Setting A Goal..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ts1991

UKCOM 2018
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, my apologies for the rapid posts after that last MCAT score release but this will be my last thread for a while (I panicked) . I took the test and got a 27 (9/7/11)..I realize that's not acceptable for MD so I am retaking in Jan. For whatever reason, my scores are very inconsistent, my overall average on all the practice AAMC (I actually took all) was a 30. I've scored anywhere from a 27 to a 33 on them, but my scores themselves (other than bio) vary from like 7-13. I suppose I just have obvious holes in my knowledge that get exploited sometimes. I'm working on that with this exam krackers set. Anywho, my GPA is a 3.8 and may be a 3.9 when I apply. If I can manage to raise 2 points to a 29 (balanced ideally), do you think with a 3.9 gpa and a 29 I'd have a decent shot at some non selective MD schools? My extracurriculars: shadowing primary care doctor/radiologist (over 100 hours), hospital volunteering (about 50 hours or so), some miscellaneous community service (about 20 hrs), and hopefully a summer research program (I've already got about 50 hours in a research lab but nothing published). I suppose I could also list dean's list for every semester, but that's sort of obvious. I have a merit scholarship but I hear it's pointless to include those. Any ideas on beefing my application, and do you think a 29 with a 3.9 would be competitive? Not looking at anywhere with over an average MCAT of 31, mostly 29/30 schools.

Members don't see this ad.

Given you get a somewhat balanced MCAT score, I think you definitely have a shot at many low-mid tier schools. Your extracurriculars seem pretty typical of many other applicants--not necessarily a good or bad thing, just an observation. I think if you have some significant leadership, that would probably help. Also, getting involved in activities that you're actually passionate about and that mean something to you is always good, especially if they're long term. Maybe you could do some sort of community service for a group/cause that you really care about. That way, you could add both at the same time. I've never heard about not mentioning Dean's List or merit scholarships on your app..I included whatever recognitions I got, but maybe that's just me.

So yea, community service, strong leadership, and meaningful activities. i think if you try to beef up these areas, you'll have a great shot at many schools. Good luck!

Thanks for your input! I'll definitely include deans list and merit scholarship then. Also, I forgot to mention I actually work as a landlord and tutor some freshmen science majors at a study group. Would you consider being a landlord a leadership experience? I basically was in charge of starting up these new apartments for a guy I know (owner of the building), I had to take charge of expenses and everything. Now that I have 5 freshmen living with me (I'm a junior), I basically feel like I am parenting them at times...I wish there was some way to explain the amount of leadership I have to have just to keep these kids in class, and from destroying the building lol. I would almost consider myself their resident advisor or life coach instead of landlord....Anywho. I'd like to find a way to fit that into my application as well!

Members don't see this ad :)
Umm well I didn't originally picture being a landlord as some sort of "significant" leadership, but maybe that's just me. But if you have all the responsibilities that you say you do--that it's pretty much being an RA--then I'd definitely include it. Maybe you could mention something about giving them academic, extracurricular, and personal support and guidance? Something like that maybe? You'll definitely have to play with the wording a bit..The tutoring is also great, especially if it's something you've been doing for a long time!

Yea, I've been pondering how to put that on there in a meaningful way..it's like I have leadership experience but no way to put it in words efficiently. Maybe if I put RA instead of landlord... I hear they really like leadership experience and I'm struggling to find anything else I could put.