Set back in Biology major

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Turkishking

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
After a year I will be transferring to University at Buffalo. My major concern is that, I'm currently a Biology major, and I will have to take additional courses at University at Buffalo to declare myself as a Biology major. I will have to take 1) A two-semester course in general chemistry (CHE 101-CHE 102, or equivalent) plus a two-semester course in college calculus (MTH 121-MTH 122, MTH 141-MTH 142, or equivalent)
2) Two college-level biology courses (BIO 200 and BIO 201, or equivalent). This will set me back because I cannot enroll in these classes at my current university due to the fact that it goes from senior to freshman. My question is, would medical schools care if I finish in 5 years?
 
After a year I will be transferring to University at Buffalo. My major concern is that, I'm currently a Biology major, and I will have to take additional courses at University at Buffalo to declare myself as a Biology major. I will have to take 1) A two-semester course in general chemistry (CHE 101-CHE 102, or equivalent) plus a two-semester course in college calculus (MTH 121-MTH 122, MTH 141-MTH 142, or equivalent)
2) Two college-level biology courses (BIO 200 and BIO 201, or equivalent). This will set me back because I cannot enroll in these classes at my current university due to the fact that it goes from senior to freshman. My question is, would medical schools care if I finish in 5 years?

If that class gets filled up before you can sign up:

1) Talk to your advisor to add you to that class even if it is overloaded
2) Don't people get autodropped a few days before class for not paying tuition? Keep an eye out for this
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
C'mon man, are you serious right now.
I thought you guys said it doesn't matter. I want to maximize my chances of actually getting into any medical school. There are only 2 students yearly who go to medical school from my current university, which is really discouraging
 
I thought you guys said it doesn't matter. I want to maximize my chances of actually getting into any medical school. There are only 2 students yearly who go to medical school from my current university, which is really discouraging
I'm commenting on the fact that you've made like a billion threads about Buff St. vs UB.

Edit: I refuse to believe that only 2 people/year from SUNY Buffalo State, a school with almost 10,000 undergrads, get into a medical school.
 
I'm commenting on the fact that you've made like a billion threads about Buff St. vs UB.

I refuse to believe that only 2 people/year from SUNY Buffalo State get into a medical school.
I talked to the head of the science department, and asked her what percentage of students do. SHE SAID 2 or maybe 3.
 
I thought you guys said it doesn't matter. I want to maximize my chances of actually getting into any medical school. There are only 2 students yearly who go to medical school from my current university, which is really discouraging
It doesn't matter, which is why you should not transfer if it's going to make you take 5 years to graduate. Only even begin to consider the transfer if you have a way to keep on track with classes (like other posters mentioned, get professor or adviser to add you to the class, or call the other school and find out if you can take higher level classes as an alternative).


I talked to the head of the science department, and asked her what percentage of students do. SHE SAID 2 or maybe 3.
2 or 3 percent?

Edit: I refuse to believe that only 2 people/year from SUNY Buffalo State, a school with almost 10,000 undergrads, get into a medical school.


All I can tell you for sure is that they produce less than 100 white or 50 Asian applicants. The only SUNY that showed up in my chart was SUNY Stony Brook
 
Considering the national average is 45% and many good schools push 70-80%, 2-3 would be abysmally bad. Hence my disbelief.
 
Considering the national average is 45% and many good schools push 70-80%, 2-3 would be abysmally bad. Hence my disbelief.
Yeah 2-3 would be insanely low, but a few dozen would be believable and in such a huge class both are going to feel negligibly rare
 
Considering the national average is 45% and many good schools push 70-80%, 2-3 would be abysmally bad. Hence my disbelief.
I talked to the head of the science department myself, she said 2 or 3 students. I'm not sure how I can change your mind, but it's the truth.
 
I talked to the head of the science department myself, she said 2 or 3 students. I'm not sure how I can change your mind, but it's the truth.
Honestly, she probably has no idea though. Prehealth advising is notoriously garbage, let alone a science prof even if they are high up in their department
 
Honestly, she probably has no idea though. Prehealth advising is notoriously garbage, let alone a science prof even if they are high up in their department

"Hi Mehmet. Preparation for and application to medical school is a rigorous Endeavor. Many first year students identify themselves as pursuing a health profession, but a significantly lower number complete all pre-requisites and actually sit for the MCAT. Having said that, our students who complete the entire application process have a very high rate of admission."

I emailed them

And she told me 2 kids.... lol
 
"Hi Mehmet. Preparation for and application to medical school is a rigorous Endeavor. Many first year students identify themselves as pursuing a health profession, but a significantly lower number complete all pre-requisites and actually sit for the MCAT. Having said that, our students who complete the entire application process have a very high rate of admission."

I emailed them

And she told me 2 kids.... lol
That leads me to believe it's not 2 acceptances, unless she can say with a straight face that out of 10k undergrads, 3 kids applied to medical school.