Several Questions on Early Decision

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bluesTank

Zombie
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

Well I have decided that I am very set on going to U. Texas Galveston. I am applying this summer and I have just started hearing about this early admissions thing. So it got me wondering:

What is the advantage of doing Early decision. Does it give you some edge on that particular school? If not, then what is the point of it?

Also, if you don't happen to get into the school that you early decide on, then do they screw you over by making you late to apply to other schools, or do other schools take into account that you went the early decision route?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Also, if anyone wouldnt mind looking at my MDapp and just letting me know if its even worth taking the risk. Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
Also, if anyone wouldnt mind looking at my MDapp and just letting me know if its even worth taking the risk. Thanks

I would suggest calling the school and talking to an admissions officer. Tell them that you would like to apply as an EDP applicant and see what they have to say. That's what I did at least. After our conversation I had a much better feeling about applying EDP.

I'm not sure what that school's avg GPA and MCAT are, but I'm sure that your stats are fine. Just make sure you spend the time to write a great personal statement. Good luck.

I would suggest calling the school and talking to an admissions officer. Tell them that you would like to apply as an EDP applicant and see what they have to say. That's what I did at least. After our conversation I had a much better feeling about applying EDP.

I'm not sure what that school's avg GPA and MCAT are, but I'm sure that your stats are fine. Just make sure you spend the time to write a great personal statement. Good luck.

:thumbup:
My word of caution on EDP is that you may feel decided on where you want to go now, but what do you really know about Galveston vs. other schools (other random question though, does the UT system even have EDP, I thought they did some crazy rank/match thing)? So, what about Galveston do you like over other schools? What is their curriculum like? How much customization do you get in rotations? How's the area? What will your financial aid package look like? How's the class size? How much time do students spend in class? Is it pass fail, graded, or ranked? These are all questions most of us haven't been able to answer until interviewing, which you'd be missing out on. The AMCAS early decision then only allows you to apply to other schools until after October 10th, which puts you at a severe disadvantage.

a year before the application cycle, i thought i was set on a school and ready to do the EDP too - and then through interviewing at many places and visiting many places i decided i was wrong. dont limit yourself! as long as you apply early enough in the cycle you can increase your chance of getting in anywhere you want to go, without being committed to one place straight away.

I'm also looking into EDP in Ohio, and basically came up with the same list of pros and cons as you guys...its a tough decision!:)