yr but could the pgy-3/4s tell us where they got their jobs and roughly how much money / perks you got.