SES disadvantaged part of application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

riseNshine

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I didn't classify myself as disadvantaged because I thought this was only for applicants who had major life struggles/worked and contribute to family income, etc...

However, I was classified as SES E01 due to parent's education level and majority of family income from birth to 18...for applications such as irvine that have a disadvantaged portion, should I go ahead and claim disadvantaged status? how does this help/hinder the process

thank you

Members don't see this ad.

Only claim it if you feel you were, and it had an impact. They'll see the designation on your primary, and they understand the metric. Making a stretch to give a good backstory that isn't there isn't a good idea. There has been some talk about how it is helpful for admissions purposes for an applicant to be classified as SES disadvantaged, and also how you'll be viewed as higher risk by schools. Not sure what the verdict is.

I really wish there was some more hard data on the benefit of applying disadvantaged. I wonder if it secretly has an URM-like boost for the app.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
why would someone apply as disadvantaged if it makes you look risky? would it be to maybe explain why scores aren't so high?

Disadvantaged = higher likelihood for need-based $$$

in that case, schools would not be so inclined to view you favorably?

I remember hearing that schools get allocated certain amounts of money to provide services to disadvantaged applicants so they are actually interested in applicants who fall in this category

I did not declare SES disadvantage but I was nonetheless given the E-01 (highest disadvantaged) status because of my parents. I don't think it hurts. If anything it probably helps at many or most schools. So many schools stress how important it is they construct a diverse student body.

in that case, schools would not be so inclined to view you favorably?

I remember hearing that schools get allocated certain amounts of money to provide services to disadvantaged applicants so they are actually interested in applicants who fall in this category

Schools may or may not view you more favorably depending on who we're talking about, but they likely will not view you less favorably.

As far as financial aid goes, many schools do have allocated funds to give to lower SES matriculants. The government also allocates funds for Perkins Loans (they're lower interest) for this same demographic.