Seven figure pharmacist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
When you have money you're less tied to your source of income for your livelihood. If you don't like your job then you have the option to quit and possibly find a lower paying job that you can tolerate or to go part time. A new grad with $200k+ in loans, someone who is overleveraged with a McMansion and/or BMW, or someone who spent all their savings on a vacation or wedding has far less freedom to walk away from an unfavorable job situation.

That’s fair. I just feel like I don’t understand sacrificing lifestyle throughout your life for a premise on having 10x the lifestyle when you’re old. Or whatever else the point of stockpiling money without using it is.

Members don't see this ad.

Do you know it's actually 18.5k, NOT 18k? Please get your facts straight.

18.5k is the maximum you can contribute. It does not include your employer’s match. That max is 55k

If you make 150k and your employer matches the first 5% you could put away a total of 26k per year. And then there are the catch up contributions when you are older, I think you can do that even if maxed out when younger.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

18.5k is the maximum you can contribute. It does not include your employer’s match. That max is 55k

If you make 150k and your employer matches the first 5% you could put away a total of 26k per year. And then there are the catch up contributions when you are older, I think you can do that even if maxed out when younger.

Fairly sure he was trying to keep it simple for the financially illiterate. Was pretty funny seeing him try to correct Momus who is quite far into the 7 figure mark in his mid 30's.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Starting amount $0.00
Years 40 years.
Additional contributions $34,000.00 per year
Rate of return 9% compounded annually
Total amount you will have contributed $1,360,000.00
Total interest $11,161,923.76
Total at end of investment $12,521,923.76

Not bad for a single earner. I doubt you make the same amount for 40 yrs.

What are you doing you can't show the secret!!

It always "boggles" me that people think it's impossible to save with a family and kids and the only way that's possible is if you aren't living your life. These people think a family means more expenses when actually it means another income source.

It also means you have another person who can save so go ahead and double that savings number.

I may give you a hard time on your style of investing but some people are just foolish.

To the person who said you can't use 9%, the point is to save time. We're saying that after we're done, that's the average (which is a little high for new interested going forward).

Fairly sure he was trying to keep it simple for the financially illiterate. Was pretty funny seeing him try to correct Momus who is quite far into the 7 figure mark in his mid 30's.

I would hire Momus as my financial planner.

I’m not pro-McMansion (because I don’t want to be house poor) but I also definitely don’t understand having money just to have it.

I’m in medical school now so I’m not in this earning and saving mode of life like you guys.

BUT, seriously I’ve never understood bragging about being rich by not spending money. Like what even is the point? Sure you have to pay your debts, have emergency savings, fund your retirement, etc. I’m not saying don’t be financially responsible. But for me the point of having money is being able to spend it. Not just to stare at it as a number in an account. That’s meaningless. You have money so that you can buy a car, a house, a wedding, etc. You know, live your life.

Oh, I live my life. You should see my passport stamps. You just have to be smart with your money. After maxing my retirement accounts, I'm still getting a check for $3000 every other week after all the taxes and deductions. I'm not interested in things that are expensive unless they offer some sort of value for the money. I value experiences. Airfare to New Zealand? Worth it. Dinner at a nice restaurant? Worth it. Things? Depends on the value. A fancy car that you own just to look rich? Not interested. A very nice car that is value for the money? Interested. Giant, expensive wedding that's all about me, me, me? Not interested. Courthouse wedding? Interested.

When you cut out the need to impress other people with how much money you have...you realize that a lot of the **** people spend money on is either frivolous or just idiotic. I find that happiness comes from experiencing awesome things than owning expensive things.

Reactions: 6 users
Oh, I live my life. You should see my passport stamps. You just have to be smart with your money. After maxing my retirement accounts, I'm still getting a check for $3000 every other week after all the taxes and deductions. I'm not interested in things that are expensive unless they offer some sort of value for the money. I value experiences. Airfare to New Zealand? Worth it. Dinner at a nice restaurant? Worth it. Things? Depends on the value. A fancy car that you own just to look rich? Not interested. A very nice car that is value for the money? Interested. Giant, expensive wedding that's all about me, me, me? Not interested. Courthouse wedding? Interested.

