Sexiest specialty?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
At the hospital where I work, the hottest doc is definitely a neurosurgeon. He is so cute that people just stop mid-conversation when he walks by and just stare at him and sigh. And his hands...OMG, I think I need to lie down for a moment.
 
chaeymaey said:
At the hospital where I work, the hottest doc is definitely a neurosurgeon. He is so cute that people just stop mid-conversation when he walks by and just stare at him and sigh. And his hands...OMG, I think I need to lie down for a moment.
shut up, meredith!








[size=-3]spoiler: he has a wife in ob-gyn who cheated on him.[/size]
 
Radiology!
Heh.
Oh sure the surgeon shows you your scan like he knows what's going on, but he read the report.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Orthopods are the sexiest, but this is only because they are tall, muscular, and confident to begin with.

lk2230: I commend your well written and analytical post.

veddhead said:
Familiarity breeds contempt, even for vaginas. Haven't you heard of the butcher that becomes a vegetarian?

I'll lay you seven to five that butchers are less likely to be vegetarians than members of the general population. A lot of men go into OB-GYN because they have a special interest in women and women's health. Besides, the desire to have sex is so strongly ingrained from millions of years of evolutionary history that familiarity won't dent it.

Caristra said:
I think we have a small problem-the sexiest specialty for a guy may not be the sexiest one for a girl and both guys and girls are replying. Hmmmm.

The thread topic is refering to specialties for men. A woman's profession doesn't make a significant contribution to her overall attractiveness. To answer your implied question, I would probably go with neurology, internal medicine, or radiation oncology because I like nerdy girls. Surgery would be at the bottom of the list because female surgeons tend to be competitive and masculine.


durfen said:
Radiology!
Heh.
Oh sure the surgeon shows you your scan like he knows what's going on, but he read the report.

We get it. You're interested in radiology. Sorry, but you're still not sexy.
 
Callogician said:
The thread topic is refering to specialties for men. A woman's profession doesn't make a significant contribution to her overall attractiveness. To answer your implied question, I would probably go with neurology, internal medicine, or radiation oncology because I like nerdy girls. Surgery would be at the bottom of the list because female surgeons tend to be competitive and masculine.

Besides, the only specility a women should have is the kitchen.

/sarcasm
//ducks
///slashies

EM till recently. EM has gotten a little round and sluggesh since the In-N-Out residency opened up. But they're still the handyman of the hospital. If EM can't fix it, they can patch it up long enough for you to forget about it.
 
I'm surprised no one mentioned radiation oncology.

Great $$$, great lifestyle, and those docs need to have a very well developed sense of compassion for that patient population as well as a pretty good understanding of radiation physics and gadgetry. Sounds like a pretty well rounded doc to me, male or female... 😉
 
Depakote said:
Dunno. If a guy's a GYN, I could see that leading to a major backfire in the bedroom.
👍

You know what? I'm thinking OB/GYN isn't very hot. Sorry. There is nothing awesome or hot about a pap smear. You try to ignore the person doing it and move on with your life.
 
Callogician said:
Orthopods are the sexiest, but this is only because they are tall, muscular, and confident to begin with.

lk2230: I commend your well written and analytical post.



I'll lay you seven to five that butchers are less likely to be vegetarians than members of the general population. A lot of men go into OB-GYN because they have a special interest in women and women's health. Besides, the desire to have sex is so strongly ingrained from millions of years of evolutionary history that familiarity won't dent it.



The thread topic is refering to specialties for men. A woman's profession doesn't make a significant contribution to her overall attractiveness. To answer your implied question, I would probably go with neurology, internal medicine, or radiation oncology because I like nerdy girls. Surgery would be at the bottom of the list because female surgeons tend to be competitive and masculine.




We get it. You're interested in radiology. Sorry, but you're still not sexy.

Hey, I'm also interested in surgery, but com'on, radiology is becoming (or has become) the most important support specialty. How about interventional? You can still call yourself a surgeon...of sorts.
 
rpkall said:
I'm surprised no one mentioned radiation oncology.

Great $$$, great lifestyle, and those docs need to have a very well developed sense of compassion for that patient population as well as a pretty good understanding of radiation physics and gadgetry. Sounds like a pretty well rounded doc to me, male or female... 😉

Yeah but with molecular methods being developed, it is possible radiation will cease to be the treatment of choice in the next decade or two.
 
jackieMD2007 said:
👍

You know what? I'm thinking OB/GYN isn't very hot. Sorry. There is nothing awesome or hot about a pap smear. You try to ignore the person doing it and move on with your life.

I agree, from a female perspective, male OB/GYN's are not the sexiest specialty... 👎

I dunno maybe some guys out there think female OB/GYN's are sexy, you know, the thought of a hot woman staring at other women's coochies all day might turn some guys on! :laugh:
 
durfen said:
Yeah but with molecular methods being developed, it is possible radiation will cease to be the treatment of choice in the next decade or two.

you have much experience in oncology at all??????????

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=48629

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=64862

the fact of the matter is that the "magic bullet" for cancer doesn't exist, because cancer isn't a single disease, it is an enourmous group of diseases which cause uncontrolled cell division. This is a basic concept of oncology that most laymen miss: each cancer is extremely different from other cancers at the molecular level. the future is impossible to see, but if you use some common sense regarding the science you'll see that most specialties, including rad onc, will remain viable for many years to come.
 
quantummechanic said:
you have much experience in oncology at all??????????

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=48629

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=64862

the fact of the matter is that the "magic bullet" for cancer doesn't exist, because cancer isn't a single disease, it is an enourmous group of diseases which cause uncontrolled cell division. This is a basic concept of oncology that most laymen miss: each cancer is extremely different from other cancers at the molecular level. the future is impossible to see, but if you use some common sense regarding the science you'll see that most specialties, including rad onc, will remain viable for many years to come.

Agreed.

Targeted therapies are great, but they're not perfect and they definatly only go case by case. Not only that, but patients have a nasty habit of failing them (I'm looking at you Gleevec). To say that Rad Onc is on it's way out is very premature.
 
durfen said:
Hey, I'm also interested in surgery, but com'on, radiology is becoming (or has become) the most important support specialty. How about interventional? You can still call yourself a surgeon...of sorts.

Ok, Ok. I agree that Radiology is an awesome specialty. It is definitely one of the most competitive and has great pay and lifestyle. But like you said, its a support specialty. I think sexiness goes to the front lines. Egos get the women.

Now that said, to those outside of the medical culture I think that big "Dr." in front of your name goes a long way on the sexy scale, irregardless of specialty (unless its something most regular people would cringe at, like Proctology). I'm married though, so guess its all a mute point for me anyway. But hey, my wife will like it!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
quantummechanic said:
you have much experience in oncology at all??????????

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=48629

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=64862

the fact of the matter is that the "magic bullet" for cancer doesn't exist, because cancer isn't a

Which is why I said 'decade or two'. It's gonna take a while, mainly because of the molecular complexities and the huge differences between diseases.

And I also don't like the term 'magic bullet'. Nothing in medicine is.

Another edit: I also said that it will only cease to become the treatment of choice, which means it will still have a big role, but they may try other stuff first.
 
durfen said:
Hey, I'm also interested in surgery, but com'on, radiology is becoming (or has become) the most important support specialty. How about interventional? You can still call yourself a surgeon...of sorts.

Dude...no way is rads the sexiest specialty. "Hi, I'm a mole and I sit in a dark room all day and look at pictures." Interventional is kinda cool, especially when it involves the heart but that's a TINY fraction of the all radiologists.

Calling rads the sexiest specialty is like calling anesthesiology the sexiest specialty. I think someone posted another time that if the surgeon and the patient are the porn stars, the anesthesiologist is like, what, the voyeur? I'm not hatin', I'm just sayin'.

While radiology may be some of the most important studies, most urgent and emergent studies don't wait for the report from the cave. The doc reads it on his/her own, acts, and waits for the report for verification.
 
My vote is for emergency medicine, trauma surgery, or neurosurgery.

Orthopedists are great, but they are the carpenters of the medical world.
 
durfen said:
Which is why I said 'decade or two'. It's gonna take a while, mainly because of the molecular complexities and the huge differences between diseases.

And I also don't like the term 'magic bullet'. Nothing in medicine is.

Another edit: I also said that it will only cease to become the treatment of choice, which means it will still have a big role, but they may try other stuff first.

which is great if every form of cancer was due to a defective Rb or p53 gene, but each type of cancer has many potential molecular causes. Now maybe in a century we will see advances that make such individualized cancer treatment feasible, but its nowhere near a decade or two away...unfortunately (or fortunately if you're in medicine for a job) cancer is here to stay.
 
For girls, dermatology...for guys, orthopedics.
 
socuteMD said:
My vote is for emergency medicine, trauma surgery, or neurosurgery.

Orthopedists are great, but they are the carpenters of the medical world.
Carpenters? Come on, orthopedists defintiely are the sexiest because they are all the former athletes.
 
To tell you the truth, the sexiest specialist that comes to MY mind is the neurosurgeon Dr. McDreamy.

Now, the cardiothoracic surgeon Dr. Burke doesn't fit into sexy according to me because he's waaaaaaaaay too stiff and uptight sometimes. LOSEN UP.

If you have no clue who I'm talking about, I suggest you watch more TV.

And yes, I know, this show sucks. Whatever.
For a hilarious review, go to this link: Losen up, Dr. Burke!
 
TCIrish03 said:
Why is anesthesia getting no love?

Because the attendings come into the room put the patient to sleep and get the hell out. Just kidding.
 
Callogician said:
I'll lay you seven to five that butchers are less likely to be vegetarians than members of the general population. A lot of men go into OB-GYN because they have a special interest in women and women's health. Besides, the desire to have sex is so strongly ingrained from millions of years of evolutionary history that familiarity won't dent it.

I think any guy going into OB-GYN will be severly disappointed. I would get severely grossed out doing this job. Not to sound like a male shovenist, but I am only attracted to MAYBE 1.5-2% of the female population (if that). Besides, if you are a male OB-GYN and you are attracted to your patient, you cannot look at the patient in that way. It would be very unprofessional to do so. You would be playing with fire when it comes to your career (not a great idea).
 
baylormed said:
To tell you the truth, the sexiest specialist that comes to MY mind is the neurosurgeon Dr. McDreamy.

You're liable to start a war with the McSteamy camp.

Personally though, I'm fonder of a certain red-headed natal specialist 😉 .
 
legobikes said:
shut up, meredith!








[size=-3]spoiler: he has a wife in ob-gyn who cheated on him.[/size]
Haha, no he is a real doctor. I've known him for 2 years before Gray's Anatomy. I think he may have been their inspiration. He looks way better than Patrick Dempsey, though.
 
Dr Durden said:
You're liable to start a war with the McSteamy camp.

Personally though, I'm fonder of a certain red-headed natal specialist 😉 .

That's because you're a guy!
Either that or you're gay. :laugh: 😛
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have heard this quote float around in medical circles:

"whenever the surgeon is working, his wife is banging the radiologist"
 
Dr. Pepper said:
Damn straight.

Neurosurgeons can operate on their patients and alter their cerebrums so that they fall in love with the neurosurgeon....I like to call it Cupid's scalpel. 🙂

However, if I were to guess, probably Obstetrics (girls love babies, right?)
-Dr. P.


I agree- neurosurgery is the yummiest! Followed by general or trauma surgeon. 😀 Also got to give love to the EM's. There is an EM at the emergency hospital that I shadow at who makes me weak in the knees. Another one that is almost as hot is on my state school's adcom! I try not to flirt with him b/c that would be... awkward. And a little scandelous!
 
baylormed said:
Try FORENSIC Pathology.

You sure? What Grey's has done for surgeons, I think CSI has done for this specialty 😉 .

Though I sincerely hope dead bodies don't raise too many people's libidos :barf:
 
mcsteamy > mcdreamy

i'm a heterosexual male, but there is no doubt in my mind that his character could get any woman on earth.
 
ASDIC said:
I have heard this quote float around in medical circles:

"whenever the surgeon is working, his wife is banging the radiologist"

see?
 
modelslashactor said:
mcsteamy > mcdreamy

i'm a heterosexual male, but there is no doubt in my mind that his character could get any woman on earth.

hell ya! Bring back mcsteamy!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
modelslashactor said:
mcsteamy > mcdreamy

i'm a heterosexual male, but there is no doubt in my mind that his character could get any woman on earth.

My girlfriend would probably agree. However, that damn show is getting her paranoid about what it is like to be a resident (sex in hospital...and with staff).

I share an office with several neurosurgery residents and I couldn't see them spitting game to save their lives. I think it is neurosurgeons think they are Gods and inherently sexy...they are just so smart that they have tricked all of us into believing them.