Setting up away rotations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vtucci

Attending in Emergency Medicine
Moderator Emeritus
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all.

I was wondering when most of you started setting up your away rotations. I understand a lot of students start doing this in the winter of their third year. Is that correct? Any programs that you know of which should be done earlier than this for the following summer's rotation?

Thanks,

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all.

I was wondering when most of you started setting up your away rotations. I understand a lot of students start doing this in the winter of their third year. Is that correct? Any programs that you know of which should be done earlier than this for the following summer's rotation?

Thanks,

Yes, please tell us third years when is too early/too late to set up aways (especially those with no home program).

Someone told me you should call after match day of the year you want to rotate. I sent in my app in January for a September rotation.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think it depends on where you want to go. If it is a "competitive" program (whatever that means), then you need to get on the ball pretty early. I know Denver was one of the earliest I found (start accepting apps in January)...so I applied in Jan for a july rotation. The other one I set up like 4 weeks before I started. You can always call the top 5-7 programs you'd like to rotate at and ask the coordiator when they start accepting apps and any weird guidelines they have (background checks/malpractive specifics).
Remember that ERAS opens July 1, and deans letter (therefore most invites) go out around oct 1 (or is it nov 1?). So you want to rotate between those months.
good luck, it's a streeful time,
streetdoc

1. Figure out 4-5 places you might like to rotate based on geography, program type, competitiveness etc.

2. Call them in early January. The WORST thing they can say to you is "we're not taking applications until ..."

3. As you are readying apps, you might even get in contact with the clerkship director. Ask if they can pencil you in pending the appropriate paperwork. There is a VERY prestigious institution near me that schedules students for summer EM rotations based on a phone call.

I was sweating one particular rotation and one of my upperclassmen friends said, "AB, just call them every other day. They aren't going to be upset that you have such a strong interest in their program..."

Hi all.

Thanks,

At USF, this will be covered at the third year class meeting in february by student affairs.

At USF, this will be covered at the third year class meeting in february by student affairs.

FYI-Denver was full for July rotations by February so do foot work yourself early.
(sorry to keep bringing up my denver experience, but it's a pretty popular rotation and the earliest of all the ones I came across.)
streetdoc

Thanks everyone.

I figured I would start laying the groundwork early to contact my top few programs but did not want to seem "gunnerish". I definitely planned on holding off until after the ACEP conference in October and speaking to the reps at the residency fair there.

Cheers,

Umm, not so much, at least last year at USF.

I set mine up in March for an August rotation here in Cinci and I set up my Jax rotation in May for September. I'd say start calling in January especially if its a competitive program and you probably could start asking about it at ACEP. You won't sound gunnerish in my opinion because the competitive programs know people will want to at least inquire early.

Umm, not so much, at least last year at USF.

I set mine up in March for an August rotation here in Cinci and I set up my Jax rotation in May for September. I'd say start calling in January especially if its a competitive program and you probably could start asking about it at ACEP. You won't sound gunnerish in my opinion because the competitive programs know people will want to at least inquire early.

Dude...go to bed.

Dude...go to bed.

I can't freaking sleep...working 4 straight nights killed my sleep patterns even though I did a G shift today, but I have an S tomorrow so I can sleep in. Of course I have nothing to complain about since my whole month isn't nights like yours is. How do you have time for SDN? Shouldn't you be answering pages from the floor nurses or better yet the patients themselves? (Not looking forward to that next month)....

Thanks everyone.

I figured I would start laying the groundwork early to contact my top few programs but did not want to seem "gunnerish". I definitely planned on holding off until after the ACEP conference in October and speaking to the reps at the residency fair there.

Cheers,

you've got to be pretty aggressive to get rotations you want; for DOs: be aware that some places (bellevue-nyu) won't allow DO's to rotate in their ED until after january (basically when interviews are over)...

i think i had my usc app in around february or march and i just found out about it a few weeks ago, it will be a lot of waiting but you have to keep following up with them to indicate your interest.

other places like stanford have a one month window where you can apply, they won't accept apps before or after the time indicated, just do a lot of research and make some calls and you'll be good to go