When you cut out the need to impress other people with how much money you have...you realize that a lot of the **** people spend money on is either frivolous or just idiotic. I find that happiness comes from experiencing awesome things than owning expensive things.

You just can't teach this to these millennials/gen z new grads.

I give financial advice to some of my pharmacist friends so I know their finances. They are on track to reach $1 mil net worth around 30-40 years old. I did it when I was 35. The common themes are:
- Paying off student loans, even if over $200k.
- Being a good saver and maxing out 401k, Roth, etc. and investing even more in taxable or properties.
- Keeping spending under control. They only spend what's leftover after saving and investing.

Maybe others can chime in if they can max out on their 401k and I'll see if it's just my cost of living. I know none of my friends are able to max their 401ks living in my area.

I honestly would not count HSA but if you insist I'll let you have it.

While the Roth is tax free on gains...gains are never guarranteed, it is also after tax dollars...you have already lost 30% on it tbh.

I was maxing mine in CA and now maxing mine after a large pay cut moving to a large midwestern city. (So my cost of living went down a little but not that much) - maxing it works out to be ~$710/pay period, but because it’s pretax really only feels like losing $400 or so per paycheck.

Reactions: 1 user
Maybe others can chime in if they can max out on their 401k and I'll see if it's just my cost of living. I know none of my friends are able to max their 401ks living in my area.

Just to validate:

~55k salary (enlisted soldier)
Just shy of maxing TSP (gov version : 401k) +/- 1k
With tax returns maximized in Roth (mutual fund)

This salary includes tax free housing allowance and food stipend. What does help is “nearly” free health insurance with spouse and two kids, tax free groceries on military base(s), even credit card advantages for AD members (ie AMEX platinum). Nonetheless, with these perks and me being the sole provider I don’t come close to ~120k salary.

Perhaps not the most extravagant vacations but wife still sees family in the pacific, comfortably drive a ‘14 Ram 1500 crew cab (bought in ‘16 with 35XXX miles), and don’t feel I’m struggling to stay afloat. True, I live a simple lifestyle and don’t have the latest phone or newest flat screen on the market, but maximizing your investments can and should be done.

I’ll share my budget when you pansies put your 401k cocks away with this financial swordfighting

When you have money you're less tied to your source of income for your livelihood. If you don't like your job then you have the option to quit and possibly find a lower paying job that you can tolerate or to go part time. A new grad with $200k+ in loans, someone who is overleveraged with a McMansion and/or BMW, or someone who spent all their savings on a vacation or wedding has far less freedom to walk away from an unfavorable job situation.

I thinking about writing a book. "Pharmacy the 5 figure occupation". Will you preorder it?

I’ll share my budget when you pansies put your 401k cocks away with this financial swordfighting

Imagine being so poor that all you have is money.

Every woke man knows the true currency is women not money

Members don't see this ad :)
Starting amount $0.00
Years 40 years.
Additional contributions $34,000.00 per year
Rate of return 9% compounded annually
Total amount you will have contributed $1,360,000.00
Total interest $11,161,923.76
Total at end of investment $12,521,923.76

Not bad for a single earner. I doubt you make the same amount for 40 yrs.
Are you saying 12 million now or in 40 years? Either makes no sense with these figures. What rph could save 34k a year in the 80's, 90's or 00's? In 1989 I started at 46k a year. If you're projecting into the future assuming 9% is way off.

The point isn't to get 7 figures and be in your 70s. Each year that passes is time that you can never get back with tomorrow being of no certainty. I really dont agree with the whole notion of getting rich in your 80s.
Exactly. I'm sure that people can save like crazy as a rph and have a million in the bank at 55. But they spent 30 years of their life scrimping and saving. Would really suck to live like that and get hit by a bus. Part of the fun of working your ass off ass a rph is having a nice house, sports car and cool trips. Not sure I'd enjoy the round the world cruise when I'm using a walker and can't eat steak.

Buy rental properties. Bang for your buck because of leverage.

Let’s say you buy a $350 k house, put 20%, your tenants pay for everything and assuming 4% growth.

After 18 years your money would double...so after 36 years: $350 k x 2 x 2 = $1.4M. So with $70 k down payment...you would get $1.4M after 32 years.

Exactly. I'm sure that people can save like crazy as a rph and have a million in the bank at 55. But they spent 30 years of their life scrimping and saving. Would really suck to live like that and get hit by a bus. Part of the fun of working your ass off ass a rph is having a nice house, sports car and cool trips. Not sure I'd enjoy the round the world cruise when I'm using a walker and can't eat steak.

Wait you have been working since 1989 but can't retire yet? Your 401k alone should be at or nearing 2 million if the only thing you did was max it out. At a minimum 1.5 million.

Momus can respond for himself but the point of saving is to retire early so you can actually enjoy your life while you are still relatively young.

What exactly did you do in your 30s through 50s that you wanted to spend money on? My life literally consists of living through my kids until they move on to college. At that point I'll be retiring.

Oh and we take some pretty nice vacations every year.

Last edited:
The point isn't to get 7 figures and be in your 70s. Each year that passes is time that you can never get back with tomorrow being of no certainty. I really dont agree with the whole notion of getting rich in your 80s.

It is not binary. You can save and still have a good life but you have to invest early and not take on bad debt (cars, student loans, boats, etc).

I honestly would not count HSA but if you insist I'll let you have it.

While the Roth is tax free on gains...gains are never guarranteed, it is also after tax dollars...you have already lost 30% on it tbh.

Is this a joke? There are many pharmacists who max out their 401k, backdoor Roth, HSA and also contribute additionally to a taxable account. Just read the investment thread in this forum. Anyone who makes 120k+/year has no excuse not to max retirement accounts and then some.

You wouldn't recommended HSA?? You realize that's the best account of them all? It has triple tax savings. Contributions, earnings and withdrawals are all tax free! You should absolutely count HSA and max it out.

Sorry man but you were really reaching with those ten+ replies to momus. It was obvious that he picked an arbitrary number above the 401k limit to illustrate how easily one can reach $1mil by taking advantage of both tax advantaged and taxable accounts.

Reactions: 2 users
Just to validate:

~55k salary (enlisted soldier)
Just shy of maxing TSP (gov version : 401k) +/- 1k
With tax returns maximized in Roth (mutual fund)

This salary includes tax free housing allowance and food stipend. What does help is “nearly” free health insurance with spouse and two kids, tax free groceries on military base(s), even credit card advantages for AD members (ie AMEX platinum). Nonetheless, with these perks and me being the sole provider I don’t come close to ~120k salary.

Perhaps not the most extravagant vacations but wife still sees family in the pacific, comfortably drive a ‘14 Ram 1500 crew cab (bought in ‘16 with 35XXX miles), and don’t feel I’m struggling to stay afloat. True, I live a simple lifestyle and don’t have the latest phone or newest flat screen on the market, but maximizing your investments can and should be done.
Something that always irritates me is that you, at least, have volunteered to get shot up or die in some no name pesthole..while these bougie mutts argue over what is VERY likely to be a false assumption..that they will continue to pull in even 100k 5 years from now...but I guess we shall see..

Wait you have been working since 1989 but can't retire yet? Your 401k alone should be at or nearing 2 million if the only thing you did was max it out. At a minimum 1.5 million.

Momus can respond for himself but the point of saving is to retire early so you can actually enjoy your life while you are still relatively young.

What exactly did you do in your 30s through 50s that you wanted to spend money on? My life literally consists of living through my kids until they move on to college. At that point I'll be retiring.

Oh and we take some pretty nice vacations every year.
Own a nice house on the water at the jersey shore, a boat docked at that house , and a nice sports car. And I'm still on track to retire at 55. But I have no interest in money except for buying things I enjoy. There are things I could do in my 30's like sking and getting a pilot license that I could not do at the same level at my current age.

Well, everyone has different things they want to spend money on. I like to travel, like you. But I did just have a country club wedding and don’t regret the money at all. It wasn’t a show to impress anyone, it was a celebration of marriage and joining our families. But even if someone else wants to spend their discretionary money on junk I don’t care. They can value what they want to value.

You just can't teach this to these millennials/gen z new grads.

teach us what? To value the same exact things someone else does? It just so happens that I agree with the travel and experiences, the only part I disagreed with was the wedding. But even if I didn’t, if people want to spend their money differently I don’t care. If someone doesn’t like to travel but likes new clothes what is it to you?

Own a nice house on the water at the jersey shore, a boat docked at that house , and a nice sports car. And I'm still on track to retire at 55. But I have no interest in money except for buying things I enjoy. There are things I could do in my 30's like sking and getting a pilot license that I could not do at the same level at my current age.

How much do these things cost exactly?

If you are going to retire at 55, sorry but you saved too much and aren't the correct person saying spend more.

It's not about interest in money, it's about having financial freedom. Money means nothing to me too but I know I need it.

Well, everyone has different things they want to spend money on. I like to travel, like you. But I did just have a country club wedding and don’t regret the money at all. It wasn’t a show to impress anyone, it was a celebration of marriage and joining our families. But even if someone else wants to spend their discretionary money on junk I don’t care. They can value what they want to value.

teach us what? To value the same exact things someone else does? It just so happens that I agree with the travel and experiences, the only part I disagreed with was the wedding. But even if I didn’t, if people want to spend their money differently I don’t care. If someone doesn’t like to travel but likes new clothes what is it to you?

What's it to me? Absolutely nothing. I don't care how a person spends their money. The point is don't complain you don't make enough if you keep buying pointless things. The average wedding costs $35k. After 40 years had you invested that, you'd have $500k. My wife and I had our wedding reception in a rented out community center, extremely low cost but our families still got to celebrate the joining of our families.

People are saying we don't make enough to retire early and enjoy our lives. No it's actually extremely easy to do.

Last edited:
Seems to be a lot of buzz with this new book, has anyone read it? I tend to ignore all of these cliche, all heat no fire, type of financial 'resources'... however, since it pertains to pharmacists specifically, I am thinking of biting... thoughts?
Agreed.
My student Loans are paid off and I'm already over 1/3rd into my admittedly too-high mortgage.
I could be saving a LOT more, but why do that?

Soon I won't be able to travel and enjoy nightlife the same way a DINK couple does

Yikes I'm not been close to 1 mil net worth and I'm 32. Loans are gone but probably only have 200K in my 403B (haven't looked recently for exact amount), 60K cash/emergency fund and own my car, mortgage on 350K house currently worth 400K. Married to a medical resident with 1 year left of residency is probably what slowed me down a lot.

How bad off am I?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Relax you're probably in the top 5-10% in the country for your age.

Why is your emergency fund so big? What would you ever need 60k for?

I read an article recently, where the author studied thousands of millionaires. He found that the one thing they had in common was the majority started businesses. A year and a half ago, I did the same. Been a slippery slope, ups and downs, delayed launches, pivots, lost (pharmacist) income, but we’re finally launching soon, and I’m ecstatic.

I have no idea how we’ll actually do, but, if I’m being most optimistic, this is possible in the future as well. Quicker wealth starts with taking a big risk. Risk that most won’t, because.. why? Especially with our salaries.

Love Jeff Bezos story... the “Regret Minimization Framework” changed the world.

Last edited:
Oh wow did not know that so many of us here max out our 401ks and everything. Maybe i just live in a high cost area... Congrats to all of you that have such disciplined paths

Yikes I'm not been close to 1 mil net worth and I'm 32. Loans are gone but probably only have 200K in my 403B (haven't looked recently for exact amount), 60K cash/emergency fund and own my car, mortgage on 350K house currently worth 400K. Married to a medical resident with 1 year left of residency is probably what slowed me down a lot.

How bad off am I?

You’re married to a medical resident, you’ve attached yourself financially to a producer of a service that has consistent demand.

It’s like a balloon payment on a mortgage, except in reverse!

Reactions: 3 users
Are you saying 12 million now or in 40 years? Either makes no sense with these figures. What rph could save 34k a year in the 80's, 90's or 00's? In 1989 I started at 46k a year. If you're projecting into the future assuming 9% is way off.

I really don't think these numbers that are suggested are realistic either. People just throw random figures out. Realistically you should not expect a 9% return from the markets for 40 years.

Yes but I feel like I'm way behind based on what those ppl said about 1mil at 30!

I think that poster meant in their late 30's not at 30 exactly. Even if you put your entire net salary of ~70k in an account making 20% annual earnings for the six years between 24 (graduation from a 0+6 program) and 30 it would only be 800k.

So they either aren't talking about an RPH salary, were exaggerating, or meant sometime in your thirties, probably late thirties where compounding growth would actually have some momentum.

Why is your emergency fund so big? What would you ever need 60k for?
We have more liquid than we "should" but to have 6 months of expenses, it is a lot of money! Daycare alone can be 1500-2000 per month. Per kid. And you can't just pull your kid out and have a spot again when the crisis has passed. Absolute barebones emergency only, our budget isn't that high, but to keep up with mortgage and daycare (no longer student loans,but that's a mortgage's worth for some)... Adds up quickly.

Look at all these peasants.

How bad off am I?

Your emergency fund is too large. If anything put it in an easily assessable bond etf. At least make 3% a year off it.

Reactions: 2 users
My wife and I both max out 401k and I just paid off my student loans.

We have gone on an overseas trip yearly since married and other small trips. And have a pretty nice house for the area which is admittedly lower cost of living.

Moral of the story, you can save and still have nice things and do the stuff important to you (for us it’s traveling).

Yes but I feel like I'm way behind based on what those ppl said about 1mil at 30!

Not sure you can achieve that unless you do tons of OT and had no student loan... I did it from 24 to 30 but it wasn't easy. The opportunity to do OTs is gone. Thru some luck I graduated at the right time during bull market, housing market and a booming job market. The opportunity to hit that number by 30 from just working is small nowadays. You are lucky if you hit 1M by 35 as a single earner nowadays.

You should be in tech if you want money, not pharmacy... The golden years of pharmacy is gone.

Screenshot 2018-07-14 00.55.30.png

I'm also in med school...looks like we're they low earners here...lol

I know this is in jest, but one of the reasons I chose pharmacy was the ability to start investing earlier. If I went to med school, residency, fellowship...You're in your 30s before you start really making money. With pharmacy, you graduate at 24 and start at 6 figures instantly. Those extra years of savings and compound interest are huge. With the right plan in place, we can wind up with fatter retirements than many physicians.

There's a reason Einstein said what he said about compound interest.

How bad off am I?

Don't worry, you're significantly ahead of me and we're about the same age. I'm still on track to an early retirement.

Oh wow did not know that so many of us here max out our 401ks and everything. Maybe i just live in a high cost area... Congrats to all of you that have such disciplined paths
I have only been maxing mine for a couple years. My first job was low paying in a high cost area, so I started at 5% and kept raising it each year. The real key was avoiding lifestyle creep.

Edit: post got chopped up

Last edited:
Thanks - it's partially because we were thinking of moving, but yes I will moving it shortly

You are far from being behind. $260k in savings and that house will be a nice asset to sell when you retire.

That $200k alone will compound nicely in 30 years. Retiring early to extremely easily isn't for everyone. You should easily still be able to retire by 55.

Seems to be a lot of buzz with this new book, has anyone read it? I tend to ignore all of these cliche, all heat no fire, type of financial 'resources'... however, since it pertains to pharmacists specifically, I am thinking of biting... thoughts?

Does anyone have any good books I should read to learn about all of this? My husband and I have over 200k in the savings account but I still have 100k in student loans. I don’t know if it is smart to have that much in a savings account. We both contribute to 401k and put in as much as company matches. Where should we start if we need to be investing elsewhere?
Edit: we are in early 30s

Does anyone have any good books I should read to learn about all of this? My husband and I have over 200k in the savings account but I still have 100k in student loans. I don’t know if it is smart to have that much in a savings account. We both contribute to 401k and put in as much as company matches. Where should we start if we need to be investing elsewhere?
I will throw some books to start.
If you can
Bogleheads guide to investing
A random walk down wallstreet
All About Asset Allocation

Far too much in liquid savings. Pay off your student loans, now. Only keep 3-6 months of expenses in savings account, and maybe put it in a high interest online savings account. Max out both your 401k if able. If healthy, use an HSA and max it out as well.

I’d recommend reading The White Investor, it’s like $13 on amazon and will teach you all the basic personal finance skills you need.

For fun The millionaire Next door, well worth the read.

So, I just gave you 2 free books in pdf. If You Can and The millionaire Next door...

You don’t need to read books. Apply my rules and you will do well (financially):

You don't need to do research on this or try to understand it because I have already done it for you:

(1) 401 k: contribute at least to the match which is usually 5%. If you put in a dollar, your company will give you a dollar = $2. Don't ever touch this money.

- Why? Tax saving and retirement money

- How should I distribute my 401 k?
For a new grad: 35% large size companies, 25% small size companies, 20% mid size companies, 20% international companies.

Look for Vanguard funds (low fee) and look for the word "index" in the fund name.

(2) Tackle your student loans within the first 5 years. Cut down on unnecessary cost. Don't be foolish and buy a new car. Live with friends or family when possible.

(3) Try to work OT if possible especially when you are being paid 1.5x. Working on holidays also helps. Get a per diem job at a non retail pharmacy if you are working in retail. Nobody wants to do retail for 30 years. You need a Plan B.

(4) Take a small vacation every 6 months. Go with a large group of friends or family. Don't overspend.

(5) Spend your money wisely. If it helps you grow or advance your career, then it may be worth it. Staying at a 4 star hotel? Not worth it.

(6) If you have some money left over:

- First, max out your health saving account (HSA), not the same as flexible spending account. This is your health care money. It gets rolled over if you don't use it. Tax saving.
- Second, max out your 401 k (up to 18 k this year). Again, tax saving and retirement money.
- Third, put money in ROTH IRA (do a back door conversion)

(7) Start saving for a house. If you put 20% down, you don't have to pay for PMI (extra cost added to money borrowed from the bank).

(8) Don't spend ridiculous money on your friends or family. You are just a pharmacist, not Rockefeller Jr.

(9) Date someone who is financially stable and has a good career. It helps tremendously. A bad divorce is a destroyer of wealth. Don't forget that.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

You don’t need to read books. Apply my rules and you will do well (financially):

Dang it I was trying so hard to find this....I wanted to impress you.

Delete your post and I'll post it.

The problem with following random strangers advice is just that you won't develop your own conviction/style of investing. When there is another stranger gives you an idea later, you will be easily persuaded and make mistakes you wish you didn't make. Bear market hits (OMGWTFBBQ, sell everything), Another gimmicky funds open (you put money there), this asset allocation is better than that (change everything), new sh1tcoin offering (buy buy buy)... etc.

Read the books and have a CONVICTION in your investment style. A lot of my friends ask, but I always point them in the right direction without telling them what to do because of this reason alone. You will make a lot of behavioral mistakes if you don't have a deep understanding of why you do the things you do. There is a saying "Bulls make money, bears make money, pigs get slaughtered".

Reactions: 4 users
The problem with following random strangers advice is just that you won't develop your own conviction/style of investing. When there is another stranger gives you an idea later, you will be easily persuaded and make mistakes you wish you didn't make. Bear market hits (OMGWTFBBQ, sell everything), Another gimmicky funds open (you put money there), this asset allocation is better than that (change everything), new sh1tcoin offering (buy buy buy)... etc.

