SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

setting up rotations on the west coast?

Discussion in 'Medical Students - DO' started by solie, Dec 31, 2001.

1. solie

solie Senior Member 7+ Year Member

May 21, 2001
    Hi everyone,

I'm really interested in eventually practicing somewhere on the west coast, to be close to my family. I'm thinking especially of the Seattle area.

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone knows if it's difficult to set up rotations in Washington state, or even in northern California or Oregon. I've heard that it's best to try and do rotations in hospitals where you'd eventually like a residency position, so this is what I'm thinking about trying to do.

I've noticed, however, from the match lists I've seen, that the number of DO's ending up in these areas is very small. Is this because people just don't want to practice there (want to return home to other states) or is it because it's hard for DO's to find positions there?

I'd appreciate any thoughts at all on this.
    Thanks! :)
  2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. sunny9505

sunny9505 Member 7+ Year Member

Jun 17, 2001
    From what I have heard, the programs in OR say they accept DOs, but haven't accepted them into their programs for years. The impression I got from others is that they don't really look at DOs for admission.