Sex after USUHS/residency??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Re3iRtH

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I have read several times on here in the "avoid military medicine" threads
that a big disadvantage to military medicine and USUHS in general is that
you won't be having sex after you're deployed, even if to a place you
actually choose.

This post is completely serious. I know everyone's situation is different,
but let's say you aren't married after residency (or are -- for that matter),
and you are deployed somewhere... Is the oppurtunity for having sex
that badly diminished? Please give your opinion, esp. people with actual
experience on this. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I don't understand what you're talking about... You're worried that you won't be able to have sex in the army? There's lot's of sex in the army. As for having sex in Iraq, that happens all the time too, though it's against regulations and a pretty bad idea. If this is your biggest concern, though, then I think you might not have thought through some of the more serious ramifications of joining the army. If death is less concerning to you than the possible necessity of masturbation then your priorities are very odd.

Members don't see this ad :)
I may have worded my question wrong. In no way does the amount of
sex have anything to do with my decision to practice medicine or
serve my country, for that matter. But if I'm sitting here trying to
decide between civilian medical school and usuhs, I have to start
weighing all the options at some point.
Thanks for your input though. Anyone else familiar with this?

if you want more acess to sex and sexual opportunity, , then going civilian is probably the way to go. I have to say that I am NOT surprised that someone might think about that question, but I am surprised that you couldn't figure that one out for yourself.:sleep:

Well there are some seriously torrid stories out of Iraq about ample sex. Supposedly what happens in Iraq, stays in Iraq--except the pregnant soldiers, and the STD's, oh, yeah, and all the rumors.

When I was deployed to Germany, there was a large group of people in trouble for participating in orgies. I don't think there is any more difficulty getting sex in the military vs civilian (doing it without getting in trouble is a different story).

One of my surgeon buddies was deployed for close to 5 months, did no surgical cases, but did become a part time epidemiologist to find out who the index case for gonorrhea was that was spreading it around the base.

Well there are some seriously torrid stories out of Iraq about ample sex. Supposedly what happens in Iraq, stays in Iraq--except the pregnant soldiers, and the STD's, oh, yeah, and all the rumors.
"What goes TDY, stays TDY"....except for one of my female cardiopulmonary tech classmates getting labeled as a "desert version of the Happy Hooker" :laugh:

OP, trust me there is no shortage of sex in the military.....

I'm going to editorialize here for a minute.

In the desert, being a young single guy can be a great time (being a young single female is even better... you basically have your pick; all the action you can handle)... but be careful. It's only natural that when you throw a few thousand hormonally-poisoned young people together in the desert far away from home, things are going to happen. Here are the rules: Be careful, don't get caught, don't get pregnant, and don't get infected. If any of the above happens, and you get disciplined/pregnant/STD'd, don't complain; you were warned. Take your lumps like a grown-up.

On a related point, as a married service member, engaging in infidelity and promiscuity in the desert marks you as an idiot. Don't do it... you're risking your career and your marriage. In the internet age, "What does TDY, stays TDY" doesn't exist anymore. People email pictures and videos home... it's a small world, and an even smaller military, and people will talk. Don't count on anything being a secret for very long.

I saw it every time I deployed... fraternization, stupid promiscuity, married guys acting like singles, attempting to score some action on the side, etc. Some got away with it, but for others it came crashing down.

My all-time favorite was the herpes outbreak we had at one location. I had this married TSGT crying his eyes out in my clinic at the fact that he'd contracted herpes from this airman he'd nailed (like a true idiot, he used no condoms, and his junk was covered with vesicles). We were under GO#1, so there wasn't even any alcohol he could have used as an excuse to deflect the blame for his bad judgement. He tearfully asked "what am I going to tell my wife?"

I just looked at him and answered "yeah... what are you going to tell your wife? You'd better come clean, because when she eventually comes down with genital herpes, you'll have some 'splain' to do. And you'd better hope she doesn't get an outbreak when she's having your next child, because that could endanger your baby." I let him think about that for a minute, then hooked him up with some Acyclovir and pain medicine, and sent him on his way. I know it was harsh, but those are the facts. I don't understand why otherwise intelligent people choose to blow their lives and their relationships apart with decisions like that.

There is plenty of sex in the military, but use your good sense. You don't want to be that individual who gets off the plane on the flight line, only to see an attorney waiting at the bottom of the stairs with divorce papers.

Wow. That scared the hell out of me...
I guess being 3000 miles away from home
in a desert isnt fun and games.
Some stuff to think about.
Thanks for the input and stories guys.

If you needed this thread to tell you that, then please don't join the military. . . . . . . or run for office

I hope someone let you in on that other secret: 3000miles away from home in the desert there is also a measurable chance of getting: shot at/shelled/blown up.....
Whether you get enough action should be a little further down on your list imho.

Members don't see this ad :)
i second this thread for "best thread ever"

To kind of answer your question from second hand information, a male friend of mine goes to USUHS and says there aren't many single women there. Plus, USUHS as a whole is male dominated. Civilian, atleast during medical school would be a better route although I don't think this question should be really high on your priority list concerning choosing a medical school.

The pickings are pretty slim at civilian schools too. There's a reason why we used to describe a girl as "doctor hot", as opposed to just "hot".

The pickings are pretty slim at civilian schools too. There's a reason why we used to describe a girl as "doctor hot", as opposed to just "hot".

That's so true.

I really believe that for guys, hotness is entirely relative.

You put a guy in a room full of the ugliest women on the planet and he'll find himself attracted to the least ugly.

Then you put the same guy in a room of supermodels and he'll find the one that really is "better" and the others just don't quite seem as hot anymore.

As my wife tells me, men have two brains and only blood enough to supply one at a time.

And I'm ok with that.

The military is a sausage fest. If you want sex other than old military wives or if your shoulders and jaw aren't quite as square as the next guys, then you better go civilian.

I've got to disagree. My class has some hotties in it. And I don't mean doctor hot. They are actually pretty by anyone's standards. . . . how is this thread relevant anymore?

Excellent thread. Nice job, OP.
Sex is everywhere in and out of the military. To some it doesn't matter if people are married, they will still pursue some action. Everywhere I have been from med school, internship, deployment, in garrison, TDY for a week, you name it, there have been people getting their freak on. The above stuff about ruined marriages and careers is very true, as is the stupidity of people who think they won't get caught. I have seen with my own eyes married E's propositioning married O's and vice versa. The forbidden fruit and danger is exciting and overrides common sense. Add distance and time away from spouses and it is magnified substantially.

If you're in the military, don't fraternize, don't commit adultery (punishable under UCMJ), and you can have as much sex as you want.
If you're a civilian, no such thing as fraternization, adultery is less punishable... minus the angry husband with a .45, and the civilian world is a much more target rich environment. Either way, try not to let 5 minutes of grunting and sweating ruin years of hard work. Get busy getting busy.

Thanks for all the good advice fellas.

If anyone else has any experiences, please share.

Deployed in the desert here is what I saw , two divorces within my squadron , plenty of Gonno not only Army and Air Force Plenty of stupid people getting caught in Humvees doing the wild thing and women normally considered at home "unacceptable " Becoming top models over night getting the VIP treatment that Models usually get!! But for 4 months only, a year if ARMY. A dream come true for these ladies !!:p

Sorry if I may sound uninformed, but what is TDY?

Just ask Mr. (or Mrs.) Hand. Always happy to oblige.

Any personal experiences with deployment and that issue, Out?

don't most civilians like doctors+officers? so you should at least as good as a regular doctor, and most regular doctors have it real good.