setting up ortho rotations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Buckeye4life

DO, MPT, MEd
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Second year DO student here. I wanted to know when people would schedule their 1st, 2nd, and 3rd choice ortho rotations based on the following dates:
3rd year: October and April
4th year: late September

Also, could anyone give me advice about what to be thinking about when setting up electives or auditions? Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Second year DO student here. I wanted to know when people would schedule their 1st, 2nd, and 3rd choice ortho rotations based on the following dates:

Also, could anyone give me advice about what to be thinking about when setting up electives or auditions? Thank you.

Are you saying you only get to do one of those choices? If so, I think anytime 3rd year would be fine, although you may be better prepared to impress by April in 3rd year.

Don't you have to be done with "core" rotations before doing an ortho rotation and usually be a 4th year student?

I think by April you'll have most of your core done, so you could do ortho as well as Sept, but I wouldn't think programs would take you on ortho as a 3rh year in oct (I may be wrong, but I saw that on a lot of applications, you needed core rotations done at least).

Members don't see this ad :)
I only get 3 electives before interview season is done, and I wanted to do them all in ortho. I wanted to know how people would set them up based on their personal ranking and the dates I have available. I know that the one in october, 3rd year is a little early, but I start 3rd year with back to back general surgery, and figured I could get enough exposure by then to not look completely clueless (maybe though). If you had to rank your #1, 2, and 3 based on those months how would you do it and why?

Could you use a vacation month to do ortho as well (if the vacation falls around summer time btn 3/4th year)?

I was looking at the osteo opportunities page, and it seemed most program had application deadlines of 10/1; thus it would seem that doing your #1 choice in Sept would be a great audition (PD would remember you and could probably look at your application while you are there) and you'd also have the experience of your previous 2 rotations.

Please take this as a grain of salt, since obviously I have not done rotations either, but I think that is how I would do mine.