setting up rotations on the west coast?

Started by solie
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

solie

Senior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi everyone,

I'm really interested in eventually practicing somewhere on the west coast, to be close to my family. I'm thinking especially of the Seattle area.

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone knows if it's difficult to set up rotations in Washington state, or even in northern California or Oregon. I've heard that it's best to try and do rotations in hospitals where you'd eventually like a residency position, so this is what I'm thinking about trying to do.

I've noticed, however, from the match lists I've seen, that the number of DO's ending up in these areas is very small. Is this because people just don't want to practice there (want to return home to other states) or is it because it's hard for DO's to find positions there?

I'd appreciate any thoughts at all on this.
Thanks! 🙂
 
From what I have heard, the programs in OR say they accept DOs, but haven't accepted them into their programs for years. The impression I got from others is that they don't really look at DOs for admission.