Setting up derm clinic?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

homer315

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
We have two dermpaths in our group and there is currently about an 18 month wait for new visits at the local dermatology clinics. Has anyone ever heard of a path group setting up a dermatology clinic staffed by their dermpaths (and a PA or two)? Kind of turn the tables on the podlab model.

Members don't see this ad.

• Dislike
Reactions: 1 user
We have two dermpaths in our group and there is currently about an 18 month wait for new visits at the local dermatology clinics. Has anyone ever heard of a path group setting up a dermatology clinic staffed by their dermpaths (and a PA or two)? Kind of turn the tables on the podlab model.
It’s kind of weird and usually not worth the hassle. The responsibility for doing procedures correctly, documentation and follow-up will become your group’s responsibility. It might be easy enough if those dermpaths are dermatologists, but if they are pathologists who did some half-ass shadowing in a derm clinic for 2 weeks during fellowship, they need to ask themselves if their training is suitable enough to open them up to risk and defend against possible malpractice cases.

Reactions: 3 users
They do about 6 months of clinical dermatology during their fellowships. I'd refer out the challenging stuff.

• Inappropriate
Members don't see this ad :)
They do about 6 months of clinical dermatology during their fellowships. I'd refer out the challenging stuff.
I'm a path-trained dermpath. That "six months" of dermatology was far less than that, usually just going to clinic a few times a week for a few hours. In no way would I feel comfortable doing an actual dermatology clinic just based on the minimal dermatology training I got during my dermpath fellowship. I'd say it's a terrible idea.

Reactions: 7 users
Agree with Guest8 - I'm also a path-trained dermpath, and was a de-facto derm resident during my 6 months of derm (did the biopsies and evaluations and was treated as a first year derm resident). I still would not feel comfortable running a medical derm clinic - way too much hassle, liability and "customer" care. Also, the $$ is in cosmetics anyway (cash practice). I do know of pathologists who have cosmetic clinics.
I do know of one path-trained dermpath who has a derm practice and reads their own slides - however, this pathologist did one year of medical internship prior to path residency.
What are the thoughts of the dermpaths in your group about this proposed endeavor?

Agree with Guest8 - I'm also a path-trained dermpath, and was a de-facto derm resident during my 6 months of derm (did the biopsies and evaluations and was treated as a first year derm resident). I still would not feel comfortable running a medical derm clinic - way too much hassle, liability and "customer" care. Also, the $$ is in cosmetics anyway (cash practice). I do know of pathologists who have cosmetic clinics.
I do know of one path-trained dermpath who has a derm practice and reads their own slides - however, this pathologist did one year of medical internship prior to path residency.
What are the thoughts of the dermpaths in your group about this proposed endeavor?
Pathologists doing cosmetic derm lol?!?

I know of two female pathologists doing botox, liquid facelifts, hyaluronic acid filler on the side.

I remember that one poster here calling himself Nightmare something claimed he knew pathologists doing hair restoration.

I could definitely use some work if anyone is looking for someone to practice on using botox and stuff. Tired of being ugly old man. No silicone muscle injections please.

Is is better to put the derm clinic in the lab breakroom or the hospital morgue? I want to save money on rent. The morgue has most of the tools I would need anyway.

How about something requiring less specific clinical acumen? open a place called “Stitches Only”. Save folks a trip to the ER.

I do botox on prostates. It's supposed to cure cancer and improve things in the bedroom.

• Haha
Tattoo removal is better business. Good side hustle to consider.

How about something requiring less specific clinical acumen? open a place called “Stitches Only”. Save folks a trip to the ER.
Welcome back mike! Or should I say joe blough lol

Reactions: 1 users
I actually think this is a great idea provided it's only function is to biopsy and excise neoplasms and not practice full scope dermatology

There are AP trained people out there practicing full scope dermatology. Feels a bit disingenuous when they call themselves "double board certified" in this context when that is in AP and dermatopathology, but hey more power to them for taking on the liability. About Us | Dermatology Skin Care | San Juan Capistrano