Setting up ENT Allergy Practice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ENTGooner1982`

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a PGY5 going into private practice. Very interested in doing allergy. Several groups I'm looking at do not do their own allergy testing or shots, but are interested in starting. Does anyone have any practical advice or resources for getting info about setting up an allergy practice? Ideally, would love to be able to get specifics such that I could make proposals to some of these groups- i.e. general cost for startup, space needed in the office, how long it takes to build a "busy/successful" practice, what to expect for revenue/reimbursement. Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

I recommend the AAOA basic allegy course , because it tends to cover everything, and there are a lot of people there (colleagues and vendors) to help you get started the correct way.

Here is a rambling list of things to consider: You need to choose an allergen vendor. You shouldn't switch allergen vendors, because of possible variances causing reactions if you change a patients allergens when they are being treated, so this is a big decision. You also need to choose which other supplies you will use (multi test, testing needles, syringes, sharps disposal, testing board, vial storage) . You have to design the charting you will do, and patient education protocol. You need to know about the risks of systemic/pulmonary reactions and how to treat them. You need to have some meds on hand: epi, antihistamines, steroids, steroid cream, nebulizer with albuterol, etc. Ideally, you will need an RN or better yet a mid level, who knows just as much as you do, and can run the day to day testing and mixing. You need to understand coding and reimbursement, and how to instruct the office staff on getting prior authorization or otherwise helping patients with questions like, "how much will my insurance cover for allergy testing and treatment?" Consider doing spirometry to test people for asthma, and consider if you will treat asthmatics with immunotherapy, if so, how severe, whether you will treat their asthma with inhalers, etc. Have a protocol for prescriping epinephrine self injectors, or not. Will you test and treat beyond inhalants? (Venoms? Foods?) Sublingual is pretty easy and there is not a good reason not to offer it, but you need to think about how that fits in. Staff should be educated on initial treatment of anaphylaxis, CPR, BLS. What type of square footage are you going to allocate for mixing, testing shot administration, charting, etc.? Protocols for missed shots. Staff calling patients about appointments, what type of hours will be offered for shots (appointment needed? walk in?).

Last edited:
To answer your questions more specifically, there is a wide range of what you could spend starting up. It would probably be easier to start a year after you are in private practice, and have a practical sense of practice financials. Not that you couldn't do it out of the gate, but it will be more uncertain to the partners of the practice. Ask vendors for prices on the allergen, and you would have to have someone price out all the other materials. If you have enough patients being treated such that you use the materials, you will be profitable. Scaling up decreases the overhead, somewhat.

It really depends your area and your dedication to allergy, with regards to how fast things grow and how big they get. I do a lot of other things, so my allergy is there, but it does not define my practice, and therefore it's not as big as it could be if I was talking about only allergy when I did my meet and greets with primary care docs, or did allergy talks a the hospital, etc.

Other things to consider :

Are you going to develop this as an employee, and offer the revenue to the partners?

As this requires more overhead, with employees, square footage, education (I. E. meetings for allergy nurse), supplies - how does that get paid for?

Are the other partners interested enough to learn how to read tests, supervise mixing, treat reactions, etc?

This is why I say it is easier to do once you are a partner. You have some money in the bank and experience with the practice as far as square footage needs, personnel needs, etc. It would definitely sure the practice is welcoming to it and find out how much they want to do and what they would expect with regards to the income from allergy services.

On the other side of the coin, the actual costs for starting allergy, including meetings would probably be less than $15,000. So, if it is what you want to do, it is doable, whether it makes you a bunch of money or not.

Last edited: