Stable Population size: Require a 50/50 sex ratio?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SaintJude

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
In order to maintain stable population size, must there be a constant 50/50 sex ratio?

Members don't see this ad.

I don't see a correlation between the two. You can have a population disappear or grow exponentially while still having 50/50 ration. You should also be able to have a stable population with a different ration, provided that individuals don't mate for life. Actually, even that should not be important as a requirement - if say only half of the individuals need to reproduce to maintain the population, you can get by with a sex disbalance even if they do mate for life. All this is just theoretical - I don't know any specific species to give you as an example.

Here is one, actually: bees.

Shouldn't matter because the ratio doesn't have anything to do with how many individuals are reproducing.

Members don't see this ad :)
All you need is mortality rate =birth rate

Think of it this way, if pop had a low mortality rate, and each female gave birth to 10 young at a time, a 50/50 sex ratio would cause massive population increase.
For the pop to be stable, you need a much lower ratio.

Think of it like a farm.

1 Bull, 100 cows. Bull nails each cow. Each cow has a crib midget.

Mommy cow goes off to the beef factory. Baby cow grows into a new mommy cow. Population stays stable.

(I realize some of the new offspring will be male yes, but the farmer would sell those, knock up some of the females a couple extra times, and still have 100 head to send to slaughter. The point of the example still works)

Remember that example only works if all of the original cows die.
Or else there will be a population of 200 cows for an amount of time.

In order to maintain stable population size, must there be a constant 50/50 sex ratio?

Think fitness. As was mentioned, it depends more on the fitness of the offspring to survive than if you have a 50/50 ratio. If you have a 50/50 ratio and no offspring live to reproduce you will have a declining population size. If the opposite were true, high fitness and not a 50/50 ratio, you could maintain a stable population size. Therefore, the 50/50 ratio is not necessary.