Question about non-clinical setting patient interaction

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Eris1357

Reaction score
Hello everyone, a club that I volunteer at fulfills the wishes of terminally ill patients, and I was wondering how that would be counted. So far, we have done a lot of house-cleaning for patients, with some other activities on the side (such as Christmas parties for them and their children). The house-cleaning experience was especially a very eye-opening experience, seeing individuals in such a difficult state and being able to help them was very rewarding, and I ended up being in charge of this task. I have devoted a lot of time to this club, so my questions are as follows:

Would this club be clinical or non-clinical volunteering?
Do hours spent outside of directly working (i.e. planning and organization) count towards hours?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hello everyone, a club that I volunteer at fulfills the wishes of terminally ill patients, and I was wondering how that would be counted. So far, we have done a lot of house-cleaning for patients, with some other activities on the side (such as Christmas parties for them and their children). The house-cleaning experience was especially a very eye-opening experience, seeing individuals in such a difficult state and being able to help them was very rewarding, and I ended up being in charge of this task. I have devoted a lot of time to this club, so my questions are as follows:

Do hours spent outside of directly working (i.e. planning and organization) count towards hours?

What training did you get?

It's nonclinical unless you have specific certification or clinical training like administering vitals and bathing IMO.

• Wow
Reactions: 2 users
What training did you get?

It's nonclinical unless you have specific clinical training like administering vitals and medical IMO.

We never got training, we just partnered with a hospice center and visited patients. That's sad to hear but at least it'll be volunteering😭

Members don't see this ad :)
What's stopping you from getting a certification so you could do more that would count as clinical?
The main thing is that it's my senior year in an OOS college and about to be my last semester (yeah... bad planning on my part), so I don't see much of a point now. Perhaps it would be worth it more to do some scribing training online first for when I graduate and am in my gap year? I'm also applying for other volunteering at the same time, including a position at a VA hospital.

It’s non-clinical volunteering. Planning and prep hours can be counted.

Non-clinical.

Reactions: 1 user
It's non-clinical. Not that there's anything wrong with that. All the hours count.

They are people living in their own homes. You are helping with household tasks. They are terminally ill but they aren't, for the purposes of your visit, "patients".

Last edited: