Sexiest specialty?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Schaden Freud

MiSanthrope II
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What specialty is equivalent to Spanish fly? My vote is for pediatrics- compassionate, good with kids, charming...

Members don't see this ad.

Obgyn Holla At Me Ladies

Members don't see this ad :)
DrVanNostran said:
Neurosurgery or plastic surgery :)

Nah, I think it's gynecology. But only if the gynecologist is nice and sensitive with his patients. Trust me, my mom has a big platonic crush on hers. :p

I hope my mom never reads this thread. :scared:

Plastic/Cosmetic Surg hands down.

Ladies love the Restylane-man! :laugh:

all you orthopods, holla at a lady

Robizzle said:
Obgyn Holla At Me Ladies

Foshizzle Robizzle! My wife's Ob/Gyn...might be able to hook ya up with some "Gyno Girls" ala "Scrubs!"

Orthopods are the rockstars of medical community.

I thought neurosurgeons were the rockstars of the medical community.

Oculus Sinistra said:
I thought neurosurgeons were the rockstars of the medical community.

Damn straight.

Neurosurgeons can operate on their patients and alter their cerebrums so that they fall in love with the neurosurgeon....I like to call it Cupid's scalpel. :)

However, if I were to guess, probably Obstetrics (girls love babies, right?)
-Dr. P.

Jon Davis said:
Plastic/Cosmetic Surg hands down.

Ladies love the Restylane-man! :laugh:

those ladies love the plastic surgery men b/c they are the ones who act as their fashion, nail, and hair consultants!!!!

They are, as Wendy Williams would say....."HOW YOU DOIN?" (read gay...there is nothing wrong with that though...I am just laughin at what Wendy Williams says) :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Blame Nip/Tuck if you want, but definitely Plastic Surgery. To be able to change someone into something completely different is remarkable.

Members don't see this ad :)
Without a doubt-Geriatrics

i think this q was brought up (complete with poll) in the allo boards about a year ago. i remember emergency medicine was well in the lead, with obgyn taking up the rear. as a guy, i've got to agree. em docs are the closest things women have to superman - they know how to fix *anything* on the scene, or at least clutch the dying patient in arms while roaring out, 'whyyyyyyyyyy?'. dermatologists, in comparison, look like vanity doctors. they can nip and tuck all day long, but (to paraphrase radiohead), gravity always wins in the end. and that's depressing. neurosurgeons are skilled, no doubt, but they're never home. and you can't make love to a man who's never home (and losing his hair to boot. by the time you're a full on nsurg, you're pushing mid thirties). so strike them out. i don't know enough about orthoapedic doctors to take them down, but if they have anything to do with feet, it can't be that hard. finally, pediatricians would likely be the closest match to em docs, for precisely the reasons given in the op. guys who are good with kids encourage their women to make kids - with them. but the eventual problem with having a ped husband is the superman syndrome. a pediatrician is the clark kent of the medicinal world - except he never turns into the man of steel. he isn't em. and it only takes one episode, movie, or cartoon to teach an ms1 that lois lane doesn't respect clark kent. she's knocking red boots with the man in tights. once again, superhero analogies are the only ones capable of describing real life phenomena. to summarize: if a woman can't have george clooney, she's going to go for the guy who seems to do what he does on tv, except in real life. that would be the emergency medicine physician. :cool:

Wasn't Clooney peds?

Rafa said:
i think this q was brought up (complete with poll) in the allo boards about a year ago. i remember emergency medicine was well in the lead, with obgyn taking up the rear. as a guy, i've got to agree. em docs are the closest things women have to superman - they know how to fix *anything* on the scene, or at least clutch the dying patient in arms while roaring out, 'whyyyyyyyyyy?'. dermatologists, in comparison, look like vanity doctors. they can nip and tuck all day long, but (to paraphrase radiohead), gravity always wins in the end. and that's depressing. neurosurgeons are skilled, no doubt, but they're never home. and you can't make love to a man who's never home (and losing his hair to boot. by the time you're a full on nsurg, you're pushing mid thirties). so strike them out. i don't know enough about orthoapedic doctors to take them down, but if they have anything to do with feet, it can't be that hard. finally, pediatricians would likely be the closest match to em docs, for precisely the reasons given in the op. guys who are good with kids encourage their women to make kids - with them. but the eventual problem with having a ped husband is the superman syndrome. a pediatrician is the clark kent of the medicinal world - except he never turns into the man of steel. he isn't em. and it only takes one episode, movie, or cartoon to teach an ms1 that lois lane doesn't respect clark kent. she's knocking red boots with the man in tights. once again, superhero analogies are the only ones capable of describing real life phenomena. to summarize: if a woman can't have george clooney, she's going to go for the guy who seems to do what he does on tv, except in real life. that would be the emergency medicine physician. :cool:

Schaden Freud said:
Wasn't Clooney peds?

Bah! I'm not sure. I only watched one episode of ER back in the day, and I don't think he was even in it! :laugh: If he was, ignore the last two sentences of my late-night schpeil. :)

Schaden Freud said:
Wasn't Clooney peds?

Peds-ER (pediatric residency with ER fellowship) attending. I was just watching the season 3 DVD the other day. :cool:

Rafa said:
or at least clutch the dying patient in arms while roaring out, 'whyyyyyyyyyy?'.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: great mental image

So what is the least sexiest specialty? Allergy doesn't scream sex to me.

lynn623la said:
Blame Nip/Tuck if you want, but definitely Plastic Surgery. To be able to change someone into something completely different is remarkable.

Dr. Christian Troy :love: it's all his fault! :laugh:

notdeadyet said:

urology

how about vet. ? A friend of mine digs the vet in gray's anatomy hahahaha

when i first saw this thread, i thought it said "sexist specialties." i saw neurosurg so it sounded about right, but then i saw stuff like peds and urology. weird.

Whatever specialty I go into. ;)

just kidding people...

maybe. :cool:
(hello ladies)

prazmatic said:
Man, doctors are soooo shallow. Just like indian people :rolleyes:

I like the stereotyping. :rolleyes:

notdeadyet said:

infectious disease medicine.

there's a chance you might bring your work home.

baylormed said:
Nah, I think it's gynecology. But only if the gynecologist is nice and sensitive with his patients. Trust me, my mom has a big platonic crush on hers. :p

I hope my mom never reads this thread. :scared:
Dunno. If a guy's a GYN, I could see that leading to a major backfire in the bedroom.

Jon Davis said:
I like the stereotyping. :rolleyes:

I do my best. :smuggrin: Besides, its perfectly socially acceptable to stereotype your own race/future career (especially when its true)!

Short answer...any kind of surgeon.

There are 3 things that would affect the "sexiness" of the specialty:
1) income
2) bodyparts worked on
3) "personality" associated with specialty

I've seen people post in with pediatrics and OBGYN. I disagree.

Peds: Less money than many other specialties, and saving kids isn't necessarily sexy. This will help you get women who are looking for the caring, compassionate type, most likely for marriage, but in terms of inspiring immediate sexual attraction it's probably not the best.

OBGYN: Not as much money as many others, and the chance of perceived awkwardness. I could see why a woman would think, "Oh my god he knows my body so well he must know what to do with it (wink, wink)". However, I could just as easily see the woman being slightly uncomfortable with a man who knows so much about her most personal (and to her, embarassing) secrets.

I nominate any kind of surgeon for the following reasons:

The money is great, the best of all kinds of doctors.

You are perceived as a lifesaver (as opposed to a dermatologist or physiatrist or something)

What you do is easily understandable (try explaining what a physiatrist does, or why you chose nephrology)

You are great with your hands

Finally, and this may be a result of the surgeon himself and not the specialty persay, but surgeons tend to have the personalities associated with sexiness. (i.e. confidence, leadership, bit of cockiness, risk-taking, etc.)

I suppose neurosurgery or heart surgery might top the list of surgical subspecialties, though people are very familiar with orthopedics as well.

I don't know about plastics, despite Nip/Tuck...some women might get turned off by the idea, as in they don't like the idea of breast implants, or they might suddenly develop a complex around you or something.

I imagine you'd meet a lot of hot daughters and granddaughers in geriatrics

I think we have a small problem-the sexiest specialty for a guy may not be the sexiest one for a girl and both guys and girls are replying. Hmmmm.

Proctology - sexy and unsexy depends on how you are standing (rimshot).

Depakote said:
Dunno. If a guy's a GYN, I could see that leading to a major backfire in the bedroom.
Not if you're into playing with gyno equipment. ;)

mchee said:
I imagine you'd meet a lot of hot daughters and granddaughers in geriatrics
"Hey, your dad's dying. Want to have dinner with me?" Is probably not the best pickup line.

Hardbody said:
Orthopods are the rockstars of medical community.

No, they are mostly thought of as the dumb jocks of the medical community.

If I met a guy who was a ped, I would think "softie". If he was a gyn, I would think "weird, I wonder why?", if he was into plastics, I would run away before he starts looking at my features and boobies with skepticism... I don't know, myabe cardiac or neuro surgeon, ER, or onc? So many to choose from.... :D

lk2230 said:
\

Peds: Less money than many other specialties, and saving kids isn't necessarily sexy. This will help you get women who are looking for the caring, compassionate type, most likely for marriage, but in terms of inspiring immediate sexual attraction it's probably not the best.

i disagree, some girls/women are really turned on by the guys that are good with children. it screams "daddy" which translates into something sexual. electra-complex anyone?

Heart surgeon

Who else can fix a broken heart?

and the least would be

Gastro

What guy/girl wants to touched by a person who sexually abuse men for a living? :eek: :p

Depakote said:

Familiarity breeds contempt, even for vaginas. Haven't you heard of the butcher that becomes a vegetarian?