Read the books and have a CONVICTION in your investment style. A lot of my friends ask, but I always point them in the right direction without telling them what to do because of this reason alone. You will make a lot of behavioral mistakes if you don't have a deep understanding of why you do the things you do. There is a saying "Bulls make money, bears make money, pigs get slaughtered".

This is also a good point. Like the old saying, "give a man a fish and you feed him for a day...teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime".

I think most of you are not really considering the most underlying factor in this discussion, lifestyle. It's really hard to change a lifestyle. I view the idea of changing someone's financial habits to be a more complicated task than getting someone to quit substance abuse, because it's not apparent the amount of damage people do to themselves until the end. This is at both ends, and I doubt that most of you (inclusive of myself) are willing to take certain sorts of risks.

With respect to @Momus, does it really matter whether you have the same numbers as he does? For him (I assume he's male), it doesn't really matter what his numbers are, he shouldn't need to care. His lifestyle is such that irrespective of anything done to the market, he is always in the position of financial gain. That's the point. More than investing well or having a huge endowment, the lifestyle of living beneath his means will always work out to his financial advantage, the end. At the rate he is going, he will make the numbers, no problem.

But there are two interesting problems associated with reaching your goals. What if Momus got $5M tomorrow? This is where the lifestyle gets interesting, I seriously doubt that he would change a thing, why would he? Yeah, we all talk about retirement, but why mess up a good thing? I would argue that there is NO reason why Momus or anyone else would quit their jobs having made their numbers, unless either their life goals significantly change (which almost never happens) or there is something more lucrative to do with his time. So, unless Momus gets enough in the way of assets that asset management becomes a more time-consuming task than practice, I expect Momus to milk CVS for all they're worth until such a time when other factors demand change. I can't see a Momus who becomes just "interest-rate" rich.

I say this from a position of both me personally and my household as a combined sense in possession of liquid assets (not even consider illiquid) that there is no reason to work anymore, and most of my wife's work partners at the firm are very much in that position. Why continue working anyway to the point of an early grave for most of them? Mainly, what else is there to do and why screw up a good thing? The few times I've been idled, I've worried deeply about finding something to do. All my assets are passively managed well, so I don't even consider active management even though I conceivably could make quite a bit more. What changes when you make those numbers are what are you actually playing for? For me, it's relevance and power, so I can afford to work the job I do. For my wife, it's the thrill of beating someone (not even victory, winning is fine, but destroying someone is even better). But the hard part is that when you have those assets, those assets do own you. You have to be considerate to choose a spouse (or else, have a good prenup and a divorce lawyer), you have to take care of your health (because you can't take the money with you), and you have to take care of your time (because you're not getting any more of it). Inertia plays the most important role in life, and making money is a lifestyle.

But if you don't understand that making money is more about a lifestyle and a philosophy than it is about income generation, then even if you do come into some money, you'll lose it eventually through your stupidity. But also, you need to go for what you want in balance, because you really can't use one asset to offset a lack of another efficiently. If you becomes rich at the expense of finding someone, you won't easily find anyone. They say that money talks, and it has the best pickup lines, but if your ideal is to make money, would you want to attract the sort of person who listens to money in that way? The opportunity costs are real, and you can't get everything. You have to choose and be measured about what you really want. The sad part is, for most of the social circle I am in, work and those matters are a much higher priority over family, friends, or even money, work makes those people happy, and I kind of am worried that I treat my own relationships that way.

We've already sacrificed quite a bit to get where we are, try to use that sacrifice in pursuit of the ideals you really want. The problem needs to account for both passive lifestyle as well as active choice. Momus's lifestyle is so profoundly idealistic that even if he gets wiped out tomorrow, it won't really matter, because he'll make that money back as his convictions to an earning lifestyle is that strong.

What the heck is this!?

Why isn't he saying a funny thing?

I want my money back!