1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

sex pilus

Discussion in 'MCAT Study Question Q&A' started by junkct, Dec 30, 2008.

1. junkct

5+ Year Member

Ok so I'm having a bit of trouble understanding the whole concept of hfr cells. The way I see it, usually the F factor in F+ bacteria is on an extrachromosomal plasmid, which replicates and transfers to the F- bacteria during conjugation (ONLY the F factor plasmid can be transferred).

I'm also reading that this F factor can incorporate itself into the bacterial chromosome in some bacteria (which are called hfr bacteria), so that during conjugation the MAIN chromosome can actually replicate and transfer genes to an F- bacterium. However, in this situation, the F factor does NOT always get transferred.

Is this correct?? Or am I missing something? Clarification would be greatly appreciated! thanks!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. engineeredout

10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    I copied this straight from notes from my bio class, I think it clarifies everything for you.

4. junkct

5+ Year Member

gracias my fellow engineer! Exactly what I've been looking for! One question: so when an Hfr cell begins transferring it's chromosome, does it always transfer the F factor? Or only sometimes? I can't remember if the F factor is the FIRST gene that gets transferred during conjugation of Hfr cells.

5. futuredoctor10

Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    When an Hfr cell transfers its chromosome, it only sometimes transfers the F factor. We learned in my Intro Bio course the F factor is rarely transferred - usually only some of the chromosomal genes will be transferred.

Nope not first- it is at the end I think.

6. fly1346

7+ Year Member

Engineer: you go to stony brook rite, in BIO202 with Deboarh Brown ;) Howd you do in that class?

7. engineeredout

10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    Hard to be anonymous on the internet isn't it?

Got an A :thumbup: